Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well shopping for a board for the wife got me thinking. 6yrs is a long time with the same deck. Got a bonus at work why not buy us both boards.
I'm 5'9" 180. 11 boot. I can use my current setup around here which is flatland South Dakota ice hills. But when I go to vail this dec I want to ride the mountain spend time in trees looking for drops. Maybe half a day in park hitting rails just to say I did (which I could use my current board for as well)
Found this: Best All Mountain Snowboards - The-House.com

I did my own research I'm leaning on the Rossi One magtek 156

I know there's a million other boards but how'd i do with my research

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the k2 was 2nd on the list. I just bought some rome 390 bindings for my current but they will be used for the new board now.

·
Registered
485 Posts
yep i noticed, universally gets solid reviews from what i've seen. and i am the type to scour the interweb for any bad reviews..

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
156 may be a little short for your weight. Especially if you're looking for a freeride machine. I prefer something around a 159-160 for the fluffy stuff!

·
Registered
730 Posts
yeah, definitely go up from a 156. The One Magtek is a really solid board. One of my riding buds has a 159 and can destroy anything from waist deep to icy shit. I have ridden it and its edge hold is unreal...its a perfect do anything board.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have 2 159" listed one regular and other has 2cm setback for stance. Since I'm gearing all mnt I should look at the regular stance correct? The only plus of the 2cm setback board is it has a cooler design. Don't care about looks period jus sayin.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
They have 2 159" listed one regular and other has 2cm setback for stance. Since I'm gearing all mnt I should look at the regular stance correct? The only plus of the 2cm setback board is it has a cooler design. Don't care about looks period jus sayin.
For a freeride board you want the setback. IMHO centred stance is only worthwhile for riding switch. Otherwise pretty much all conditions can benefit from some level of setback.

Why would they list the same board with and without setback?!? :dunno: Site error maybe?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I like the idea of setback, should stabilize more for bombing runs and better float for pow. But I ride switch to much don't think I could.
Edit:maybe I should say I land switch too much, and stay switch to ride out

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yo man, i can give you my opinion since i've ridden both quite a bit. I ride a turbo dream, have a 2011 model and bought a 2013 model to replace it this season. My favorite board yet. My brother has a magtech one rossi, and we've switched back and forth plenty.

Basically they feel very similar. The turbo dream is lighter. The profile of the boards feel very similar, and the flex on the boards is close - the turbo dream being a bit more playful.

My opinion would be, if you need the magne-traction for icy conditions go for the MAG1, if you don't go for whatever you can find cheaper.

Also the rossi came apart after one season, started de-laminating at the edge. He noticed it at the end of last year, and contacted them this summer. They sent him a brand new board to replace it because of a manufacturing defect. So -1 on board quality, but +2 on customer service with no questions asked. I'd still get a rossi.

Both boards were 157W. I'd ride either of them.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Looking again at your options, if you're really looking for a true freeride board, you'll want something with taper. The Turbo Dream and Rossi One are both directional twins (i.e. the tip and tail are the same width). Taper is a good thing on a freeride board.

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is not a threadjack!!! But I'm also debating between these two boards (and a few others) as well. Would love to hear any more details that come to mind comparing the two.

How would you compare the pop on ollies/natural jumps? Which board helps more blasting through the crud and chop (given the legs and knees allow)?

Sounds like the K2 flat/baseline profile rides pretty similar to camrock. True?

Thanks man!

Yo man, i can give you my opinion since i've ridden both quite a bit. I ride a turbo dream, have a 2011 model and bought a 2013 model to replace it this season. My favorite board yet. My brother has a magtech one rossi, and we've switched back and forth plenty.

Basically they feel very similar. The turbo dream is lighter. The profile of the boards feel very similar, and the flex on the boards is close - the turbo dream being a bit more playful.

My opinion would be, if you need the magne-traction for icy conditions go for the MAG1, if you don't go for whatever you can find cheaper.

Also the rossi came apart after one season, started de-laminating at the edge. He noticed it at the end of last year, and contacted them this summer. They sent him a brand new board to replace it because of a manufacturing defect. So -1 on board quality, but +2 on customer service with no questions asked. I'd still get a rossi.

Both boards were 157W. I'd ride either of them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I went to my local shop, they mostly stock the burton in this territory. Didn't have the dream, didn't have the machete. Sooo I went with my original gut but with your advice grabbed the 159 over the 156. Thanks guys gunna be a good year

Already got it hot waxed and set up

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts