Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a season pass this year. I primarily only ride at Snow Summit because it's less crowded and I'm not really interested in park. I'm wondering if it's worth it to get the dual mountain season pass because I can't get a Snow Summit only season pass or should I just try somewhere else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you thought about getting a Mammoth season pass? I think you can get it for $300(?) if you are a student. If not, it should be about the same price as an Anytime Bear/Snow Summit pass.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me I would do mammoth if I could. I would love to have a pass to Mammoth but it is just to far to go as much as I would like to. I can't really take time off to go boarding for a month either because my job won't allow. I'm on the central coast right in the middle of Big Bear and China Peak. The closest resort time wise is Mt High. I really don't want to get a pass there though.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Big bear is al ot of park, but it's worth it for the canyons the 1-5 times a year there's enough snow. Keep in mind bring a board you can beat up because there are a lot of rocks. It's still a lot of fun there

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
As a former SoCal rider, I would recommend both. I wasn't into park either, but there is some super fun pow terrain around the higher lifts that makes having access to both worth it. It's not hard to avoid the packs at Bear. Just stick to the south side of the resort.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Trust me I would do mammoth if I could. I would love to have a pass to Mammoth but it is just to far to go as much as I would like to. I can't really take time off to go boarding for a month either because my job won't allow. I'm on the central coast right in the middle of Big Bear and China Peak. The closest resort time wise is Mt High. I really don't want to get a pass there though.
Smart decision. Avoid the LA crowds.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As a former SoCal rider, I would recommend both. I wasn't into park either, but there is some super fun pow terrain around the higher lifts that makes having access to both worth it. It's not hard to avoid the packs at Bear. Just stick to the south side of the resort.
But the duel pass is so expensive. What do you know about Snow Valley?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
But the duel pass is so expensive. What do you know about Snow Valley?
It gets two thirds of the snow bear gets, gets soft quicker as it's lower in elevation and much less terrain. My parents own a house 5min from valley. If your gonna spend the money, at least get a bear or summit pass. Summit is fun, lots of terrain. If your really strapped, just go summit and avoid the crowds like you said. After your first year of a season pass,you'll know whether or not to get a combo the next year.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
If your that close to china peak, how much further is kirkwood?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had the Dual Mountain Mid-Week Pass + Sunday Pass (Sun-Friday) and it was like $400 I believe? It was well worth it for me as I used it 10+ times. Big Bear is awesome when it has a good powder day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As much as I want to get the Dual Mountain pass so I can go to summit all I want, I'm thinking that it's going to be to expensive and I'm probably going to end up going with the mountain high pass.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Mt High sucks. Really bad. The lifts are super slow. And then the runs are short. And there isn't a lot of terrain. When they have the east resort going it's a little better but still not great.

I go, because well it's better than not snowboarding. But if you're going to buy a pass get the dual pass. Do you really need Saturday access? The Sun+midweek isn't too bad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mt High sucks. Really bad. The lifts are super slow. And then the runs are short. And there isn't a lot of terrain. When they have the east resort going it's a little better but still not great.

I go, because well it's better than not snowboarding. But if you're going to buy a pass get the dual pass. Do you really need Saturday access? The Sun+midweek isn't too bad.
Saturday would really help. I'm in the military and it's about a 3.5 to 4 hour drive for me to get there. I'm not going to be able to take multiple days off because half of my shop is deploying, so saturday and those holidays they black out are kind of ideal.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You must be near us - we're in Ventura and are 3-3 1/2 hours to Snow Summit. We have the dual passes as we go up there every weekend and therefore we need weekends. We are much older and don't do Park and haven't been to Bear Mountain. We rented a condo at the base of Summit for 4 months and walk to the lifts. We work during the week and can't get there during the week so we need weekends - and to make the passes worth it we make the trip every weekend. Basically rather than take a nice vacation to somewhere we use the money towards the condo and passes and therefore feel we need to get our money's worth - plus I'm still working on my snowboarding skills. We love Summit - just wish our kids would snowboard with us - two don't live here, 1 doesn't like cold and the other works weekends - no grandkids yet either... and friends are all racked up and old and won't even try - I think we need to adopt some active kids!!!

We learned at Mt. High and got passes one year - never again - after going to Summit - we can't IMAGINE going back to Mt. High.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I got my Mt High pass, if you need someone to ride with up there. Yea it may not be the best resort but its only 40 mins away from me and it gets the job done.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts