Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being the idiot that I am, I forgot to put a layer of wax on my board before putting it into storage for the summer. I just took it out now, and the base is very visibly dry.

Just wondering if I've done any damage to it, or should it be fine as long as I haven't ridden it dry?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Its visibly dry? Like a white dry crust on it?

Take your finger nail and scrape it. Did that crust go beneith you finger nail?

That is last years wax.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Being the idiot that I am, I forgot to put a layer of wax on my board before putting it into storage for the summer. I just took it out now, and the base is very visibly dry.

Just wondering if I've done any damage to it, or should it be fine as long as I haven't ridden it dry?

Thanks!
There's a whole slew of arguments about whether a base can even dry out. Just re wax it and you're good to go.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Brush out base

clean base (preferably hot wax scrape).

Apply a conditioning wax coat. from cheapo warm temp wax to even specially made products for base conditioning such as Swix Base Prep or Dominator Renew

Then apply your choice of wax.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The base of a board is made of an inert material.

It changed not one iota over the course of the summer.

Toss is on the bench, give it a coat of your finest, scrape, ride, shred, enjoy!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
The only thing that gets dry is the wax, the base will be perfectly fine. Think about it this way, if you were to go buy a 2013 board today do you think the shop waxed it every few months to make sure the base didn't get damaged.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
It's plastic. I'm no chemist but How can it dry? $5 says it's just wax that dried up.
Exactly! It wasn't "wet" in the first place, so it can't "dry". If you're worried, base clean and re-wax. I never wax my boards before the summer, just a quick rewax in the fall and they're good to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts