Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Wrap for pow days....But you never know sometimes we get some April surprises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surprise!!!!! It just snowed 75cm overnight at whistler.
I have the first 3 on your list, they are definitely worth riding! Very similar but all have their subtle differences to change the ride just a little bit, hope you can find them!
Heres a few that I wanna try, hopefully can pick up 1-2 second hand at the end of the season-
Never Summer Hammer
Gnu Gremlin
Gnu Fun Guy
K2 Excavator
Salomon Dance Haul(got a feeling this is the one im gonna end up grabbing)
I have a mint Fun Guy for you if you want.
Only ridden it once for half a day.

TT

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
That's what I told myself when I ate shit in slush at loon today and got completely soaked.
Ate shit quite a few times yesterday also hit some rocks lurking underneath the powder. Glad I brought the board I’m most comfortable damaging...the endeavor archetype.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Ate shit quite a few times yesterday also hit some rocks lurking underneath the powder. Glad I brought the board I’m most comfortable damaging...the endeavor archetype.

I may have tried to ride over a dirt path yesterday and totally eaten kaka. Thank you niche for making your bases sturdy AF. Was shocked I didn't have a core shot.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My list:
Amplid Singular 154 (22/23 release board)
GNU Banked Country 155
GNU Gremlin 152
Korua Noserider
Snoplanks Asym Fish 156/160
Telos Ranquet 156

This season I bought and tried out:
Weston Range 155
K2 Niseko Pleasures 151
Lib Tech Orca 150
Picked up a lightly used Telos Backslash 148 for $250 off msrp. This may be my last volume shift I purchase if it doesn't live up to the hype (here's looking at you @BurtonAvenger :). Most of the volume shifts I have ridden (warpig, orca, party platter, yes 420, nisekoi pleasures, etc.) were fine at certain things, but were totally quiver boards. That may just be the reality, and that's fine, but my focus is resort terrain as I have a split for the BC and they almost all handle cruddy rutted out stuff badly and never felt confident at any of type of speed (in comparison to 154 to 160+ boards) for me. Sure, you could do it, but you'd be much better served in something with more of an effective edge / length.

I'm likely not buying anything else this season except maybe an Amplid Singular 154 because I'm just super curious.

Pray for snow.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Sure, you could do it, but you'd be much better served in something with more of an effective edge / length.
A wise man once said ‚You can cheat your mother but you cannot cheat the effective edge’.

To me shorts fats with a tight sidecut are great to actually start carving but you find their limit there quickly. I did an experiment with Yes Optimistic I used to own (called a stiff and advanced board) on two friends who were barely low-intermediate skidding their turns badly. They loved it and almost started to really carve cos the board pulls you in the turn in an auto-pilot mode with a minimal board tilt.

The whole ‚size up the board for the stability and grip’ is some good advice for a reason.

·
Registered
259 Posts
A wise man once said ‚You can cheat your mother but you cannot cheat the effective edge’.

To me shorts fats with a tight sidecut are great to actually start carving but you find their limit there quickly. I did an experiment with Yes Optimistic I used to own (called a stiff and advanced board) on two friends who were barely low-intermediate skidding their turns badly. They loved it and almost started to really carve cos the board pulls you in the turn in an auto-pilot mode with a minimal board tilt.

The whole ‚size up the board for the stability and grip’ is some good advice for a reason.
Agreed. When someone tells me that their orca/insert whatever volume shift here is their do everything one quiver board I always wonder how strong of a rider they actually are...

·
Registered
12,641 Posts
Volume shift has its place and there's ones that ride better than others but you also have to be a competent rider that understands how to ride a variety of terrain, conditions, camber profiles, and sidecuts to utilize it fully. I had a guy telling me that until he got his Orca he couldn't carve, watched him ride, and he still couldn't carve.

Riding CO they are more versatile for the type of terrain with it being lower angle, light pow, and tight trees. But if I was back in the PNW riding Stevens or Baker I'd want something more damp and longer. Going back east I'd probably just ride freestyle twins or directional twins for everything as there's very few good pow days, the trees are super rooty, and the 750 vertical isn't anything special.

I have a clapped out Lumberjack, Cool Bean, and Backslash. Out of those three they all have their place. Lumberjack is the most all mountain versatile but lacks power in a carve. Cool Bean is a blast for pushing through chop and chunder and holds a carve well enough. Backslash is the best carver of the three but you change the dynamic of how you carve with more over exaggerated back foot drive. As I said volume shift has its place but I don't think it's the end all be all. A wider micro volume shift something you only size down 2 to 4cm's is far more versatile in my opinion for anyone over a size 9 boot.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Volume shift has its place and there's ones that ride better than others but you also have to be a competent rider that understands how to ride a variety of terrain, conditions, camber profiles, and sidecuts to utilize it fully. I had a guy telling me that until he got his Orca he couldn't carve, watched him ride, and he still couldn't carve.

Riding CO they are more versatile for the type of terrain with it being lower angle, light pow, and tight trees. But if I was back in the PNW riding Stevens or Baker I'd want something more damp and longer. Going back east I'd probably just ride freestyle twins or directional twins for everything as there's very few good pow days, the trees are super rooty, and the 750 vertical isn't anything special.

I have a clapped out Lumberjack, Cool Bean, and Backslash. Out of those three they all have their place. Lumberjack is the most all mountain versatile but lacks power in a carve. Cool Bean is a blast for pushing through chop and chunder and holds a carve well enough. Backslash is the best carver of the three but you change the dynamic of how you carve with more over exaggerated back foot drive. As I said volume shift has its place but I don't think it's the end all be all. A wider micro volume shift something you only size down 2 to 4cm's is far more versatile in my opinion for anyone over a size 9 boot.
Ha! I've seen/heard the same thing from people about their orcas. Totally agree with everything you wrote and looking forward to trying out the backslash this season. I've been watching your reviews on them for the last 3 or 4 seasons and always wanted to try one.

I haven't tried a super mild volume shift. You're right, that may be the way to go.

Thanks for all you do btw, still think your content is the best out there.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ha! I've seen/heard the same thing from people about their orcas. Totally agree with everything you wrote and looking forward to trying out the backslash this season. I've been watching your reviews on them for the last 3 or 4 seasons and always wanted to try one.

I haven't tried a super mild volume shift. You're right, that may be the way to go.

Thanks for all you do btw, still think your content is the best out there.
Picked up a lightly used Telos Backslash 148 for $250 off msrp. This may be my last volume shift I purchase if it doesn't live up to the hype (here's looking at you @BurtonAvenger :). Most of the volume shifts I have ridden (warpig, orca, party platter, yes 420, nisekoi pleasures, etc.) were fine at certain things, but were totally quiver boards. That may just be the reality, and that's fine, but my focus is resort terrain as I have a split for the BC and they almost all handle cruddy rutted out stuff badly and never felt confident at any of type of speed (in comparison to 154 to 160+ boards) for me. Sure, you could do it, but you'd be much better served in something with more of an effective edge / length.

I'm likely not buying anything else this season except maybe an Amplid Singular 154 because I'm just super curious.

Pray for snow.
I really enjoyed volume shift last season but that had a lot to do with what I like to ride which is generally tight Colorado trees and back bowls that get rutted out fast due to few entry points. Personal favorite was a 157 optimistic but I think that has alot to do with the ratio of EE to total length and how stiff it was. When I got on a volume shift with less EE like the party platter (108 vs 120) I enjoyed it but found it to not have the grip I needed for the steeps

giving this muppet a go this season stoked to see what a cambered 154 with a 112ee will ride like, was going to go backslash but got a sweet demo deal

101 - 120 of 122 Posts