Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am leaning towards another never summer. right now i have a NS Legacy 161 that i feel is a bit large for me.

i am 5'11, 190-195 lbs with a size 10 boot.

i basically only ride groomers and glades. virtually 0 park.

i am thinking the 158 Cobra might check all my boxes.

your thoughts?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have ridden both the Cobra and the Ripsaw, and the Ripsaw is much better for bombing groomers and riding glades...IMO.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
161 a bit large :eyetwitch2:

For groomers, generally the longer the better. For glades I can understand wanting something that turns quick.

·
Registered
312 Posts

For groomers, generally the longer the better. For glades I can understand wanting something that turns quick.
Probably felt a bit large since he got a Legacy when he didn't need a wide board with a size 10 boot.

For your weight I would look at the 159 Ripsaw.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I'd go West over Ripsaw personally.

The Ripsaw is the type of board you are gonna get if you know you want something burly, and you know for sure it is the kind of riding you do. People who ride this kind of board know it and aren't disappointed.

The West is more of a "holy shit this is fun" experience. I know some people who feel that way about the Ripsaw, but mainly that person is Vince, and his 2 favorite boards are super planks compared to what I ride.

Something I've been meaning to make a separate post about, is how board stiffnesses change with length. I typically ride 154-157cm, while many people my size and even 10-15lbs smaller will comfortably ride a 164 (Vince, Deagol....). I rode a 156 Ripsaw. It is so short and stiff that its like riding a 2x4. Give it ~10 more cm and suddenly because of leverage, a board of the same stiffness is gonna lively up. So this brings alot of things into question, and has to make us think about board sizing in different terms. The missing factor here is that I haven't had a chance to ride bigger boards. Getting the chance to grow a relationship with NS this year, I'm hoping to get on a big variety of sizes next year and report back on this theory.

The most important factor here, imo is board flex, particularly when it comes to riding basics like camber engagement.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
^^^^^
Leaning along these lines myself.. Bought the Never Summer 164 X StromTrooper for next season. The last two seasons had the N.S X 163 Heritage , 159 RipSaw. Looking forward to as you say a little more fun.

Last season went on a tour at Never Summer plant while in Colorado.

SnowDog | SnowDogWax.com

SnowDog | SnowDogWax.com

·
Registered
5,463 Posts

My thoughts too.

161 not really too big for him. At all.

Glades... obviously in powder right? if so... 161 is pretty much as small as you should go dependig on the board.

And defintely Cobra over ripsaw for that. Also... the Cobra is so agile you should be able to make any turn, anywhere in a 161 and longer. Even wide. NS boards and the Cobra especially, are super agile and kinda flexy... X don't feel like a boat.

So yeah..... Cobra or West would be the way to go. Cobra if your riding spots don't get too choppy, or West if you're fine with a bit less floaty feeling.

I had a 158 Cobra and weight 170 lbs. Too short. I should have had a ~162 or so. Also rode a 160 X West and it was about perfect on spring groomers.... would go even longer for pow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
161 Too Big IMO

For hard-packed groomers; no need for something as long as a 158+
Personally I'm 180 lbs and ride a 152 Butterknife and 155 Jibsaw
(Surprisingly the Jibsaw has a shorter effective edge than the Rome)

The 156 or smaller, recommended by the others seems more fitting in sizing.
Look into Rome's lineup, great boards but I may have some bias.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Pout and F1EA always suggest long boards because they ride up in Canada but here in the states CO and to the east a 156 is ideal for you.

As for the bindings you can see the straps almost bottomed out but I don't think that will affect your riding or comfort.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My thoughts too.

161 not really too big for him. At all.

Glades... obviously in powder right? if so... 161 is pretty much as small as you should go dependig on the board.

And defintely Cobra over ripsaw for that. Also... the Cobra is so agile you should be able to make any turn, anywhere in a 161 and longer. Even wide. NS boards and the Cobra especially, are super agile and kinda flexy... X don't feel like a boat.

So yeah..... Cobra or West would be the way to go. Cobra if your riding spots don't get too choppy, or West if you're fine with a bit less floaty feeling.

I had a 158 Cobra and weight 170 lbs. Too short. I should have had a ~162 or so. Also rode a 160 X West and it was about perfect on spring groomers.... would go even longer for pow.
Pout and F1EA always suggest long boards because they ride up in Canada but here in the states CO and to the east a 156 is ideal for you.

As for the bindings you can see the straps almost bottomed out but I don't think that will affect your riding or comfort.
If you are in NJ as your name suggests then I would say 156 is enough for the small mountains near by.
That. Almost fully consistent with my experience.
lol. appears we have 2 separate camps here.

do we all agree that the Legacy might NOT be the board for me and i'd be better suited on either a Cobra, Ripsaw or West? i need to at least establish that something (one of those 3) would be more ideal for me.

would i even notice a difference moving from one board to the other?

let's take care of that and THEN move onto sizing as it appears some think 156 would work and others think 161 is perfect.

me right now = :dizzy:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Legacy is for people with big feet. I just think riding a wide board with size 10 boots is not the way to go unless riding powder but can be done if its what you like.

I've demoed the ripsaw and it's a fun board for exactly what you described. I haven't rode the West but I don't doubt it's a badass. I don't care for the Cobra.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,229 Posts
lol. appears we have 2 separate camps here.

do we all agree that the Legacy might NOT be the board for me and i'd be better suited on either a Cobra, Ripsaw or West? i need to at least establish that something (one of those 3) would be more ideal for me.

would i even notice a difference moving from one board to the other?

let's take care of that and THEN move onto sizing as it appears some think 156 would work and others think 161 is perfect.

me right now = :dizzy:
Well... different ppl ride different styles on different mountains in different conditions and have tried different boards... and as such will recommend different boards :).

"Groomer n glades no park" is a vague description of what you ride. Add more details and the recommendations probably will become more specific. How often do you ride, how much experience, what's your style, what do you expect from the board e.g. agressive or rather playful? Cruising or hard chaging? Have to cope with moguls? what's the terrain like? 500ft hill or 5000ft slopes? Soft snow or hardpack?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts