Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the conditions like in Banff/Lake Louise this year? What's it like typically in Mid March? Any recommendation for lodging in Banff for one? Is renting a car recommended or the shuttle/public transportation good enough?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
There are locals who will chime in about the current conditions. We did a mid March trip a couple of years back and the conditions were excellent. Have no fear, the only question will be if you get any "freshies". Lots of and a lot of range regarding lodging. Staying in Banff, you will not need a rental. We did the coach service from Calgary airport up to Banff and then rode the local shuttle service which is outstanding and serves all three resorts very well. Everything you need is in Banff and all within an easy walk no matter where you stay. You'll have a great time. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
March is typically (fingers crossed) our snowiest month, we don't typically get big dumps (20-30cm+) but get very consistent 10cm days so the snow stays in great shape. March is a crapshoot for temperatures though, could still get a -30C swing, or some +5C days on the mountain, be prepared for both.

It's also when spring passes go on sale, so depending on how many days you'll be riding, it could be worth looking into those. Lake Louise is valid from March 1st, Sunshine usually March 15-20th or so.

As above, you really don't need a car if you're just here to ride, the shuttle service is fantastic- Banff & Lake Louise Ski Shuttle Schedules - Ski Big 3 if you want to explore the area outside of skiing at all, then a car is probably needed.

Accommodation for 1 I'd say look at the hostels for a friendly social environment, or just check booking.com for the cheapest single rooms at some of the hotel/motels. Should be relatively cheap in March, but there isn't really anywhere 'bad' to stay.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This sounds great. I've started my search for flights and lodging. Looks like I'll be spending a week in Canada this March. Thanks for the great info @Oldman and @Phedder .

·
Registered
526 Posts
Check out the hot springs for sure

Also, I'm pretty sure you can get a bus to Kicking Horse from Banff for the day. Sunshine & LL will have plenty to keep you busy all week, but it's worth the trip imo if you can swing it / conditions are good.

Have a great trip!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts