Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which three of these would you recommend for a first board and why?

Stats
Male
5'7
195 lbs
size 9.5-10.5 boot
Freeride/Freestyle riding style (intermediate-advanced groomers and want to learn park)

Will be pairing with 390 Boss bindings. I will be getting the 2012 board of whichever i choose so the ET will be sintered;). Anything else just ask?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot I will be riding west coast. Will be moving to CO next year hopefully. Next trip looks like lake tahoe.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
From my research (and riding the SL) the last two on your list will be more geared towards the free-ride/freestyle, while the ET is great for the park. I would love to try out the ET, just because I want to see what the TBT is all about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tech in all three seems pretty sweet. I think the ET will be a faster park board with the sintered base in 2012 which is why its on the list. Would be a playful board that can bomb down as well.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Not to throw another wrench into all of this, but I bought an arbor westmark (after riding the SL twice) one, because Im' a gear head, and two, the SL is a little stiff for my skill level right now. Others can butter/press it around, I can't. Yet. :laugh:

I will take it to Tahoe in a week and a half, with no snow on the forecast it looks to be hardpack/ice, so we'll see how the grip tech performs. The variogrip of the Sl worked well but it slipped just ever so slightly on Bear Mountain last week (snow on friday and ice on Sunday, sucks for us!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The westmark seems to be a pure park board with the rocker profile and flex. Not really what I'm looking for. Going for a camber or rocker camber preferrably. But thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Gotcha!

That's what I thought too, but reading all the reviews by users on here, they say it can bomb pretty damn well. But if it's camber/rc you want, then for sure, there are better freeride boards. Good luck with the decision, and if you get TBT tell me how it is! I want to demo one next year for sure

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've ridden all 3 boards.

Rating from stiff to soft: Lib-Tech TRS, Bataleon Evil Twin, Never Summer SL

I didn't like the flex of the TRS and Evil Twin for jibbing.

It really comes down to how much park you intend on doing. The SL is a very soft all-mountain board.

@ 5'7" and 195 lbs, what size board do you plan on getting?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha!

That's what I thought too, but reading all the reviews by users on here, they say it can bomb pretty damn well. But if it's camber/rc you want, then for sure, there are better freeride boards. Good luck with the decision, and if you get TBT tell me how it is! I want to demo one next year for sure
Gonna have to wait til next season sadly :(

I've ridden all 3 boards.

Rating from stiff to soft: Lib-Tech TRS, Bataleon Evil Twin, Never Summer SL

I didn't like the flex of the TRS and Evil Twin for jibbing.

It really comes down to how much park you intend on doing. The SL is a very soft all-mountain board.

@ 5'7" and 195 lbs, what size board do you plan on getting?
2012 ET - 157
2011 or 2012 Lib Tech TRS- 159
2011 or 2012 NS SL- 158

I really am not leaning any which way right now. I would have to spend the extra $$ on the new ET cuz i want the sintered base but the largest non-wide they have is the 157 which has a contact of 119 (same as the lib tech which is a longer board (better for powder maybe?). And the SL is right in the middle with a whopping 123 contact edge. Does this mean that it will be a faster board? I like the TRS and the SL for the money factor being able to get the 2011 in both because from what I can tell there is no big changes in either for next year's model (correct me if I'm wrong!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got a 154 ET and a 158 SL, and both are great fun boards. The ET is a little more loose and less catchy, and I actually prefer it over my SL. It's good for messing around the mountain and I'm a park noob, want to do more, but can still handle everywhere on the mountain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a 154 ET and a 158 SL, and both are great fun boards. The ET is a little more loose and less catchy, and I actually prefer it over my SL. It's good for messing around the mountain and I'm a park noob, want to do more, but can still handle everywhere on the mountain.
This is pretty much my skill level as well so i appreciate it. The ET was my original choice until ppl got me looking at the other two as well.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Just went back out on my SL, keeping in mind I'm a noob(ish) too. It's a great board. If I didn't alrady order the westmark I'd probably keep it, but with a wedding coming up I can't keep two boards.

I went to Mt High in crappy conditions today. They just got two feet of snow two weeks ago and it's all gone (spring in So Cal is here). But Im a semi-timid rider and I was flying down the hill on the SL. It is very damp, even compared to my previous stiffer board (t9 split t) this thing just feels like a dream gliding over some icy then corn then slush crap. I did hit one hill that was pure chop and it handled it pretty well, but the chop just kicked my ass, but that's more me, than the board.

A month ago, I was free-ride with no intentions of ever going into the park ... but the park kept calling. That's why the SL. I did find I was able to press today a little bit, but the board kept biting back a bit. Definitely press'able with a little more skill, something I lack right now :laugh: I can see myself picking this board back up in a year or so after messing with a softer board next season.

Handled my first ever real jumps today (before I would go over the jump but not try to catch air). The board kept me going even when I did not land cleanly, which was every jump except one ... the one where I actually used snowolf's tips on his video.

I wish I can try a TBT board just to compare. But really torn on selling the SL, but sell I must!

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is pretty much my skill level as well so i appreciate it. The ET was my original choice until ppl got me looking at the other two as well.
Yeah, it just depends on what you want. When there's a fresh dump and the snow's pretty heavy, I prefer the SL though. The RC just floats over the snow, whereas my ET would sink. But that may be because I'm using a short 154 ET compared to the 158 SL. This is my opinion of both boards so far:

Jumps: Both are good
Stability: SL, it's a little more damp, but probably due to 158 size vs 154
Carving: ET, traditional camber
Pow/Soft snow: SL, the rocker/camber just floats
Buttering: Easier to press the SL due to the RC, but it's easier to spin around and do flatland stuff with ET, since it's got the TBT. The TBT has slight advantage for being catchfree
Switch: ET, since it's a twin. SL is directional, but can still ride switch no problem
Jibbing: I suck at jibs, so can't really comment
Durability: SL, imo the NS quality is much better than Bataleon. 3 year warranty NS vs. 2 year warranty Bataleon. The very first day riding the Bataleon, I had a gouge out of the topsheet. Just last week I touched my buddy's board and there's 2 big chips out of the topsheet again. My SL still looks mint after a season.

Hope that gives you some insight! I couldn't decide. That's why I bought both LOL. I'm wanting to try an NS Evo or a Bataleon Jam next year. I love NS and Bataleon! You can't go wrong with either of them. They will be fun guaranteed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much do you weigh? I dont want a board that's gonna sink in pow. The most annoying thing for me is when you have to take a flat green to get to the run you want and your board cant get through less than 6in of powder. GRRR for having to unlatch bindings and skate to a decent slope. If you havent read my previous thread I rode a 150 board that was way too short for my weight and this was a constant problem all week.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm 5'11" and 175lbs. The ET is short for my weight, but it's for messing around the mountain. I can't comment on how a 157 ET would do in pow though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I am set on the Bataleon ET. The 2012 looks to be promising with the new shape and the TBT is an intriguing tech that I would like to get on while I am learning the park. Seems to be playful and forgiving. The longer size board and new shape should help cruising the mountain too. Anyone know the demo locations and dates for next season?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts