Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In Australia the Alpine area's are a long way from all the major Capital Cities which drive employment. They are generally near small townships that are driven totally by the Winter seasons tourism.

Looking at the US of A there seems to be a massive amount of locations available to live in/near for great snowboarding. So what would be the best place to live in the US of A for working with snowboarding in mind?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Lots of places in Utah and Colorado are pretty close to some awesome resorts. Angry lives in Breckridge, so that puts him about 45 minutes or less from 6 awesome ski areas or 3 if you no longer put Epic resorts in the awesome category (due to anal slow patrols) plus Ski Cooper, so 7 total. Even from Denver you're 1.5-3 hours from ~10 pretty good mountains. On a weekday you can get from Denver to Loveland to in about an hour if the traffic isn't bad.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I’ve enjoyed living in Utah. Plenty of fun mountains and easy access to an airport. Great mountain biking in the off-season. Downside is lack of diversity and bland food.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of places in Utah and Colorado are pretty close to some awesome resorts. Angry lives in Breckridge, so that puts him about 45 minutes or less from 6 awesome ski areas or 3 if you no longer put Epic resorts in the awesome category (due to anal slow patrols) plus Ski Cooper, so 7 total. Even from Denver you're 1.5-3 hours from ~10 pretty good mountains. On a weekday you can get from Denver to Loveland to in about an hour if the traffic isn't bad.
Is Denver a big City? Seems it has around 800k.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Really...Canada, specifically BC powder highway. As for the mountain...you only need 1 mountain...a good one. The important ? is what is "working with snowboarding in mind" mean? You can scrub toliets at the lodge, do podcasts in your car (or from the shitter) while taking a break from riding or handling a business call while riding the lift...or something else.

·
Registered
474 Posts
In Australia the Alpine area's are a long way from all the major Capital Cities which drive employment. They are generally near small townships that are driven totally by the Winter seasons tourism.

Looking at the US of A there seems to be a massive amount of locations available to live in/near for great snowboarding. So what would be the best place to live in the US of A for working with snowboarding in mind?
Craig, am I reading something between the lines here???? If you need somewhere to store your S3 whilst you're overseas, I'm happy to put my hand up, provided you don't get cranky if when you come back, it's stage 2.5 with a pop-and-bang exhaust "cracklemap" 😋

Wrathfuldeity's right - you only need one, in my view. Angry / anyone else, got any idea what Purgatory is like these days?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Craig, am I reading something between the lines here???? If you need somewhere to store your S3 whilst you're overseas, I'm happy to put my hand up, provided you don't get cranky if when you come back, it's stage 2.5 with a pop-and-bang exhaust "cracklemap" 😋

Wrathfuldeity's right - you only need one, in my view. Angry / anyone else, got any idea what Purgatory is like these days?
I sold it a year ago to a guy who came up from Tassie. I bought X3 3.0D, more practical for old geezers like me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I sold it a year ago to a guy who came up from Tassie. I bought X3 3.0D, more practical for old geezers like me.
You're allowed to call yourself old when we stop seeing you doing gear reviews / tuning and repairing gear with pride / cease making the noticeable efforts that you do, to put yourself on-snow as many days a year as possible (y)

·
638 Posts
I reckon my equivalent of being in the NT here would be living in Hawaii in the US of A - without the surf but with things that can kill you under every rock or waterway

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would love to live out west (or in Canada) close to a good mountain, unfortunately as a professional fire fighter, my job just doesn't exist in those locations, nothing but call/vol departments, or really low paying departments with junk contracts. Wyoming, Utah and Idaho unfortunately are right to work for less states. Washington, Alaska, and Montana would be awesome, but once again run into the problem of no work opportunity for me. Colorado has plenty of good full time departments, but the front range is a crowded mess, and anything too close to a mountain is unaffordable. So I'll probably be stuck on the ice coast until I retire.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Really depends on how big of a city you need. Major city options in the US are

Denver (my least suggested because of crowds and the horrific drive to the mountain. Sometimes it's not proximity but actual drive time that's most important. You could live in a city twice as far from the hill as Denver but have a shorter drive)
Salt Lake City
Seattle
Portland (my second least suggested because Hood is very mediocre compared to other major PNW resorts)
Reno if it's big enough for you and you dont mind living in the desert

1 - 15 of 15 Posts