Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Still looking for the perfect ride. This season we didn't have too many deep days to test. Honestly, the Neversummer Swift 157 was very good (had it for two seasons), but I just didnt like it's performance in the variable rutted out stuff. I'm hoping that I'll love the Souly Grail 157 in pow and on piste. I hear it rides smaller than the size in comparison to the surfari and is more torsionally soft which I think was the reason i didn't get along with the surfari in tight stuff.

It's always a balancing act, but I feel like volume shifted boards just have too many negatives for me to always ride, but possibly I just need a stiffer one (Telos Backslash)?

Right now I own about seven boards (with two on the way). My ideal quiver would be six boards:

• Rock Board (Don't have one right now)
  • Park Board (Amplid Stereo 155, would have preferred one size down I think)
  • All mountain board (Weston Range)
  • Carving Board (Amplid Pentaquark)
  • Pow/Trees (K2 Niseko Pleasures)
  • Splitboard (Amplid Surf Shuttle)

The Souly Grail may replace the Niseko pleasures.. we'll see.

The Amplid Singular 154 may replace the Weston Range 155 (if I pick one up) and the Range may stay on as my eventual rock board.

The Moss Jellyfish may be just a novelty board or it may alternate with my pentaquark for carving... It's too expensive of a board to ride on most powder days here or in variable stuff. I'll destroy it. Maybe a 7th board category would be the rare novelty quiver ride if I choose to keep it.
Just arrived
Wood Material property Publication Font Automotive tire

·
Registered
259 Posts
just in case that souly grail doesnt.........., work out for you..............................
I rode the Souly Grail 157 today in slushy, slow conditions and it was fun. Need to get it out in harder snow, but first impressions are good. It feels like a softer and less powerful / more playful Surfari, which could be exactly what I'm looking for. I loved the Surfari on groomers and big open faces, but in tight stuff it fell apart for me. I think that was because I only weigh 155lbs. A softer Surfari is just what the doctor ordered.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I rode the Souly Grail 157 today in slushy, slow conditions and it was fun. Need to get it out in harder snow, but first impressions are good. It feels like a softer and less powerful / more playful Surfari, which could be exactly what I'm looking for. I loved the Surfari on groomers and big open faces, but in tight stuff it fell apart for me. I think that was because I only weigh 155lbs. A softer Surfari is just what the doctor ordered.
Sometimes it's probably just cheaper to drink beers and eat hamburgers to meet the weigh in

·
Registered
259 Posts
Was able to try out the Moss Jellyfish in spring slush conditions for 90 minutes today. It's true what they say, these Step Back Rocker profile Moss boards (Moss Snowstick — Snowstick) are totally different and back-foot driven. Ran +27/+12 with reference stance width (narrow). I haven't ridden any other Moss boards (or seen one in the wild) so I don't know how different they are than their standard Snowsurf Camber, but I imagine its a huge difference. Really fun to try something so unique, but need to get it out on some firmer days to see if that super weird profile can hold a good edge if you stay heaving on the back foot.

One interesting effect of this camber only under the back foot is that you can wheelie on it and steer the board no issue lol

153 souly grail will be mine
Will update as I get to ride it more, but unless we get really lucky, I won't get to test it in anything but spring slush.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Was able to try out the Moss Jellyfish in spring slush conditions for 90 minutes today. It's true what they say, these Step Back Rocker profile Moss boards (Moss Snowstick — Snowstick) are totally different and back-foot driven. Ran +27/+12 with reference stance width (narrow). I haven't ridden any other Moss boards (or seen one in the wild) so I don't know how different they are than their standard Snowsurf Camber, but I imagine its a huge difference. Really fun to try something different, but need to get it out on some firmer days to see if that super weird profile can hold a good edge if you stay heaving on the back foot.

Will update as I get to ride it more, but unless we get really lucky, I won't get to test it in anything but spring slush.
Yeah I’d say this season is a wrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wrap for pow days....But you never know sometimes we get some April surprises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh ya gotcha. I'll cross my fingers, we need the snow. If Snowbird stays open through May could get luck there too, but even if I could make it down for the storm, I definitely wouldn't ride a pristine board!

81 - 100 of 122 Posts