Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey crew,

Need a car for 4 people plus gear. Ideally be as safe as possible so 4wd and snow tires (I think most in hakkadio have snow tires in winter as standard).

Pick up New Chitose Airport 24/12 and return Sapporo city 8/1.

Any recommendations on good sites to use? So far looks like Tocoo and Rentalcars.com seem to be the best.

Thanks!

·
Registered
893 Posts
It's Hokkaido.

Where are you going. You can get public transport almost everywhere. Hokkaido has snow to the Ocean so driving can be pretty slow and treacherous in winter conditions especially when you don't have a frigging clue where you are going. Hokkaido is pretty rural outside the main Cities as well. Bus transfers from New Chitose to Furano/Niseko/Rusutsu are only about $Au40 ($US28) each way. They handle all your gear under the Coach/bus as well with no problems. You will have no prob's hiring gear at Niseko, heaps of rental stores ie Rhythm is one of the biggest. Furano has a few smaller ones at Mountain base.

But..., I'd highly advise taking all your own gear to Japan in a wheelie gig type of bag. So if you're only taking one board go freeride. 2 x boards Powder and Freeride, 3x Boards Powder, Freeride and all mountain. You are going to one of the best places for powder in the World.

Daylight is short from about 7am to 4pm. Furano resort is heaps closer to the township so getting groceries easy. Niseko you get a bus to Kutchan to get groceries or grab stuff at 7/11 or Lawsons etc on the Mountain. Takeaway/eateries are growing pretty strongly in Niseko as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are only driving the 2 hour journey from Chitose Airport to Niseko via kutchan for some groceries. Then just the 2 hour drive back to drop off in Sapporo at the end. The rest is 10-20 minute trips across the mountains in the area.

We are staying near Moiwa/Annapuri in houses so not super easy to get shuttles each day, plus we hate sitting on the buses each day and the car is the ultimate freedom.

Definitely wheelie bag, we use the Dakine high roller for a couple of setups to fit. I have the Rome National so all mountain / freeride to a degree. Third Japan trip but first time to Hokkaido. Will definitely be using full traction control and driving slowly and safely, eyes peeled for black ice on the roads in town! After drifting up the hill to Cortina in a taxi last trip I see there is plenty of danger haha

The car we are getting will be the Subaru XV that has all wheel and 4 wheel drive with roof racks and GPS so weather permitting it will hopefully be a smooth run!

It's Hokkaido.

Where are you going. You can get public transport almost everywhere. Hokkaido has snow to the Ocean so driving can be pretty slow and treacherous in winter conditions especially when you don't have a frigging clue where you are going. Hokkaido is pretty rural outside the main Cities as well. Bus transfers from New Chitose to Furano/Niseko/Rusutsu are only about $Au40 ($US28) each way. They handle all your gear under the Coach/bus as well with no problems. You will have no prob's hiring gear at Niseko, heaps of rental stores ie Rhythm is one of the biggest. Furano has a few smaller ones at Mountain base.

But..., I'd highly advise taking all your own gear to Japan in a wheelie gig type of bag. So if you're only taking one board go freeride. 2 x boards Powder and Freeride, 3x Boards Powder, Freeride and all mountain. You are going to one of the best places for powder in the World.

Daylight is short from about 7am to 4pm. Furano resort is heaps closer to the township so getting groceries easy. Niseko you get a bus to Kutchan to get groceries or grab stuff at 7/11 or Lawsons etc on the Mountain. Takeaway/eateries are growing pretty strongly in Niseko as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We are only driving the 2 hour journey from Chitose Airport to Niseko via kutchan for some groceries. Then just the 2 hour drive back to drop off in Sapporo at the end. The rest is 10-20 minute trips across the mountains in the area.

We are staying near Moiwa/Annapuri in houses so not super easy to get shuttles each day, plus we hate sitting on the buses each day and the car is the ultimate freedom.

Definitely wheelie bag, we use the Dakine high roller for a couple of setups to fit. I have the Rome National so all mountain / freeride to a degree. Third Japan trip but first time to Hokkaido. Will definitely be using full traction control and driving slowly and safely, eyes peeled for black ice on the roads in town! After drifting up the hill to Cortina in a taxi last trip I see there is plenty of danger haha

The car we are getting will be the Subaru XV that has all wheel and 4 wheel drive with roof racks and GPS so weather permitting it will hopefully be a smooth run!
Driving shouldn't be a problem. In winter time, all rentals come with snow tires. The locals drive kei-trucks and the posties still deliver their mail on piece of sh*t mopeds with chains on em. The roads people are very good at getting out and keeping the main roads open, but of course it's icy n shit so caution is the name of the game. AFAIK all the big rental companies at Chitose will give you similar deals. Hokkaido has less danger of black ice (but still some of course :D ) cos it snows so often.....snow on the roads makes driving fine, it's any long gaps between falls when the snow on the roads gets all shiny and polished that can be a problem......I was in a pretty bad spin out on the flat road in front of Rusutsu a few years back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts