Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place, is my first time posting here, if so, please feel free to send me in the right direction.

So I've been living in New York for 5 years and this past winter was the worst, barely any snow, all ice, I am ready to move to a city with access to better mountains but I am not sure where.

I am looking for a city that is not further than 2 hours from the mountains, I say city as I can't live in a small mountain town at the moment due to work, I was thinking Denver or Portland maybe Boulder, I guess what I would like know is pretty much anything relevant about living in these cities, cost of living, rent, people, community, etc.
Also, I because the moving is so expensive I might not be able to buy a car for the coming winter, so I am also interested to know if these cities have buses/shuttles daily to the mountains.
I have an Epic Pass (haven't renewed it for 2021 season yet as I don't know where I will be living, and I see that it doesn't have any mountains in the PNW, so also looking for some info about this too.

I appreciate any info/advice you can give me, I am so ready to leave the ice coast !!
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in Portland and we go up every weekend - and sometimes during the week for night ski -- drive is about 1.5 hours. There are shuttles.. not sure about all of them but at least one i know is about $25-$30 round trip. There are also meet up groups where you can meet someone and hitch a ride. I like Portland, moved from Atlanta in 2013 -- I have friends that live in Denver that love skiing but never go anymore because they say because of traffic it takes 2-4 hours to get to the resort. one way. As far as cost of living.. i think if you are open to roomates you can find a place for 500-600 a month ... also public transit in town is pretty great - i didnt have a car for 4 years.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If riding was my only concern and I wanted to live in an urban environment, I would live in the Salt Lake City. Epic terrain, ton of resorts <1 hour drive, night skiing options. I'm not super hyped on SLC overall as a place to live, but if you want to live in a City and your primary goal is to snowboard as much as possible, no better spot.

Portland or Seattle are options with <2 hours drives. Vancouver if you can get a work visa.

I like Denver as a town, but think it's super overrated as a home base for snowboarding. I-70 traffic is a shit show, the resorts are crowded, and the terrain is meh compared to other options in Western North America (in fairness, I've never ridden A-Basin and that spot sounds like more my speed in terrain and vibe).

·
Registered
10 Posts
also just to add ... we dream about being able to live near some sweet spots in Montana or Idaho ... so could be some good options there as well.. with cheaper cost of living ... resorts we love in MT and ID are ... Brundage - Silver Mountain - Snow Bowl Montana -- loves of great spots with no lines,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Portland and we go up every weekend - and sometimes during the week for night ski -- drive is about 1.5 hours. There are shuttles.. not sure about all of them but at least one i know is about $25-$30 round trip. There are also meet up groups where you can meet someone and hitch a ride. I like Portland, moved from Atlanta in 2013 -- I have friends that live in Denver that love skiing but never go anymore because they say because of traffic it takes 2-4 hours to get to the resort. one way. As far as cost of living.. i think if you are open to roomates you can find a place for 500-600 a month ... also public transit in town is pretty great - i didnt have a car for 4 years.
Thank you so much! Appreciate all the info, Portland is actually my 1st choice.
What is the best season pass for the PNW? I have an epic now but is not good for Oregon, was looking into the fission but for some reason there aren’t any passes for 2021 on sale.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If riding was my only concern and I wanted to live in an urban environment, I would live in the Salt Lake City. Epic terrain, ton of resorts <1 hour drive, night skiing options. I'm not super hyped on SLC overall as a place to live, but if you want to live in a City and your primary goal is to snowboard as much as possible, no better spot.

Portland or Seattle are options with <2 hours drives. Vancouver if you can get a work visa.

I like Denver as a town, but think it's super overrated as a home base for snowboarding. I-70 traffic is a shit show, the resorts are crowded, and the terrain is meh compared to other options in Western North America (in fairness, I've never ridden A-Basin and that spot sounds like more my speed in terrain and vibe).
Thank you! I love Utah and powder mountain is one of my favorite spots but I don’t think I’ll enjoy living there all year round.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you so much! Appreciate all the info, Portland is actually my 1st choice.
What is the best season pass for the PNW? I have an epic now but is not good for Oregon, was looking into the fission but for some reason there aren’t any passes for 2021 on sale.
I dont know what the best pass is. We generally always go to Meadows (season pass) - hands down best terrain on Mt. Hood. -- only go to Timberline about once a year and thats usually in the summer. But I alot of people say Tline is pretty mellow and can be boring. SkiBowl is good for midweek night skiing (bc its a little bit closer than meadows and they have ladies night -$20) ..but poor skibowl this year was only opened like a few weeks.. its the lowest resort elevation wise.. so they open a bit later and close earlier..

We also go to Bach a couple times a year in Bend.. but pay day pass rates or find some sort of day pass discount in town during stoke season (sept-nov)

anyways thats all i know about PNW boarding -- have never been to Crystal or Whistler or Alpental (sp?) but they are on the list

1 - 8 of 8 Posts