Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Bad core shot!

863 Views 29 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  OneRound
So I had a blast on my local hill today. Pure powder pleasure. But there was this hard and sharp root hidden underneath the goodness and I ran over it. Came to a full stop from full speed. The inpact was so hard I thought at first I hit a wired fence hidden under pow. It threw me into uncontrollable frontflip and I lost time and space for a brief moment. Luckily I鈥檓 ok but my neck hurts pretty bad. Took the board to repair shop and it might be beyond repair. To be exact, they said they can repair it but no guarantee it won鈥檛 brake because it went through the core all the way to the top base. I still rode it for two hours afterwards. It was just that good of a day 馃榿
Anyone have any experience with such deep shots?
I'm thinking if it can be repaired I could use it as my beater board.
Oh yeah btw its a Ride Superpig fiy. I bled the piggy :(

Automotive tire Hood Snow Slope Bumper

Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Font Graphite

Insect Font Metal
Reactions: kieloa
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
You say they said it went through all the way to the top sheet but your photos don't show that. Is the wood undamaged? If so you can definitely try a base weld. Large base repairs have a tendancy of not holding over long periods but they dont hurt to try and if you don't mind doing them over and over you can get a lot of life out of a board still.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You say they said it went through all the way to the top sheet but your photos don't show that. Is the wood undamaged? If so you can definitely try a base weld. Large base repairs have a tendancy of not holding over long periods but they dont hurt to try and if you don't mind doing them over and over you can get a lot of life out of a board still.
True the image doesn't show it well but I can assure you it went through. The wood is damaged and if I scrape it with my finger it starts falling out in small pieces. Still it wouldn't hurt to try I agree.

Registered
True the image doesn't show it well but I can assure you it went through. The wood is damaged and if I scrape it with my finger it starts falling out in small pieces. Still it wouldn't hurt to try I agree.
Yikes, that's rough. Then throw $5 at filling it yourself and put the rest of your money in to the new board fund cause ya, that's a stuck pig

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yikes, that's rough. Then throw $5 at filling it yourself and put the rest of your money in to the new board fund cause ya, that's a stuck pig
Luckily its not my only board so yeah you are on point. Repair tech guy told me he would charge me around 140$ for repair with no guarantee which seems way to much.

Registered
The base/edges looks in good condition other than the gouge. If the guy can do a mint repair then $140 (not sure what currency we are talking here) with a clean cutout, base repair and grind to blend together could be the best option.

Registered
I caught a fence post once, sent me tomahawking, good to hear you are ok!

There was a thread awhile back, @Phedder suggested a shop near banff, that could do the repair @lab49232 and @Craig64 are referring too. I took everyones advice and went shopping for a new board cause serious base repairs arn't cheap at all. If you go the Ptex route, listen to @speedjason hopefully a shops near you has one of the Ptex pistols.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ptex it and keep riding.
However I would take it to a shop and have it properly done.
Like I said. A have a great repair shop near me and I've been there. The guy knows his stuff and he checked the board. He even showed me some skis and a snowboard where he did a similar repair. The only problem is those weren't damaged all the way through the core like mine. Because of that he wasn't sure how the core would hold up after repair. He said it could break but noone can really know. And he would charge me a handsome ammount for repair to. Thats why I'm not sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The base/edges looks in good condition other than the gouge. If the guy can do a mint repair then $140 (not sure what currency we are talking here) with a clean cutout, base repair and grind to blend together could be the best option.
Thats exaclty the kind of repair he was talking about. A clean coutout with a complete repair including base grind and everything. He mentioned the board would have to go through the machine a couple of times and he would spent quite some time working on it. He showed me some of his work and it looked stellar but those were not such big gauges to begin with. Oh yeah we're talking about 140 USD or about 130鈧 because I'm from Europe. He justified that ammount by saying he would spend a lot of his time working on my board. I don't question his abilites because this same shop also works with ski racers in my country and I know they are very good.
So the only two concerns I have are will the core hold after repair or could it break more easily and is that cost justified.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I caught a fence post once, sent me tomahawking, good to hear you are ok!

There was a thread awhile back, @Phedder suggested a shop near banff, that could do the repair @lab49232 and @Craig64 are referring too. I took everyones advice and went shopping for a new board cause serious base repairs arn't cheap at all. If you go the Ptex route, listen to @speedjason hopefully a shops near you has one of the Ptex pistols.
Oh damn an fence? That must have been a terrible experience. My whole upper body hurts like hell today because of my incident. Forces were really strong and I'm glad its just muscles strain.
Yeah I have a cousin that has all the tools for home repair if I decide to go that route. Thanks man!

Registered
Imo the core looks pretty damaged, it will just break on any occasion. You can fill the hole, no problem, either with PTEX, glueing a piece of base etc. I wouldn't spend too much on the repair, the core shot just will just propagate. Stuff that fill core short just block water, but they offer zero mechanical resistance/flex and the crack will just keep growing (at least I would think so).

Registered
Thats exaclty the kind of repair he was talking about. A clean coutout with a complete repair including base grind and everything. He mentioned the board would have to go through the machine a couple of times and he would spent quite some time working on it. He showed me some of his work and it looked stellar but those were not such big gauges to begin with. Oh yeah we're talking about 140 USD or about 130鈧 because I'm from Europe. He justified that ammount by saying he would spend a lot of his time working on my board. I don't question his abilites because this same shop also works with ski racers in my country and I know they are very good.
So the only two concerns I have are will the core hold after repair or could it break more easily and is that cost justified.
I am pre-occupied by the absence of mention of fitting a new piece of solid base material. This is an absolute must in your situation. Clean cutting is needed in any case, but doing a hot melted coating then base grind will turn it into very nice looking base, that would last only a few days on the snow. If it's just a misunderstanding and the process includes epoxiing new base material, before a light grind and maybe hot coating over (maybe twice with as light as possible grinding/coating each time), then full wax job and edges for good measure, then the price could be OK (don't remember exactly the only time I had it done on one of my boards), and I would expect it to hold very well until the next time you ride on bare rocks. Mine still holds, after 30+ days on the snow under me + whatever my brother did with it (I ended up giving it to him).

Other options:
  • DIY semi-clean : clean cut the edges of the wound, cut a piece of base from a retired snowboard or ski, glue it (bi-component epoxy is needed), press it for 24hours, then grind it until it is level with the base, fill any remaining micro-gap with nalten (reparation candle), full wax job (assuming you do it yourself as well), and be prepared to redo the job from time to time. I have a board that have had this treatment for a shorter shot close to the edge and my wife's board with same length as you, but no full cut of fibers. I check them from time to time. I loose the added base material every once in a while on my board (typically 5 to 10 days) but the core remains sealed (there still is some epoxy), so it can still be riden even when it occurs. My wife's board has more than 15 days since the last repair.
  • DIY botch job: just put some epoxy inside the wound to seel it, let it dry, maybe add some nalten and call it a day. You'll loose some of the nalten quite quick (expect to have to refill it every 2-3 days), but the epoxy sealment should remain. I know this is not consistant with what I said about the piece of base material, but this is typically the "just want it to hold for the 2 remaining days of my vacation week" solution.

I don't believe the core of your board is too damaged. And the core itself should stay strong in the main direction of effort. The glass fibers are more of a problem, but again, the broken axis is not the main direction of effort, and I think the original epoxying to the woodcore should be enough to stop any sort of propagation.

Sorry for the multiple edit. I thought some precisions were needed.

Registered
Unfortunate dilemma鈥

But if the fix is $140, that鈥檚 like 1/3 price of a brand new end-of-season Pig in 2 months. And you won鈥檛 have that back of your mind worry of whether or not your board will hold up鈥

Registered
Put the $140 towards a new board. Your repair guy is being honest with you and is charging a lot because it鈥檚 a big repair. Will it hold? Maybe? Do you gamble?
Here鈥檚 my thinking you rode for two more hours on that base and probably did further damage to such an exposed base. At that point you made a decision about that board and what it means to you. A board is a tool not a loved one. Don鈥檛 obsess or feel bad or throw money at a problem.
Buy a replacement and put the $140 towards something you know will not break on you while you are on an expensive trip. That ends up costing more in the long run.
Ask yourself, 鈥渨ould I buy that board for $150 knowing the extent of the damage before the repair?鈥 If yes, fix it but I think we know the answer. Letting go is part of the grieving process. You鈥檙e still in denial. Acceptance will eventually come. You and piggy will always have your powder day to remember and that鈥檚 priceless!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts