Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a backpack to take on the slopes. What's the way to go?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mainly to carry a jacket, some beans, some beer. Looking for something that won't soak through after a day out in any condition.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Kijima

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,906 Posts
EVO makes good backpacks, but their smaller ones are sort of stiff, so hard to get items into them. That's a good news/bad news kind of thing, because it's the thick, strong material that's making them stiff.

USWE backpacks are great if you need one that doesn't move around on you, and they're a little more forgiving about shoving items in. But they're an import item (at least here), so you have to pay duties.

Honestly, unless you have specific requirements, Evo is probably the way to go. Lots of selection, lots of options, and generally in stock in brick and mortars. Not cheap, though.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Mainly to carry a jacket, some beans, some beer. Looking for something that won't soak through after a day out in any condition.
You are going to want one around the 25l mark then. Make sure they have wider 50mm straps in the waist for comfort. I ride with Quiksilver TR platinum 24l or Burton [ak] taft 28l. Both are Hydro compatible.

G0017829.jpg

·
Registered
997 Posts
Beans and beer? I don’t want to be riding behind you.

I have a 25 liter pack with hydration bladder. It’s great for the backcountry but it’s too much for the resort. Sitting on the lift with a big backpack sucks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
Dakine Poacher 14L is by far the best pack I've ever ridden with, and I hate riding with a pack. Carries full avy gear with room for a layer, tools, first aid, a snack and a drink. With no avy gear could definitely take as big of a load as any resort day should need. Haven't used it much yet but glad to have it.

Reactions: supern00b

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beans and beer? I don’t want to be riding behind you.

I have a 25 liter pack with hydration bladder. It’s great for the backcountry but it’s too much for the resort. Sitting on the lift with a big backpack sucks.
What size would you recommend for resort? Might take @Phedder's hint and go for something around 14L...

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
Yeah I decided to go for as low profile as possible, it's quite tall but not very deep so it's fine for riding chairlifts with. I have the same pack in a 32L for splitting and couldn't imagine trying to ride the resort with that.

If you only plan to ride resort with it, go as small as possible to fit your needs. Dakine also makes the Helipro in a 12L I think which would be another great option.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just sprung for the Osprey Kamber 22. Hope it works out..

Reactions: Phedder

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: Jack87

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
430 Posts
Osprey Kamber 16 it's not cheap but it's perfect and has a lifetime guarantee even if you're the one that messed it up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts