Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i posted this earlier but it was in the wrong section. I was wondering if you guys have any opinions on which mountain is the best to go to in eastern canada. I live in NY and have been going to vermont a lot and want a change. Will canada be any different? I was looking at Mont Tremblant because its rated the number 1 resort in the east. But in this forum i see a lot about blue mountain. Where should i go? Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Blue Mountain is probably the best spot in Ontario. Pretty sure it's the largest. However, if you're looking at east coast Canada as a whole, Mt Tremblant is the spot to go. Way more terrain to play with.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was looking at Mont Tremblant because its rated the number 1 resort in the east. But in this forum i see a lot about blue mountain. Where should i go? Thanks
Blue Mountain does't have any vert close to Vermont or Quebec. In, Quebec, Mt. St. Anne, Tremblant and Le Massif all have over 2k ft vert.

In Ontario, Blue Mountain has 740ish ft vert. Horseshoe Valley has over 400 or so ft and Mt. St. Loius Moonstone has maybe 500 ft?

The one's in Ontario have good terrain parks though if that's what you are after.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Don't come to ontario from NY for the riding, waste of your time. Def go to Quebec.

Tremblant or le massif or mt st Anne.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. When is the best time to go to tremblant? I was thinking early january or late december

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. When is the best time to go to tremblant? I was thinking early january or late december
Avoid Xmas, lineups are crazy then. Just before Xmas can be good.

Early jan also good, it slows down a little after New Years.

I had done great spring conditions there late march last year.

·
Registered
762 Posts
As far as vert in Ontario, Calabogie Peaks is the highest. That right there says all you need to know. As was said, Quebec is a better bet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As far as vert in Ontario, Calabogie Peaks is the highest. That right there says all you need to know. As was said, Quebec is a better bet.
Yes Calabogie Peaks is the highest. I was there for the first time on boxing day and it was amazing. Best hill I've ever been on, although I've never been riding outside of Ontario.

·
Registered
547 Posts
not sure what you're looking for, but the eastern townships in Quebec is worth considering

Orford, Sutton, Owl's Head & Bromont are all within driving distance of each other so you could hit multiple mountains

generally cheaper and more laid back then Tremblant

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Gotta admit, I've never actually ridden Sutton, but we stopped by last year for a day off while at Jay Peak. It's pretty close. I was impressed...it looked like a lot of fun, with lots of blacks, double blacks and glades, and an impressive trail layout (check out the trail map). I'm looking forward to checking it out this year. Just mid-sized, 1,500 ft of vert, but really quiet and seemed to have that cool French vibe. Of course, I could be wrong...I never hear anyone talk about riding there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was at Mount Tremblant this summer (I know, but family vacation..) and it did look like it would be awesome, I'd like to go back sometime this winter (when theres actually snow on the ground :p)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would guess all the talk of Blue Mountain is because it is "local" to many Ontarians, you'd probably need to look at some French-speaking forums to find people who frequent the Quebec resorts. That said, Tremblant is more of a tourist destination than just a ski/snowboard spot. I visited it once and it was certainly nice to be able to have a fancy dinner in the village after a day on the slopes, but if I lived in the area, I'd go for a more low key resort, just to keep costs under control :)

The actual slopes were definitely more challenging compared to Blue Mountain - steeper, longer. Having survived those iced-up slopes, I thought I was invincible when I came back to Ontario ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
If your just looking for a daily place to hit up thats not to far away, go check out Mountain Creek. Make sure you bring a lock though :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
save a couple hundred bucks extra and fly west somewhere.
This doesn't make sense. Flights from YYZ to out west are $1.5- 2k round trip for the flight alone! How would that be saving a couple hundred? Driving to Quebec would only cost around $500, and that's if you take a gas guzzler... Food is cheap there, and you can stay at a hotel not on the resort for decent prices, heck even on the resort if you to to the less known ones...

·
Registered
130 Posts
??

YYZ to Calgary $550 round trip ...regular price
Depends on timing too. Flights in December can really get out of control and well in excess of $1K roundtrip.

Another thing is if you travel with a group (2-3-4 people), the airfare will increase linearly, but the cost of a car trip is the same for a small group as for a single person.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Depends on timing too. Flights in December can really get out of control and well in excess of $1K roundtrip.

Another thing is if you travel with a group (2-3-4 people), the airfare will increase linearly, but the cost of a car trip is the same for a small group as for a single person.
This. 4 of us went to Massiff last year for $450 each including passes, hotel, rental, gas and 5 course meals. Good luck finding a flight for that cheap (JUST flight mind you) right now or Christmas break time...

·
Registered
94 Posts
He lives in the US guys, not Toronto. Flight prices to other US cities are cheaper than what we have here. I know we get bent over in Canada for flights, but not as bad down there.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts