Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the best men's board/bindings combo for flatland tricks PLUS serious carve? (my gal and I share this forum account)

A good example of the kind of riding I want to work on this season is Ryan Knapton's: How to Butter: #13 Frontside Tail-Roll 360's - YouTube . I think he's riding a Custom X, but for me personally I would like avoid any Burton since their stuff isn't that cross-compatible.

I weigh 182 pounds (leg mass/strength got freakish this year from squats) and wear size 10.5 K2 Maysis boots. I'd prefer a twin board with new-school camber, sintered base, durable but as light as possible. Bindings should be as light as possible too with footbed canting, very adjustable with rotatable highbacks. I don't care about jibbing, and don't really care about huge air. I want to freeride carve and be able to switch it up with all kinds of flatland tricks.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean by new school-camber?
By that I mean non-traditional camber...like hybrid rocker-camber or rocker, for example. I used to have a tradition camber board eons ago that was awesome for carving, but now I like the surfy and catch-free ride of the newer camber profiles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out some TBT Bataleon boards. See if that is what your looking for.
Tried TBT last year for an evening...it was kinda cool but I have a fear of "once you go TBT, you'll never [be able to] come back." ;) Seems like if I got used to TBT, my legs' muscle memory would get messed up and I wouldn't have good edge control of non-TBT boards ever again.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I haven't had the chance to ride one yet but I've been researching the crap out of them. I plan to meet someone with one and do a swap for a few runs. Cause who doesn't wanna ride my Proto HD? lol <- that's gonna piss some members off. lol

Have you rode any rocker camber rocker boards?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Have you rode any rocker camber rocker boards?
Yup. I've tried Never Summer SL and Never Summer F1 Premier. Very hot boards with excellent control at high speed and amazingly confident grip. However, both of those boards were a bit set-back, and I want to ride a true twin for switch/butter. Truth be told, most of my riding will be on East Coast, so I don't really need set-back for floating my nose over powder that won't be there.

So Proto HD, eh?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Check out a Lib tech banana magic try a 157, very light board, carves well due to the low radius sidecut+magnetraction and torsionally stiff. is still kinda playful with the crc camber combo. Burton cartel bindings go well with this board.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Have you rode any rocker camber rocker boards?
Yup. I've tried Never Summer SL and Never Summer F1 Premier. Very hot boards with excellent control at high speed and amazingly confident grip.
Not sure if this was the point... but NS boards are CRC not RCR.

I also second the Banana Magic. My buddy had one and used it for the exact type of riding the OP is talking about. Hard carves on east coast hardpack and flatland tricks. No real park because it is more stiff than a park only board but has some rocker to keep it fun.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Not sure if this was the point... but NS boards are CRC not RCR.

I also second the Banana Magic. My buddy had one and used it for the exact type of riding the OP is talking about. Hard carves on east coast hardpack and flatland tricks. No real park because it is more stiff than a park only board but has some rocker to keep it fun.
Yes I meant RCR not the NS profile. The rocker tips will be great for flatland tricks and the camber will liven the board back up.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
So what is the best men's board/bindings combo for flatland tricks PLUS serious carve? (my gal and I share this forum account)

A good example of the kind of riding I want to work on this season is Ryan Knapton's: How to Butter: #13 Frontside Tail-Roll 360's - YouTube . I think he's riding a Custom X, but for me personally I would like avoid any Burton since their stuff isn't that cross-compatible.

I weigh 182 pounds (leg mass/strength got freakish this year from squats) and wear size 10.5 K2 Maysis boots. I'd prefer a twin board with new-school camber, sintered base, durable but as light as possible. Bindings should be as light as possible too with footbed canting, very adjustable with rotatable highbacks. I don't care about jibbing, and don't really care about huge air. I want to freeride carve and be able to switch it up with all kinds of flatland tricks.

Thanks for the suggestions!
He's riding a stiffer board. Are you planning on high speed butters? Just get a stiffer board good for carving and then learn the butters on it like him :laugh:

He's got some good tutoring videos too.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Team Series

Thrash rocker, New base profile for this season that is great for what you describe. It is super playful and has amazing edge hold.

Another is their dirt rocker. MIP

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, about your fears related to going back to flat bases from TBT: I have been snowboarding for two seasons now with Bataleon's TBT boards. For one weekend trip I was not able to take my tbt board with me, but had to survive with a regular camber Ride Fleetwood. I was also a bit afraid of the edges snapping all the time and me not able to smoothly go from edge to edge... But yeah, of course it was different but after two or three runs, I was able to do most of the stuff I am confident performing with the tbt's. Bigger difference was the stiffness, which most likely caused the minor problems I had.

For carving I would suggest some of the med-stiff Bataleons, like Whatever, Goliath or Evil twin. I have Goliath, which is a joy to ride if you have steep and wide runs... But since I get to ride such hills once or twice a season, I bought Fun.Kink. It's much softer and more fun in small hills, but tends to somehow "wash away" from carves. Nothing related to my skills, the reason is solely the board, naturally... :D

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I think he's riding a Custom X, but for me personally I would like avoid any Burton since their stuff isn't that cross-compatible.
I just gotta clear something up here: ANY bindings can be used on Burton channel boards. You just need the right discs. The only thing that's not cross-compatible is using EST bindings on non-channel boards.

If you want to buy all Burton stuff, but want to be able to mount your bindings to other boards, match up a channel board with non-EST bindings (anything from the re:flex or disc lines from Burton)...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts