Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up, Backcountry is doing a deal on their outlet items. By entering the code "SAVE40" at checkout you can bump any outlet deal up to 40% off, and they are also running free 2 day shipping as well.

I just grabbed an Ortovox 3+ beacon (Ortovox 3+ Beacon | Backcountry.com) for $210 marked down from $350. Seems to be a good beacon and got a high rating from beaconreviews.com (Ortovox 3+ Avalanche Transceiver Review and Specifications)

I'm not affiliated in Backcountry in any way so let's not get into that douchebaggery. Just trying to give fellow members a heads up.

Also if anyone has any deals better than this, please let me know so I can possibly save a few bucks! I still need to get a 157+ pow deck...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Saw it yesterday! Planning on making another order tonight with one in it. Well worth it. They've got the Mammut Barryvox Pulse on too when I was shopping yesterday.

I don't shop hard but they're rarely cheap from what I've seen. They don't go on sale like outerwear or boards.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I really haven't seen too many deals on beacons so I figured this was worth posting. The damn things are expensive so I've been scrounging trying to find a deal.

Got a probe set for $27 shipped too... just need to find a good deal on a shovel and I'll be set. Best I've found is the "lifeline" shovels from Costco @ $30/pair but I'm looking for something a little more dependable.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Holy shit, might have to pick up one of those Ortovox 3+ for that price. Hard to trust my BCA after the battery shenanigans it's pulled in the past.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Just a heads up. If any of you are going to do the ride with the pooch thing. The Pieps DSP is the only beacon that works with the Pieps alternate frequency doggie beacon.

So if you are planning to do the dog in the bc thing get the Pieps. It is a great beacon anyway. Arguably the best out there along side the 3+ and the Mammut Pulse.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tracker2, 240 probe and their regular extendable shovel.
Wow man that is a serious bargain. Good grab!

Just out of curiosity, how long are beacons generally good for? I've heard that after some period of time they will no longer transmit at the right frequency? I've been that idiot riding out of bounds without any avvy gear for the last few seasons so I've got a lot to learn with this new equipment.

·
Registered
964 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how long are beacons generally good for? I've heard that after some period of time they will no longer transmit at the right frequency? I've been that idiot riding out of bounds without any avvy gear for the last few seasons so I've got a lot to learn with this new equipment.
I'm pretty sure you can send them in to get checked and made sure everything is working properly.

Or just check it against another beacon you have at home. There is a functionality check list from online from BCA. https://s3.amazonaws.com/BackcountryAccess/content/inspection+documents/Testing_Tracker2.pdf

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Picked up 3 avalungs for $30/ea too. Next are packs. I think my bca deal is like $350 or something like that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picked up 3 avalungs for $30/ea too. Next are packs. I think my bca deal is like $350 or something like that.
You see another deal for those avalungs PLEASE let me know. It's next on my list of things to get and I can't afford to spend anywhere near $120

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Just jumped on the 3+, its about half the price of the same unit here in Japan.

They will ship here too, but its pricey at 50 bucks, why can't these companies have several international shipping options:dunno:. It should be about 30$ for such a light item.

Anyway good call on this thread:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just jumped on the 3+, its about half the price of the same unit here in Japan.

They will ship here too, but its pricey at 50 bucks, why can't these companies have several international shipping options:dunno:. It should be about 30$ for such a light item.

Anyway good call on this thread:thumbsup::thumbsup:.
No problem brotha, you can repay me by showing me around if I ever make it to your corner of the world :laugh:

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
No need for a probe or shovel and no desire for another BCA beacon. Ever.
Linville has seen first hand what has been quietly said in retail shops and the industry in general for years now. Buyer beware. Hopefully new ownership will straighten them out. Not sure if this year is looking good or not.

Another spot to check for beacons is sierra trading post. I picked up my new pieps for $220 there. Sign up for their email and you get codes for 30-40% or more off on already discounted items. The DSP went from $300 to what I paid.

It is a bit more of a game there but if you play it right. I could of gotten the Pieps for under $200 if I had jumped on the previous days code on that day but I missed it.

Regardless, you all know the drill. The best beacon is the one you know how to use. Practice, practice, practice...

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts

The diodes, crystals, magical unicorn dust can start seriously breaking down after 5 years causing frequency drift. If it happens most manufacturers can fix it. Costs vary. After you have used your beacon for a couple of seasons it is a good idea to get it tested. Frequency drift is another reason you do beacon checks before you go out. Generally after 5 years it is time to start thinking about getting a new one. Though the beacon I just replaced went 8 years but I was having it checked every year for the last 5 and it passed.

Like anything else they have their useful life span.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts