Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I just started snowboarding recently and have gone about 4 times. I am pretty decent and looking to make a purchase so I no longer have to pay so much on rentals. I checked a few sites to get tips on what a beginner wants to look for in a board and I think I am looking for one with similar specs to this one. Although any tips you guys have in something I should change would be appreciated.

Arbor Formula Snowboard 2016 + Flux TT Snowboard Bindings | evo

Also if anyone has any boots they would recommend that would be great, going to be checking out a local board shop this Friday. I ride goofy but also like to ride switch a lot so I think i would prefer a Directional Twin.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Boots are most important. I can't recommend any because it is all based on what fits your foot. Each company's boot will fit a little different. Try lots of different ones from different companies. Get the best boot you can afford, don't cut corners on the boots.

·
Registered
140 Posts
definitely what Wasabi said! If you are gonna drop a lot of dough on gear, drop it on boots first. Make sure you get boots that fit properly and are comfortable……if your feet hurt, then your day is gonna be short and a complete misery :D

Personally, the advice I give to beginners is not to worry too much about board and bindings. If it locks you down and slides you down the hill, then for a beginner its got all the tech you need :) I don't see the point in splashing out big cash on a high end board when you are slip-sliding your way down the hill and sitting on your arse a lot. I suppose you perhaps should pay more attention to the bindings than the board, you can always put the bindings on your other board when your skills improve. IMO I'd put more coin into them in this order……Boots >> Bindings >> Board

In Japan we have a really good 2nd hand used chain store called Book Off. It sells everything from books (obviously) to clothes, snowboards, surfboards, goggles……EVERYTHING!! You can pick up good bargains there on snowboards n bindings if you are prepared to rake out the diamonds in the rough. I always direct noob friends there to buy a used board. They can throw it around and abuse it for a couple of seasons for very little cash and then when they have got their shit together they can go lay down some decent coin for a decent board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As the Wasabi and Tubby have said, I would spend the money on boots first and foremost. As far as recommendations go, it's really hard to recommend boots since there is a lot preference and fit issues involved. You may wanna nail down what you want in a boot before taking recommendations. What kind of riding do you want to get into? That will determine whether or not you want a softer or stiffer boot. Are you interested in hiking lines? That'll determine the kind of sole you want (i.e. if you wanna spend extra for a boot with vibram soles). Do you have any fit issues, a wide foot, high arches, etc...

I would say go to the shop, have one of their fitters go through a few brands with you and note how they feel. Walk around in them a lot in the store. Try boots true to size, a half size up and a down.

Don't spend a lot of money on bindings for now. As a beginner, you won't have the feel to appreciate the small advantages an expensive binding gets you. Just figure out what kind of binding feels best to you, soft or stiff. Make sure you set up the highback correctly.

As for the board; find something cheap with rockers. The only reason why rockers are good for beginners is that it will make the board easier to turn and you'll catch your edges less often. It'll also help in deeper snow. Camber is less important as a beginner. It doesn't really come into play until you start to ride steeper and faster and so won't really give you much of a benefit.

If you have money left over, spend it on good gloves and socks. Sometimes people overlook the basics. Googles are also worth spending a little bit of money on as good vision will help your confidence, especially in flat light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts