Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Beginner-ish advice on carving.

521 4
Hey guys, I've got a new board this season and it's taking some time to get used to. I'm having an issue where I'll get locked into a carve on my heelside and I was looking for some advice on how to prevent or get out of this situation. When I get locked in, it feels like I have no control and I have to just ride it out until I eventually fall on my butt.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without seeing how you actually ride, it's hard to tell what you are doing.
I am gonna guess you have your legs straight and bent at the waist so your board is on heel edge but your center of gravity can't be changed.
Yes! I wasn't sure why it was happening but this description sounds like exactly what I'm doing. So is the answer to just not fully extend my legs or fully extend them later in the carve?

· Registered
510 Posts
Hard to tell without seeing and or more details. One common mistake that makes the board ride by itself until the end of the turn is to overrotate the shoulder—hips will follow— and be a lot on the back foot. The beginning of a heelside carve you should let your body pretty aligned, if not open, with your previous trajectory. For some people it means just let the board set on edge before turning, for others it means actively counter-rotating the shoulders. You'll see that on the toe-side, we naturally leave our shoulders a bit open at the beginning of the turn, before closing in.

XV advises so in this great vid:

That and being really centered on your two feet. Once you master carving with equal weight on each feet, solidly anchored on your board, you will be able to start transfering weight front to back foot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts