Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a Never Summer Westbound and am trying to decide which boot to pair it up with. I am using Flux XF bindings. I want a boot that matches the stiffness of the board and bindings. I am currently looking at the Salomon Malamute and the Synapse. Do you think the Malamute is too stiff?

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Well you did this backwards. Boots first. And go try boots on. Anyone that tells you anything different is wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am fully aware that I need to try on boots first and get ones that fit my feet. That's why I am buying Salomons and not Burtons, which don't fit me. The question is not about fit. I know how they fit me. The Malamute is stiffer than the Synapse. My question is; is it too stiff for the board? The Westbound is a mid-stiff board. Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I think this is a legit question. 20 years ago when I was younger, I bought a soft pair of freestyle Vans that didn't drive my stiff freeride board very well. I have heard that a boot that is too stiff can cause a jerky turn.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Synapse and Malamute share a "platform", but the Malamute is stiffer in the upper part. I think it's too much, and while it's ok when it breaks in, I got some pressure on my instep. I'm not happy with the sole and width either, so I have the HiFi.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Stiffness is personal preference. I have owned the latest aluminium Ride Timeless, a Stranda Shorty, and tested a multitude of stiff freeride boards over the last few years all wearing either DC Lynx, DC Tucknees, or Rome Libertines. All soft boots. I used to know a rail gypsy that wouldn't ride anything softer than the Synapse. My protégé rides the Simple Pleasures and the softest boots he could find in his size (tiny feet). So find what fits, find what feels good, and go ride. I know it's not help, but there just isn't a thing as a boot that is too stiff or too soft for a given board, only too soft or too stiff for a rider, and we can't tell you that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I'll try them both on, but the Synapse sounds better for me. Actually, I may try the 32, because the Salomons are speed lace and I prefer traditional lace.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,443 Posts
The opposite extremes don't go too well, like a soft mock around board doesn't ride very nice with a very stiff boot with a rigid sole as you loose the ability to ride with tiny ankle and toe movement, whereas a stiff freeride board is more tiring on ones forefeet to ride with a soft boot as one lacks the leverage a stiffer boot would offer. In-between, everything works.

I ride my mid flex NS Lady West with a stiff 32 TM2-XLT as I boot pack a lot with it, thus I like the stiff sole. But the board does ride well with my softer Ride Cadence, too, on resort days. The Cadence doesn't match the stiff Flagship, however, nor does the XLT match the soft Volkl Savvy well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You’re right Neni. I am going to order the TM2-XLT in a couple of different sizes and see if they fit. I like the way Salomons fit, but not sure about the speed lacing.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
You’re right Neni. I am going to order the TM2-XLT in a couple of different sizes and see if they fit. I like the way Salomons fit, but not sure about the speed lacing.
The speed lacing isn't a deal breaker. You get used to it and it is pretty nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll probably order the Salomons as well and try the speed lacing. I live in rural Montana, 200 miles from the nearest board shop. So I have to order different boots, keep the ones that fit and send the rest back.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'll probably order the Salomons as well and try the speed lacing. I live in rural Montana, 200 miles from the nearest board shop. So I have to order different boots, keep the ones that fit and send the rest back.
Where do you ride in Montana? I'm in Helena. I've got Malamutes and Synapse. I prefer the Malamutes, but unfortunately they don't make those in wide, which I need. All personal preference though, I've ridden stiff and soft boards with both.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do all of my riding at Showdown now, because I live in Malta and that's the closest place. When I was younger living in Missoula, I rode all over western Montana. I think I am going to try the 32, Malamute and Synapse, because I like Salomon. Who knows, I may like the speed lacing. My board is mid-stiff (7/10) so the Malamutes shouldn't be too stiff.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I do all of my riding at Showdown now, because I live in Malta and that's the closest place. When I was younger living in Missoula, I rode all over western Montana. I think I am going to try the 32, Malamute and Synapse, because I like Salomon. Who knows, I may like the speed lacing. My board is mid-stiff (7/10) so the Malamutes shouldn't be too stiff.
Nice, I got a pass at Showdown this year in addition to my Great Divide one I always get because it was way cheaper there for my kids, and one of my buddy's is the lift ops manager there, so will be doing a lot of parking lot camping over the winter there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts