Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of doing a little road trip with a couple of my buddies and wondering what are the best mountains to hit on the east coast. I'm based in Ontario so I don't want to go too far.

Right now I'm thinking Tremblant for a couple days, then drive to Vermont and hit up Jay Peak.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Not sure what you're specifically looking for, but I'd recommend hitting the Eastern Townships in Quebec (Sutton, Bromont, etc.) and then head to Jay Peak. Sutton on a powder day is unreal.

Start practicing your French

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you're specifically looking for, but I'd recommend hitting the Eastern Townships in Quebec (Sutton, Bromont, etc.) and then head to Jay Peak. Sutton on a powder day is unreal.

Start practicing your French
I was just looking for suggestions of good mountains within driving distance of Ontario. Sutton sounds fun, how does it compare to tremblant?

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,126 Posts
I was just looking for suggestions of good mountains within driving distance of Ontario. Sutton sounds fun, how does it compare to tremblant?
You'll have to define "within driving distance of Ontario".
Windsor?
Ottawa?
Somewhere in between?
And how long/far are you willing to drive?

Tremblant and Jay Peak I believe are the closest to Ontario on the east side.
Le Massif and Mont Ste. Anne are terrific if you're willing to drive to Quebec City.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll have to define "within driving distance of Ontario".
Windsor?
Ottawa?
Somewhere in between?
And how long/far are you willing to drive?

Tremblant and Jay Peak I believe are the closest to Ontario on the east side.
Le Massif and Mont Ste. Anne are terrific if you're willing to drive to Quebec City.
From Mid-Southwestern Ontario. Ideally I want the drive to take under 12 hours. So far planning to hit up Tremblant or Sutton for a couple days, then drive to Jay Peak which is pretty close from there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I haven't been to Tremblant since I was a kid, so there's probably people who can speak to it better than I can

But Tremblant is basically the Whistler of Eastern Canada. Lots of vertical, good grooming/ snow-making, lots of hotels, spas, bars / restaurants, - aka lots to see and do. This also means that it's expensive and probably crowded (depending on the weather and time of year). Depending on where you're coming from, Tremblant is pretty out of the way if you're heading to JP.

Sutton on the other hand, is a much smaller / scaled back type resort. Less grooming / snow-making, so if it's a low snow year, or it hasn't snowed in a while, it could be icy moguls everywhere. BUT if you hit it on a good snow year or a storm cycle, it's all about riding powder in the trees, with almost 0 lift lines and a super laid back vibe / atmosphere. Pretty much the closest thing to riding out West / interior BC, East of the Rockies.

So it depends on what you're looking for, and of course the timing / snow. Personally Sutton > Tremblant any day, but that's me.

Either way, you'll be in for a great trip!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They get the most snow in the NE. Poor lift infrastructure imo. Summit access is very prone to wind delays/closures.

Great glades, out of bounds terrain.
not looking to hit up back country because I'm not knowledgable enough yet. How is the in-bounds?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're not doing the glades at Jay you're missing a huge part of the draw. They're still in-bounds, and the trees are further apart than at most other places making going through them fairly easy.
Ya of course, I just don't want to go anywhere off map//somewhere that you need back country knowledge

1 - 13 of 13 Posts