Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this free RT from NYC to Seattle I have to use by the end of the calendar year. The awesome thing is I'm Chairman Preferred on US Airways so I can fly like half a dozen boards free (and ride up front) so blowing this ticket on an early season snowboard trip seems like a no-brainer. I'm thinking like the week of Dec 10th. The less than awesome thing is that I have to take the husband.

I kid. He's awesome. It will be awesome to go with him. But I need to steer him away from doing touristy bullshit like visit the space needle (he actually hates that stuff but he's not real creative when it comes to travel.) So I'm going to propose the straight up 5 day stint on the mountain. This is kind of ballsy for me because he doesn't ski or ride or anything. Nor is he interested in trying. Lets have a romantic mini-vacation where we spend 8 hours a day apart! I get one shot at this pitch.

So I need to come up with the most resorty resort in the PNW. Like with the outdoor hot tubs and dogsled rides and maybe a gondola joyride or marmot photo safari. I don't know really what people do at resorts. But if the day can end at a really nice restaurant, that will make my job easier.

At first I was thinking Bachelor because Bend is kind of a cute town right? Its a fairly easy 5 hr drive from Seattle so its totally doable. But I don't know what is around Baker or Snowqualmie or anything else in WA. Even if its not cool ski town, I can get away with cool ski self contained resort only I think with the right amenities.

Just want to be clear before everyone chimes in with omg Baker duh...terrain doesn't really matter here. If its not really costing me for the flight, I'd rather get on the hill and lap short groomers than ask Willis if he'd like to crash in an airstream and eat at the cafeteria for a week because that's an instant no and I will get stuck on that stupid pier or at a Seahawks game.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
So I have this free RT from NYC to Seattle I have to use by the end of the calendar year. The awesome thing is I'm Chairman Preferred on US Airways so I can fly like half a dozen boards free (and ride up front) so blowing this ticket on an early season snowboard trip seems like a no-brainer. I'm thinking like the week of Dec 10th. The less than awesome thing is that I have to take the husband.

I kid. He's awesome. It will be awesome to go with him. But I need to steer him away from doing touristy bullshit like visit the space needle (he actually hates that stuff but he's not real creative when it comes to travel.) So I'm going to propose the straight up 5 day stint on the mountain. This is kind of ballsy for me because he doesn't ski or ride or anything. Nor is he interested in trying. Lets have a romantic mini-vacation where we spend 8 hours a day apart! I get one shot at this pitch.
Oh and there are also dog sled rides, or snowmobile rides.
So I need to come up with the most resorty resort in the PNW. Like with the outdoor hot tubs and dogsled rides and maybe a gondola joyride or marmot photo safari. I don't know really what people do at resorts. But if the day can end at a really nice restaurant, that will make my job easier.

At first I was thinking Bachelor because Bend is kind of a cute town right? Its a fairly easy 5 hr drive from Seattle so its totally doable. But I don't know what is around Baker or Snowqualmie or anything else in WA. Even if its not cool ski town, I can get away with cool ski self contained resort only I think with the right amenities.

Just want to be clear before everyone chimes in with omg Baker duh...terrain doesn't really matter here. If its not really costing me for the flight, I'd rather get on the hill and lap short groomers than ask Willis if he'd like to crash in an airstream and eat at the cafeteria for a week because that's an instant no and I will get stuck on that stupid pier or at a Seahawks game.
I don't know much about resorts north of bend, but I do love mt bachelor. Feel free to inquire about anything. Lots of good food, beer and riding in a tight little area. If you want romantic you could snow shoe up to our various warming huts in the hills and drink hot toddies around a wood fire. Check out seventh mountain inn. You would need, 4x or awd to get here from Seattle.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
mt bachelor itself is pretty much non-resorty. they have a tubing hill and there are dog sledders training up there (not sure if you can walk up and pay for a ride). there is no lodging until you drive back down to Bend (20min.) once you get into bend there is a decent pub life; high desert museum south of town, ice skating in sunriver, typical ski town shit in both bend and SR. not really a resort on the mt at all tho, just lodges with food/gear.

Timberline has a sick hotel that you can ride down to/walk to lifts. the Shining was filmed there. hottubs and all that crap. problem is its timberline and it pretty much sucks. meadows is pretty damn good and about a 20min drive from tline lodge... good snow that early is a crap shoot in years of late. PDX is 1:30 away

i can't speak to washington.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Hood/Portland...Both could stay in Portland, he could smell the roses, do some herion, go to powells, eat at a food truck park and see the trailblazers and you could easily drive up to hood, rip all day and see what there's to do in Portland in the evenings.

Alpental/Seattle...but do the fish/meth combo

Glacier/Baker...ganga and corndogs/ramen combo and sit on a stump and look for yeti

Stevens????

Vancouver BC/the little in town hills...do sushi/dim sum combo

Whistler isn't that far from seattle

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
hey man, i know for a fact we've got some pretty sweet meth here too, as my neighbors are meth dealers....(i do not do meth but they seem to run a brisk business with plenty of return customers..)

... and i'm sure your heroin is the shit too...

but yea... food carts mmmmmm food carts....

no resort at crystal?

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
The Shining was filmed at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO.
ummmm nope. not the movie.

"The Stanley Hotel also hosted the horror novelist Stephen King, inspiring him to write The Shining. Parts of the television mini-series version of The Shining were filmed there, whereas Stanley Kubrick's cinematic adaptation The Shining was filmed at another resort hotel, the Timberline Lodge in Oregon (besides Elstree Studios in England)"

wiki

never even seen the tv mini-series... anyone got a torrent link?

but for sure when people think the shining they think the movie, which is tline lodge (at least the exterior shots)

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Call of the Wild (1935)...parts were filmed at Baker

ECC most of the resorts are merely ski areas with a day lodge and ski lifts...so you get to do what you do. If your hub likes to read, write, blog, hike, bike, drink coffee and microbrews, snow shoe, nature photography, hike around in the woods and the rain. Its spectacular scenery...especially when its not socked in...which is mostly all winter. Btw the marmots are hibernating in Dec.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
For resorty stuff in the PNW you have: Whistler (probably not helpful), Mt. Hood Meadows and Crystal in that order for things to do at/near the mountain. Very few of the Washington mountains have lodging, or much development on site beyond the lift and day lodge operations. They do all have nearby lodging and towns.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Okay romantic five day getaway in PNW...by the wrathfuldeity of love and martial bliss.

Day one, flying to Seattle, Rent-A-Car, leisure drive to Whistler (or go south to Portland/Hood...stop and check out Mt St Helens) while seeing roadside attractions, coastal overviews or even a ferry ride, having some good food and beers along the way...check in Whistler and have a bottle of champagne.
Day two, you ski Whistler, hub does the village and a romantic evening in tub.
Day three, repeat.
Day four, get up early drive to Baker, shred Baker, hit Bellingham for microbrews, fish and sleep in a cheezy motel.
Day five, leave the Ham early, do some touristy shit in Seattle and hit the redeye back to the East Coast.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
just to clarify: there is no lodging at Meadows - lodging on Hood is Timberline Lodge for the on-mt, look out your window & see lifts thing; Government Camp for the full mt Hood locals experience, Charlie's (pub) and the Ratskeller, condos @collins lake resort (in govy); and then further down the hill you've got Welches and Brightwood for vacation rentals, more resort rooms, some more food options. at that point you're a good 30 minutes from the hill. at Tline lodge you can step out the door and strap in and ride down or are a ~10 minute drive from Meadows, Government Camp is also a 10 minute drive from Meadows.

its worth mentioning that that early in the season there is a really really good chance that Bachelor will be riding better than Hood. that is still early in the season and Hood can be pretty mild until mid January. its always colder at Bach' so there is a good bet for more/better snow out there. no Portland tho. i guess you could hit the city for a day on the way down if you wanted. Bend is the shit tho.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Oh man, Timberline actually looks like a really cool lodge. They actually have decent deals too. Stay 1 night, get dinner free. That is $250 with a nice big room with a fireplace and dinner at the fancy restaurant. That really ain't bad.

Though the idea of staying in P-town and doing Mt. Hood is a good one too. I didn't think it was close enough to pull that off. Though coming from NYC, I generally dislike visiting cities. But Willis likes urban tourism, particularly "intimate" cities like Portland.

But the more I check out Bend, the more I'm kind of drawn to that. Even if Bachelor isn't resorty - that looks like a really cool town. The tourism website takes pride in being the self proclaimed beer and dog capitals of the US. Beer and dogs are two of my favorite things (though my dog won't be making the trip! She doesn't know that yet.)

Maybe I can sell it as like a combo trip. We'll have to do the first night in Seattle unless we can get the right flight (gaining that 3 hours is always nice.) But I presume there's a pacific coast highway in WA, we could road trip that into Portland, do a couple nights there and then head into Bend for like 3 nights. Its not too hard a drive from Bend back to Seattle to catch the flight back east.

The problem with that tho is that it makes it hard to grab any 2 nights + 1 night free or free lift ticket deals. Now that I think about it, I might have good luck pitching Bend for the week if I can find the right condo on AirBnB (only really feasible by the week.)

I'll see if any of the WA folk suggest a town/lodge they absolutely love - since it seems like the WA mountains themselves probably won't seal the deal.

Man I wish I could change this ticket to Reno or Sac-Mo because I would drop him off in South Lake Tahoe and ride Heavenly all day. It would be perfect.

EDITED to ADD: I thought about Whistler, but for some reason I had it in my head as really far away from Seattle. Since its been suggested a few times I will check into it. Because early season Whistler is like the best of all worlds right? I could def get him into Whistler - as long as its not like 7 or 8 hours away.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
if you want to do Ptown/Hood/Bend you should really try to fly into PDX if you can. if you have to come down from Seattle I5 is probably half the time it would take you to do it on the coastal highway (101). you're talking like 5hrs vs 8-10 on the coast. i'd only do the 101 if you plan to try and enjoy the beach/stay there too...

sounds like willis will prefer Portland to Seattle tho. Seattle is way bigger, more expensive, metropolitan... Portland is and for 25+ years has been what Brooklyn now wants to be :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
flying into SeaTac is about 15/20 min south of seattle, there is no coastal hwy heading south unless you want to go waaay out of the way. Whistler, depending on traffic/boarder could be nightmarish depending on poor timing due to Seattle traffic, boarder load and Vancouver traffic...best 6 hours worst...10+...but there are some cool things to do along the way to break up/time the traffic...and Vancouver is the crown jewel/cosmopolotian center of the west coast and imho is slightly better than SF or the LA shithole. Going south is a straight shot to Portland...1.5-2 hours and imho the only big thing to see along the way is Mt St Helens.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
flying into SeaTac is about 15/20 min south of seattle, there is no coastal hwy heading south unless you want to go waaay out of the way. Whistler, depending on traffic/boarder could be nightmarish depending on poor timing due to Seattle traffic, boarder load and Vancouver traffic...best 6 hours worst...10+...but there are some cool things to do along the way to break up/time the traffic...and Vancouver is the crown jewel of the west coast and imho better than SF or the LA shithole. Going south is a straight shot to Portland...1.5-2 hours and imho the only big thing to see is Mt St Helens.
no way you're making it from seattle to portland in 1.5 hours... 2 hours would be with an 85 mph average... :blink:

3-3.5 is more realistic imo. if you're stopping, 5 easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best "RESORTY" resort near Seattle will be Whistler. It is about as resort as you can get. As for distance away, if you Google it it will say 3 hours and 40 minutes away from Seattle, about an hour less than it would take to get to Mt. hood.

Plus, on your way back from Whistler, if you are still up for shredding, you can swing by Mt. Baker. Which has world record snowfall.
Just sayin'.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Could stay in Leavenworth and hit up Stevens during the day. Back side bowl is way fun. and Leavenworth has some nice romance to it. Or maybe thats just one too many Oktoberfests there talking.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
we open Dec7, last year the opening 2 weeks were epic...knock knock

they've got all the fireplace rooms and all the resorty stuff right at the base, and whitefish is a very fun town ( i hear, lol)

is MT PNW?, i dunno, it's NW anyway

1 - 20 of 47 Posts