Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace my Burton Custom (camber, 151) with a true twin asym board. Maybe a tiny bit bigger.

First, I really like my Custom. No problem following my kids to the park for small jumps, buttering and playing around (to old for rails and bigger jumps:)). Also great for carving in little bigger slopes. I bit board longer should give more stability. I find the custom light and easy to do what I want and the flex is spot on for me. Since I am learning all direction 180s spins I try to ride more switch and then I feel the need for a twin board - not a 100% necessary but a good nice-to-have.

Different styles of asymetric sounds interesting in order to improve my heel edge turns. Thus a twin asym board.

I am 170 cm (5'6") and 68 kg (150 pounds). I have been riding for at least 10 years, mostly in local smaller resorts but 1-3 times year a trip to bigger resorts.
In my quiver I have a Burton Barracuda (157) and Lib Tech TRS HP (154). The Barracuda is for rarely found powder days and the TRS is for when riding with my ski friends in bigger hills.

Reading reviews and based on my current custom I found this years model om Custom twin. It sound like what I need excepts it's (according to reviews) stiffer than my custom. I really like the flex of the custom and a stiffer board would take away a bit of the playful riding I have with the custom...at least that's what I think. Also the custom twin has "PurePop camber" - pros for jumping, cons for edge hold and shorter effective edge.

What is your suggestion of a fun, light weight, medium flexed twin asym board with good edgehold?
Camber or other shape is dictated by the edgehold.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,135 Posts
Gnu Space Case if you prefer CRC profile (same one as your TRS btw). Magnetraction for edge hold.

Yes Greats UnInc if you prefer RCR profile. Underbite for edge hold.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like CRC profile. My TRS har great edge hold. I also have a Burton Antler (flying V) - not so good edge hold.
I also like camber profile. Regarding RCR profile I don't know - never tried one.

I little list on twin asym boards that I found. Any feedback on them?

- Burton Custom Twin 16/17, squeezebox asym
https://www.burton.com/us/en/burton-custom-twin-snowboard/W17-132191.html

- Yes the great, asym form on nose/tail. to stiff? 7/10 in review
Yes. Greats Snowboard 2017 | evo

- GNU Smart Pickle / Park pickle ?
GNU Smart Pickle PBTX Snowboard 2016 | evo outlet

- GNU Riders Choice (softer wood on heel side=softer flex)
GNU Riders Choice Asym C2 BTX Snowboard 2017 | evo

- Ride Helix, asym form nose/tail
Helix Snowboard | Men's Snowboards | Ride Snowboards 2016-2017 Collection

- Bataleon Evil twin, TBT, no aysm this year?
https://www.bataleon.com/shop/evil-twin-asym-221

- Capita Spring break twin, wierd nose/tail form
https://www.capitasnowboarding.com/snowboards/spring-break-twin

How well does the asym nose/tail shape, on for instance, Capita spring break work with butters?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I'd say Space Case if your time is >50% park, Rider Choice if you're looking for something that is still all mountain dominant but will be great in the park too.

I'm kind of in the same category as you with following my son around. Usually all mountain in the mornings and then to the park when things soften up a bit and my Rider Choice handles anything I throw at it.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I have the 2016 Burton Process Off-Axis, it's camber, it's asym, and it rips. Also, the lightest board I've ever felt.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the 2016 Burton Process Off-Axis, it's camber, it's asym, and it rips. Also, the lightest board I've ever felt.
I read angry snowboarders review and he pointed out a possible disturbing thing:
It was weird feeling that spot where the camber meets the flat wash out on me. If it had happened once I would have thought it was just me, but it happened numerous times on different obstacles. I also noticed that it would wash out on hard carves when being pressed through the apex of the turn harder.
2017 Burton Process Off-Axis Snowboard Review - The Angry Snowboarder

Anything you felt?

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I understand the Off-Axis concept correctly both side have the same side cut. The asym comes from placement of frost-bite edges and squeezebox (thickness of the board). Could help heel carving but doesn't give a shorter turning radius like the other brands have.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
If I understand the Off-Axis concept correctly both side have the same side cut. The asym comes from placement of frost-bite edges and squeezebox (thickness of the board). Could help heel carving but doesn't give a shorter turning radius like the other brands have.
I guess I don't know anything about the tech. I picked it up for $150 from a buddy, almost new. It was my first Burton board, so I figured I'd give it a rip, couldn't not for that price (added some decent used EST cartels for $50). :grin:

The whole setup might weight less than my Flow NX2s I have... lol

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I don't know anything about the tech. I picked it up for $150 from a buddy, almost new. It was my first Burton board, so I figured I'd give it a rip, couldn't not for that price (added some decent used EST cartels for $50). :grin:

The whole setup might weight less than my Flow NX2s I have... lol
Wow, for $200 it's nothing to think about:). I guess I'll have to wait for spring sale in order to get close to that price.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Im surprised nobody mentioned the type2 and funslinger, they're both good boards, but the type2 doesn't pop for me. Funslinger is probably what you want.

Asym tips don't affect butters. Nose and tail tips don't touch snow, and if you're buttering any board that hard they're going to dig into the snow regardless of shape.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I am looking to replace my Burton Custom (camber, 151) with a true twin asym board. Maybe a tiny bit bigger.

First, I really like my Custom. No problem following my kids to the park for small jumps, buttering and playing around (to old for rails and bigger jumps:)). Also great for carving in little bigger slopes. I bit board longer should give more stability. I find the custom light and easy to do what I want and the flex is spot on for me. Since I am learning all direction 180s spins I try to ride more switch and then I feel the need for a twin board - not a 100% necessary but a good nice-to-have.

Different styles of asymetric sounds interesting in order to improve my heel edge turns. Thus a twin asym board.

I am 170 cm (5'6") and 68 kg (150 pounds). I have been riding for at least 10 years, mostly in local smaller resorts but 1-3 times year a trip to bigger resorts.
In my quiver I have a Burton Barracuda (157) and Lib Tech TRS HP (154). The Barracuda is for rarely found powder days and the TRS is for when riding with my ski friends in bigger hills.

Reading reviews and based on my current custom I found this years model om Custom twin. It sound like what I need excepts it's (according to reviews) stiffer than my custom. I really like the flex of the custom and a stiffer board would take away a bit of the playful riding I have with the custom...at least that's what I think. Also the custom twin has "PurePop camber" - pros for jumping, cons for edge hold and shorter effective edge.

What is your suggestion of a fun, light weight, medium flexed twin asym board with good edgehold?
Camber or other shape is dictated by the edgehold.
Other than not being asym, the TRs should be perfect for what you are describing? Why not use that and get a more versatile directional board for more serious riding?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As someone else recommended, I would also recommend the GNU space case. I can't praise that board enough. I have the most fun on that board. Its medium-soft flex, poppy, can take it anywhere on the mtn and not too bad in pow. I have the 147 EC2 version and I'm considering buying the new model in the XC2 version. I also have the new 152 NS type two, but the more I ride it, the more I'd rather just be on the space case.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,135 Posts
As someone else recommended, I would also recommend the GNU space case. I can't praise that board enough. I have the most fun on that board. Its medium-soft flex, poppy, can take it anywhere on the mtn and not too bad in pow. I have the 147 EC2 version and I'm considering buying the new model in the XC2 version. I also have the new 152 NS type two, but the more I ride it, the more I'd rather just be on the space case.
Holy cow!
Do you know the abuse you will get on here by choosing any board over the mighty NS Type Two!!!
You are a brave man sir. A brave man.:wink:>:)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Other than not being asym, the TRs should be perfect for what you are describing? Why not use that and get a more versatile directional board for more serious riding?
I like the TRS when riding with my ski friends. Carving both regular and switch works great. It kinda works in jumps , but it's not as light and agile as my custom when I ride with my kids in the park or other "fun" areas.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Im surprised nobody mentioned the type2 and funslinger, they're both good boards, but the type2 doesn't pop for me. Funslinger is probably what you want.

Asym tips don't affect butters. Nose and tail tips don't touch snow, and if you're buttering any board that hard they're going to dig into the snow regardless of shape.
:iagree: Yup this. I have the NS Proto TT and I love it. I'm having tons of fun with it. But it is more of an all-rounder. If you want more park focused check out the funslinger. I'm fully converted to the Never Summer cult. :rofl3: Fucking Colorado taking over my brain.

Holy cow!
Do you know the abuse you will get on here by choosing any board over the mighty NS Type Two!!!
You are a brave man sir. A brave man.:wink:>:)
That's right join the cult, we have cupcakes. :hairy:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts