Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting back into boarding after many years off, I used to use Switch bindings & boots, but my old boots are too tight now and needed to be replaced. I ended up getting some Salomon Savage boots (which I like), and some Ride EX bindings which work well but are too much trouble to get in and out of. My GF skis, so it would be nice if she didn't have to wait while I wrestle with the strap bindings. I am considering Flow NXT AT bindings, any brands or models I should consider?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I love my Flow NXT-AT's.

K2 Cinch's are another option.

I hear a lot of good stuff about the K2 Auto Ever's too.

You'll find a LOT of opinions on all of them with a search here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are also the Ride Contraband line of bindings if you're looking at convenience binding alternatives. The 2011 Optimos are even fully adjustable on board (a knock again previous iterations).

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the Ride stuff is pretty well made, the 2011 Contrabands look like a good improvement over the '10 ones.
I really want something I can have my foot in off the chair, and engage w/o sitting down. Looks like the Flow and K2 are the best bets, still leaning toward the Flow given it's simpler design and positive customer feedback.

·
Registered
77 Posts
In all honesty, I could strap up in conventional bindings without sitting down but it took a lot of balance, HOWEVER my flows ('10 NXT ATSE's) are 10X's easier to do that. Infact now I just kick my rear foot in on the lift and ride off and as I'm riding off I throw the back up and tear down the hill. At the bottom I don't even stop (well I slow down of course) but instead just keep riding over to the lift and as I'm riding over I reach down and pull the back down and go right up to the pick up zone. It's nice when it's a week night late b/c there aren't many people there so I literally don't have to stop until I need to when the chair is swooping in to pick me up.

I have yet to see ANYONE using conventional bindings do that. In fact when I do that, the lifties comment every once in a while sayin it's pretty cool to be able to do that when they notice me doing that.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In all honesty, I could strap up in conventional bindings without sitting down but it took a lot of balance, HOWEVER my flows ('10 NXT ATSE's) are 10X's easier to do that. Infact now I just kick my rear foot in on the lift and ride off and as I'm riding off I throw the back up and tear down the hill. At the bottom I don't even stop (well I slow down of course) but instead just keep riding over to the lift and as I'm riding over I reach down and pull the back down and go right up to the pick up zone. It's nice when it's a week night late b/c there aren't many people there so I literally don't have to stop until I need to when the chair is swooping in to pick me up.

I have yet to see ANYONE using conventional bindings do that. In fact when I do that, the lifties comment every once in a while sayin it's pretty cool to be able to do that when they notice me doing that.
THAT is exactly what I'm after. Like I said, after using step-ins, straps just don't seem logical to me.
How do you like the ATSE's, I've narrowed it down to ATSE or FSE Flows...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look into K2 Cinch and Gnu Fastec binders too.
I ended up ordering Flow NXT FSE's. The K2's looked nice, but I'm concerned about the plastic construction, same for the GNU, which I couldn't find any feedback on either. I'm 230 lbs and felt an aluminum base was the way to go. Of coarse as soon as I ordered these my Bro tells me I should have bought the Flow NXT FRX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive got the gnu ag with the aluminum base and i love it. i switch from k2 cinch to ride ex and now the gnus and i think the gnu are the lightest fastest step ins ive tried.

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
THAT is exactly what I'm after. Like I said, after using step-ins, straps just don't seem logical to me.
How do you like the ATSE's, I've narrowed it down to ATSE or FSE Flows...
If you can afford it, go with the FSE. They are a lighter version of the ATSE basically. Better cushioning too. They are around the same stiffness.

| Snowboards.net

I have the FSE and absolutely love them. They've been very good to me this season and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I did run into a slight issue with part of the leather on the top ripping due to my boots getting caught on it as I stepped out, but Flow has more than made up for it. They sent out a generic pair of tops overnight to hold me over until the actual tops came (also overnight).

I have also demoed the 2011 ATSE and loved that binding as well. You really can't go wrong either way. :thumbsup:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you can afford it, go with the FSE. They are a lighter version of the ATSE basically. Better cushioning too. They are around the same stiffness.

| Snowboards.net

I have the FSE and absolutely love them. They've been very good to me this season and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I did run into a slight issue with part of the leather on the top ripping due to my boots getting caught on it as I stepped out, but Flow has more than made up for it. They sent out a generic pair of tops overnight to hold me over until the actual tops came (also overnight).

I have also demoed the 2011 ATSE and loved that binding as well. You really can't go wrong either way. :thumbsup:
I did end up ordering the FSE's, was really worried I should have got the FRX's. I spoke with Flow and found there is minor differences between the 2. The FSE has lightening holes machined into the base, the FRX has a stiffer top-strap and highback. The guy at Flow thought I might be a little better off with the FRX, so I called Sierra to change the order and the Rep there talked me into keeping the FSE's. His bases was they are both going to be durable, but he felt strongly that the FRX would be too stiff for my ability. He claims to be a pretty good rider and said bindings that stiff really work you over. Not sure it's the same, but I once bought a really hot waterski that was twitchie and nervous, it wasn't much fun for a mid level skier. The Flow guy also mentioned the AT & ATSE aren't a great choice for heavier guys because of the nylon highback not being as rigid as the 2 peice design found on the FSE and FRX. I hope I like my new FSE, and I hope the size L fits my 10's.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts