Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to get a new board for nxt season.

I used rentals this season/last.

I am beginner snowboard who got linking turns down.

Abit on the heavy side with 90kgs and size 9-9.5 shoe size.

I have narrowed it down to SL or Proto. My style of riding is mostly all mountain i don't do any park at all.

However i am still not very comfy on high speeds :D Might have something to do with rentals i used they got very unstable when i got some speed.

However i am also afraid that i am not buying a board which will punish me a lot for mistakes i make since i am still learning..

Would any of those 2 be good for me? or should i look for another board?

Any help would be nice really.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
If you're not looking for park at all why is the Proto even on the list? At your ability level by the time you can really use the SL the way it needs it'll have lost a fair chunk of its "life". Everyone here raves and rants about NS and their wild durability, fact is their boards start to get pretty dead after 60-70 hard days. You'll also probably get tons of people in here stating claims theirs are just like new after 100 days. No. The contruction style doesn't hold life like boards built overseas.

Anyway. I'd be a little more budget minded. Shoot for something a little cheaper that blends ease of ride with long term rideablility. Boards like the K2 Raygun, 2014 Salomon Time Machine, Bataleon Whatever, or a Yes Basic. All of those are easy to ride and won't hold you back as you get better. Then once you're better and maybe have a little more dialed idea of what exact facet of riding yiu like you spend more on something more performance oriented.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
maybe Heritage if you are set on NS and no park. It should give you more stability at your size as well. For this reason ignore Cobra it is too soft for you big boy.

edit: I agree with what Nivek says about the life of an NS but that is also 60-70 days HARD charging, while a newbie with a Heritage could easily get a few seasons out of it before they really start to press it out.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
maybe Heritage if you are set on NS and no park. It should give you more stability at your size as well. For this reason ignore Cobra it is too soft for you big boy.

edit: I agree with what Nivek says about the life of an NS but that is also 60-70 days HARD charging, while a newbie with a Heritage could easily get a few seasons out of it before they really start to press it out.
Unless I'm doing my math wrong isn't 90kg only 200lbs? Not THAT heavy in terms of a boards capability to be ridden.

I appreciate someone else noticing the life span, but is it really worth trying to learn on a Heritage when easier and cheaper options exist? Meh. Also while the 200lbs isn't hard to fit, that much weight is going to effect board life faster than 150lbs on a 154 (me).

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I am going to say that board performance is noticeably different on any deck after 60-70 days. I've never seen anyone make a board that isn't. That is just how it is. Is the board worth the premium you pay for it betweene those times? For Never Summer a lot of people will say yes. I do for what I like to ride. Their boards fit that mold. It is not necessarily what you need either. Nivek's point is valid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys..

Reason why i have Neversummer in there is because most shops actually told me to get them..

Don't know if its a sales gimmick..

Also on forums i see people telling beginners to get SL or Proto..

The reason why i put Proto in there was because its softer and more of a 1board that can do it all :D

I really appreciate you being honest..

I am getting a really good deal on Capita Horrorscope for half the prize really.

But is the board any good for my needs?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I think the horrorscope will be fine for you. It's a great board it's flat & reverse camber so it will be a bit more forgiving.

It's a pretty soft board so it won't be the best at high speeds. My rec would be to get the 155. I'm around your weight and I found that the 155 is great for cruising around the mountain, and then when you are ready, venture into the park. It won't be the most stable at higher speeds.

I honestly prefer shorter boards that's why I got 155. I take mobility over stability especially when you are still pretty new.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts

Reason why i have Neversummer in there is because most shops actually told me to get them..
Of course. It's expensive.

I am getting a really good deal on Capita Horrorscope for half the prize really.

Do not buy that. It is strictly a jib board. One I hated in fact. It will be more unstable than a rental board.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Don't know if its a sales gimmick..

Also on forums i see people telling beginners to get SL or Proto..

The reason why i put Proto in there was because its softer and more of a 1board that can do it all :D

I really appreciate you being honest..

I just ordred the proto this weekend, I have a horrorscope, i like that the corner edges dont catch and slam u into the snow!

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Don't ride lazy and sloppy and you won't catch an edge and get slammed. If you want a board to be a little less catchy, just detune the contact points. Catching an edge is always 100% on the rider though. Certain camber profiles and sidecuts can be less catchy than others, but if you catch an edge on any board you fucked up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am seriously thinking abt getting the Proto :D

Ive been looking into the Skate banana but it just seems very expensive.

The proto might not been that easy to learn on but atleast its a board i can keep for 2-3years..

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I am seriously thinking abt getting the Proto :D

Ive been looking into the Skate banana but it just seems very expensive.

The proto might not been that easy to learn on but atleast its a board i can keep for 2-3years..
Are you deliberately ignoring us? 1. Skate Banana is not what you should be looking into, its a fairly useless park board. B. How is that too expensive? The proto retails for $100 more than that. III. If you have no interest in park why are you looking at true twins at all?

Go look at the boards I recommended you earlier.

You came here for advice, maybe try listening to it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
QUOTE=linvillegorge;984769]Don't ride lazy and sloppy and you won't catch an edge and get slammed. If you want a board to be a little less catchy, just detune the contact points. Catching an edge is always 100% on the rider though. Certain camber profiles and sidecuts can be less catchy than others, but if you catch an edge on any board you fucked up.[/QUOTE]

i will do that when my proto shows up, thanx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went with yes basic.

Will wait with other boards until i know what type riding i like most :)

Thx for the help.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Regarding boards becoming "dead", how can I tell if this happens to my board? I imagine its a gradual subtle change over the course of time, and I doubt Ill be able to spot it.. Kind of like the frog-in-boiling-water effect. What are some key indicators to watch out for?

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Good choice on the Basic. I sold tons of those this year, its a well done board for a great price.

Regarding boards becoming "dead", how can I tell if this happens to my board? I imagine its a gradual subtle change over the course of time, and I doubt Ill be able to spot it.. Kind of like the frog-in-boiling-water effect. What are some key indicators to watch out for?
It's all about being able to tell what the boards "should" feel like. They lose liveliness, don't snap as hard as they used to, not as quick and nimble up on edge, kinda soggy feeling.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would check out a Ride Machete. Pretty beast boards and they are good in just about anything. They are super cheap too.
I've been pretty happy with mine. Solid all around board.

First time I rode it in powder my back leg was burning. That was completely my own fault for leaving the bindings centred with no stance setback though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've been pretty happy with mine. Solid all around board.

First time I rode it in powder my back leg was burning. That was completely my own fault for leaving the bindings centred with no stance setback though.
You know.... you just solved my only problem with the board.... <3 I love you.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts