Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...my son wants to pick up snow boarding and wants me to learn with him since I long board with him now. I'm 6'4" 290. Could anyone point me in the right direction for size board and type. As well as binding recommendations! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
It is never too late to learn! Step 1 is to get a properly fitted boot:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well...my son wants to pick up snow boarding and wants me to learn with him since I long board with him now. I'm 6'4" 290. Could anyone point me in the right direction for size board and type. As well as binding recommendations! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Welcome! Since you're just starting out and don't have a defined riding style yet I'd satrt looking for something in the "all mountain " category. That would be your jack of all trades board. I really don't know enough about you to recommend a specific board. At your height/weight you're likely looking at 165cm as a minimum start point on a traditionally shaped board. Depending on foot size you'll possibly need a wider board too if you're over a US 11 boot. With the info provided that's the best start I can give.

Edit: shoot a message to Wiredsport on here. He's great at guiding new riders on the issues of gear fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome! Since you're just starting out and don't have a defined riding style yet I'd satrt looking for something in the "all mountain " category. That would be your jack of all trades board. I really don't know enough about you to recommend a specific board. At your height/weight you're likely looking at 165cm as a minimum start point on a traditionally shaped board. Depending on foot size you'll possibly need a wider board too if you're over a US 11 boot. With the info provided that's the best start I can give.

Edit: shoot a message to Wiredsport on here. He's great at guiding new riders on the issues of gear fit.
Thank you so much...

Also I'm a size 12 shoe.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thank you so much...

Also I'm a size 12 shoe.
Shoe doesn't always equate to the boot which is why talking to Wired is a good idea. There are some boards specifically built for burlier riders. Boards like the Skunk Ape from Lib Tech and I'm sure there are a few more escaping me right now. Best of luck in your search!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have dived into this forum especially, for the Boot sizing and am going to need some convincing, I am almost there but! I have been wearing a US10 shoe EU43, I think because my feet are wider. I measure up at 26.5cm for length of both left and right foot and 10.8cm for width for both left and right foot; so from most of what I am reading that makes me deformed, both left and right being the same size :). Plugging the length into the snowboardbootsizer (thanks for that, very useful), it is telling me I need a pair of 8.5US Boots (1.5 sizes down). But I am believe this would require a wide fitting boot as my foot is a good 1cm wider than standard medium for a size 8.5US (all measurements barefoot). Adding 2mm for socks does take me up to a 9US, so I am thinking a US9 Wide is the way to go. Is there anything wrong with my thinking here?

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
I have dived into this forum especially, for the Boot sizing and am going to need some convincing, I am almost there but! I have been wearing a US10 shoe EU43, I think because my feet are wider. I measure up at 26.5cm for length of both left and right foot and 10.8cm for width for both left and right foot; so from most of what I am reading that makes me deformed, both left and right being the same size :). Plugging the length into the snowboardbootsizer (thanks for that, very useful), it is telling me I need a pair of 8.5US Boots (1.5 sizes down). But I am believe this would require a wide fitting boot as my foot is a good 1cm wider than standard medium for a size 8.5US (all measurements barefoot). Adding 2mm for socks does take me up to a 9US, so I am thinking a US9 Wide is the way to go. Is there anything wrong with my thinking here?
Hi Sean,
Based on these measurements you are Mondopoint 265 or size 8.5 US in snowboard boots. 10.8 cm is an EEE width which requires a very specific boot. Before we get too deep we should see images of your four barefoot measurements to confirm this.

STOKED!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm not out of shape I'm actually a body builder, but you are correct on flexibility
Hip strength/mobility is also very important with snowboarding, and of course balance & flexibility.
Get in shape if you're not already. Yoga is helpful. Angry recommends it too. A good app is Skill Yoga. Helps with flexibility, strength, balance and is easy on the knees.
I love Yoga and practice 1-2 times a week, for at least 30 minutes per session. Have been doing Yoga for nearly 10 years now and I will never stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Sean,
Based on these measurements you are Mondopoint 265 or size 8.5 US in snowboard boots. 10.8 cm is an EEE width which requires a very specific boot. Before we get too deep we should see images of your four barefoot measurements to confirm this.

STOKED!
Hi Sean,

STOKED!
Hi Wired,

Attached are images, tape on paper is just for a visual, I went for more accurate measurements by getting a third party involved in marking the lines, which I then measured, as did the third party with a different tape, and we agreed on the following: Lengths: Left is 26.7 and Right is 26.65. Width still 10.8 for both.

I would still like to go for step in but realize options are limited. Any advice would be gratefully feceived.

Thank You

Sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Hi Sean,

Thanks for taking those. I have it now. 26.65 is Mondopoint 270 or size 9 US in snowboard boots. 10.8 cm is EE width at this size. Your one foot is reversed in your width images from what is typically required, but I can see what is going on there so no need to reshoot.

I would strongly suggest the Burton Ruler Wide in size 9. I would not suggest the Step- on version as they are very often uncomfortable for your foot width and type. Especially over time.

If the assistance provided has been helpful to you, your positive reviews on either of the sites below (or both) would be greatly appreciated. STOKED!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank You Wired Sport,

If I go Ruler Wide, as you have suggested, and as I most likely will, is there any particular binding that is easier to use to accommodate the lack of flexibility I have on my right side. I was considering step-on as a way to address this issue. To put it into context I have a board and boots (1 size too big!) purchased very cheap just to get an idea and I currently place te boot in the binding first before I put in my foot!

Cheers

Sean

1 - 20 of 23 Posts