Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have recently caught the snowboarding fever big time after coming back from my school's annual ski trip. I loved every second of it, and was nailing black runs by the 3rd day. and have already started saving for next years trip. I also hope to purchase a snowboard quite soon.

I am currently looking at the 2013 GNU Pickle PBTX, and was wondering if anybody has had any experience on it? I am looking for a board that has a nice pop, has a medium flex and can do well in both park and mountain, and the Pickle seems ideal.

I spent most of my time on the mountain and stayed away from the park for most of the trip, but the last couple of days I started hitting some tables and rails and really took a liking to it.

I'm around 5ft 11 and 60-70 kgs. Would a 156 be ideal?

·
Registered
730 Posts
156 would work, might be a bit big if you're hitting up the park. You could get away with 152-156 for all mountain with your weight.

not sure what you were using this year, but the pickle is full rocker..definitely leaning toward the park side of all mountain. Answer these to give the board more to go on:

Have you looked at any other boards? whats your budget? what did you learn on (camber-wise and size wise)? how big are your feet? most importantly, whats available to you down there!?!? limited options may be a blessing in disguise as its fewer boards to wade through!

Edit: I creeped your posts and see you were on a flat camber burton...you claimed to have liked it. Here are a few good all mountain boards I think may suit you with flat-ish camber:

Salomon Drift (Personally I think the best fit for you)
Salomon Sabotage (not flat, but i good board for what you discribe)
Ride Crook
Capita Outdoor Living

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
156 would work, might be a bit big if you're hitting up the park. You could get away with 152-156 for all mountain with your weight.

not sure what you were using this year, but the pickle is full rocker..definitely leaning toward the park side of all mountain. Answer these to give the board more to go on:

Have you looked at any other boards? whats your budget? what did you learn on (camber-wise and size wise)? how big are your feet? most importantly, whats available to you down there!?!? limited options may be a blessing in disguise as its fewer boards to wade through!

Edit: I creeped your posts and see you were on a flat camber burton...you claimed to have liked it. Here are a few good all mountain boards I think may suit you with flat-ish camber:

Salomon Drift (Personally I think the best fit for you)
Salomon Sabotage (not flat, but i good board for what you discribe)
Ride Crook
Capita Outdoor Living
Thanks for the feedback! i wear 9.5 size shoes.
Im looking to spend $400 or less. The board that I learnt on was the Burton LTR and was great to ride, but quite heavy when it came to the park, as well as ollies, butters, etc. I would like a board that can help me to improve on those certain things, but while still having the all mountain experience i had.

The boards you recommended were great, but it seems as though they are more park than all mountain and the pickle seemed as though it was an all mountain board with a park edge, but I'm probably wrong about that. the Capita Outdoor Living looks nice, but I really want to try out a rocker. Also, a friend with experience in riding Salomon said that they're a bit of a hit and miss?

There's not much available where I live. there's only one ski shop in the city, and they have Burton, but it's extremely limited. I will most likely be ordering from the mainland. I have looked at many boards, and the pickle seems the most enticing so far.

Please excuse me if I make absolutely no sense, I just finished work and I'm wasted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump, found a board I really like. the Gnu Carbon Credit 2014. I am so close to confirming my decision on this board, but what would my ideal snowboard size be if:

Weight: 70-75kg

Height: around 5'11''

Boot size: 28.5 (Mondo)

Thanks, I've been getting different answers from different sources and I just decided to see if I could get an answer here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

The 156 will be perfect. Gnu's weight range is 110-210 and while no board actually has that large of a core range, you are well centered in it - and that is what counts. It is ideal for your foot size.

STOKED!
Thanks heaps dude!
Will be ordering next week. Super excited.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I loved every second of it, and was nailing black runs by the 3rd day.
"Nailing" black runs by the 3rd day...right.:icon_scratch: Not trying to rain on your parade, but eventually you'll understand. However, welcome to the sport and I dig your stoke. Glad to see more people getting the fever.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Nailing" black runs by the 3rd day...right.:icon_scratch: Not trying to rain on your parade, but eventually you'll understand. However, welcome to the sport and I dig your stoke. Glad to see more people getting the fever.
Haha, I understand. Well, in my opinion a flawless black run while carving properly means i nailed it personally :)

Thanks for the welcome :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts