Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I am looking for a new board strictly for park. Something a little more soft and playful than my T.Rice. I most hit kickers and will do rails if they are there but if I had to choose I will always go with the jumps. So with that said I am looking for a board that has a medium flex to it, in between a 3-5 on a scale of 1-10 and I am looking for either cambered or hybrid, no rocker also must be true twin and be a wide as I have 11 sized feet. I have a few that I am looking at and would like experienced opinions about them.

156w Lobster Parkboard- Love the Halldor brothers so naturally Lobster pops up. The parkboard looks awesome and I really want to try out the Triple Base Tech. If I like it I'd be down to stick with the board, if not then oh well haha. Only thing I am worried about is the board being a bit soft but if so then the freestyle is more stiff. Anyone like this board? Same thing as the Bataleon Arobic.

157w Ride Buckup- This board looks pretty cool and is a a lot of what I want in a board. I just havent heard much reviews of it yet so anyone ridden this? Also looks like it has a lot of pop and thats what I am looking for.

156w Ride DH- Very similar to the Buckup. Same feel but is just cambered instead of the hybrid camber.

Any DC boards worth looking at? Love DC as a brand and Horgmo is awesome. The Mega looks sick it's just lame they dont offer it or really many of their boards as a wide. But if they did I would probably get a Mega.

So as of right now that is what I have been looking at strictly for park and playful days and that is the order of interest The Lobster first and the Ride right after that. Any opinions on these two? Any other board out there worth mentioning? Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well I am not an expert snowboarder or park rider, but I can give my two cents I guess. Definitely let someone else give their opinion as well though.

I ride the DH2 in 155, and previously I rode an k2 anagram in wide. The DH2 is wide enough for me to not have to get a wide version, and I also have a size 11 boot. The DH2 is more of a 6 or 7 on the stiffness, but you being jump motivated, it has ridiculous amounts of pop (and its twin). I can hop OB ropes without thinking and over ground snow blowers if there is a small bump leading up to it. However as I move more into rails and buters I am thinking about trying to find something a little softer So for the DH2 you get 3/4 off your wish list.

A board I am looking at for flex and pop is either the Solomon villain or the new Proto HD. Maybe give those two a look? I hear great things about the villain and the new proto is supposedly amazing. Both of these have wide variants as well: the villain has a 156w I believe, and the Proto HDX is a wide.

My first ever board recommendation so if that's nothing close to what your looking for, my apologies.

Also, I thought this went without saying, but don't buy things just because of the pros that endorse it.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered the Buck Up 154W as my park board, i'm 6'2; 135lbs and I shoes 11.5, so I'd say go with the 154w if you want something more soft for rails otherwise, go with the 157w if you're looking more for jumps.

Here's some reviews I found:
Flex Test: Ride Buckup Flex Test - Board Insiders - Stiffness of the Ride Buckup snowboard? - YouTube
Overall: Ride Buck Up Review Preview Tyler - Board Insiders - YouTube
awesome man thanks for the reply i will look into it. I am trying to reduce as much heal and toe drag as possible so the wider the better. I would like at least 26 cm waist width. Again thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I am not an expert snowboarder or park rider, but I can give my two cents I guess. Definitely let someone else give their opinion as well though.

I ride the DH2 in 155, and previously I rode an k2 anagram in wide. The DH2 is wide enough for me to not have to get a wide version, and I also have a size 11 boot. The DH2 is more of a 6 or 7 on the stiffness, but you being jump motivated, it has ridiculous amounts of pop (and its twin). I can hop OB ropes without thinking and over ground snow blowers if there is a small bump leading up to it. However as I move more into rails and buters I am thinking about trying to find something a little softer So for the DH2 you get 3/4 off your wish list.

A board I am looking at for flex and pop is either the Solomon villain or the new Proto HD. Maybe give those two a look? I hear great things about the villain and the new proto is supposedly amazing. Both of these have wide variants as well: the villain has a 156w I believe, and the Proto HDX is a wide.

My first ever board recommendation so if that's nothing close to what your looking for, my apologies.

Also, I thought this went without saying, but don't buy things just because of the pros that endorse it.
no thats perfect, thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
None of those will realistically feel softer than a Rice. Not camber or hybrid but flat, the Nitro Rook is a prime candidate. Midwide will fit your 11's just fine and its a middle of the road park flex if not a little slanted towards jumps. Without going and searching waists width that's what comes to mind. I wouldn't go bigger than a 55. Bigger than that at your weight will feel like a lot of board in the air.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
None of those will realistically feel softer than a Rice. Not camber or hybrid but flat, the Nitro Rook is a prime candidate. Midwide will fit your 11's just fine and its a middle of the road park flex if not a little slanted towards jumps. Without going and searching waists width that's what comes to mind. I wouldn't go bigger than a 55. Bigger than that at your weight will feel like a lot of board in the air.
Alright thanks. My Rice is the Horsepower version and its definitely a semi stiff board. Not much play in it, great charger board. and great for jumps, cliffs, powders, but I just want a soft fun board that i can butter around for those groomer park days.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I just remember that i got size 10.5 boots for a slightly smaller footprint. I've been reading that i may not need a wide board so now I am interested in the DC Mega. Anyone have any experience on this board? Or with DC in general?

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
So I just remember that i got size 10.5 boots for a slightly smaller footprint. I've been reading that i may not need a wide board so now I am interested in the DC Mega. Anyone have any experience on this board? Or with DC in general?
Personally I've never been wowed by a DC. They've be en bad boards by any means but they've all lacked in some way or a other.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks for the replies. Im thinking about just going with Lobster and see how i like it anyone have any experience on one?

·
Registered
451 Posts
i wear size 10, weigh 160ish, and ride a 151 lobster park board. with 10.5's you should be fine. don't need the wide. maybe go for the 154, mine is strictly for park stuff (although i take it everywhere), and i most likely ride smaller/more narrow mountains than you, so i like the shorter board

1 - 14 of 14 Posts