Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is hugely dependant on the weather and the year we have but for those guys who have been going for ever which of the two generally has better conditions early in the season? I'm talking like early December.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Louise has better snowmaking so more often they have the better conditions early on due to having a base at low/mid mountain.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I know this is hugely dependant on the weather and the year we have but for those guys who have been going for ever which of the two generally has better conditions early in the season? I'm talking like early December.
I've had good powder days in Nov at Louise, but I've only lived here a few years. Honestly by then most of the hills in the area are running near full terrain. Louise's terrain park is good and they put a lot of effort into it early in the year if that's something you're looking for.

Shit I was at Nakiska on Oct 29th last year...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Early on, mostly all the snowmaking at Louise is directed at the world cup course.

Only after the ladies wrap up first weekend of December that they'll start working around the hill.

The early season park is just a couple of boxes and rails, the real park doesn't open until later in the season.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Early on, mostly all the snowmaking at Louise is directed at the world cup course.

Only after the ladies wrap up first weekend of December that they'll start working around the hill.

The early season park is just a couple of boxes and rails, the real park doesn't open until later in the season.
Good to know, thanks for the input guys! I'd prefer to go deeper into the mountains to somewhere like Kicking Horse or White Water but I'm planning this trip for about 12-15 people driving from all over so they wanna stick closer to Calgary.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Good to know, thanks for the input guys! I'd prefer to go deeper into the mountains to somewhere like Kicking Horse or White Water but I'm planning this trip for about 12-15 people driving from all over so they wanna stick closer to Calgary.
From my limited time here, the Banff resorts are better for early conditions anyway. Fernie, KH, etc. get dumped with snow, but that doesn't happen until later in the season.

Nov/Dec seemed to have more powder at Louise last year than Jan/Feb...

If you get "skibig3" passes you can decide in the morning where you want to board. No need to pick one resort or the other right now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Kicking Horse usually opens in early December anyway. Banff is usually the place to be early and late season. Mid-season is the time to venture to those other spots.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From my limited time here, the Banff resorts are better for early conditions anyway. Fernie, KH, etc. get dumped with snow, but that doesn't happen until later in the season.

Nov/Dec seemed to have more powder at Louise last year than Jan/Feb...

If you get "skibig3" passes you can decide in the morning where you want to board. No need to pick one resort or the other right now.
Thanks man, I actually didn't know about those passes. I like to buy the ones from Costco since there only about $185 for three lift tickets so it's a lot cheaper but then you're limited to one place. I'm assuming with those big3 ones though that if you get, say, the 3 out of 4 days pass that they HAVE to be used in a 4 day period from the 1st day right? So I couldn't use 2 one weekend and then the last one 2 weeks later.

Kicking Horse usually opens in early December anyway. Banff is usually the place to be early and late season. Mid-season is the time to venture to those other spots.

Good info to have, thanks man! At this point I'm done baseball for the season, it's getting too miserable for bonfires and outdoor parties so I'm just waiting impatiently on the snow!:thumbsup:

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Thanks man, I actually didn't know about those passes. I like to buy the ones from Costco since there only about $185 for three lift tickets so it's a lot cheaper but then you're limited to one place. I'm assuming with those big3 ones though that if you get, say, the 3 out of 4 days pass that they HAVE to be used in a 4 day period from the 1st day right? So I couldn't use 2 one weekend and then the last one 2 weeks later.
I've never used them, but check with whatever hotel you guys pick, they might have 3/4 passes where you get the 4th day free or something. Not sure if you have to use them all within a week period, I don't think so!

The benefit is you can ride Sunshine/Louise/Norquay with the one pass, whoever gets more snow. With the Costco passes you could buy extra on the way there, and sell them at the hill if you don't use them all. I've seen the frequently on kijiji too (costco passes).

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts

Good info to have, thanks man! At this point I'm done baseball for the season, it's getting too miserable for bonfires and outdoor parties so I'm just waiting impatiently on the snow!:thumbsup:
You actually only get one pass that is valid from the first day to X days later. Each time you go they scan it and it subtracts a day. So it either expires, or you used up your days which ever comes first.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You actually only get one pass that is valid from the first day to X days later. Each time you go they scan it and it subtracts a day. So it either expires, or you used up your days which ever comes first.
Ok, that's kind of what I figured. There's about 15 of us going so I might just get some to buy Costco passes for Sunshine and some can get Louise passes and then just split days or something. I'm not worried about buying extra because I know I'll use them. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Who'd want to come here to ride Norquay ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Norquay's night skiing is only Friday and Sat's.

Why would you want to burn a day on a multi area pass for night skiing ? (It's already cheap)

OP would probably get a better deal buying a Louise Plus Card and Sunshine/Marmot card.

For the price of a lift ticket, you get $20 bucks off a lift ticket, and the 4th day's free.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Why would you want to burn a day on a multi area pass for night skiing ? (It's already cheap)

OP would probably get a better deal buying a Louise Plus Card and Sunshine/Marmot card.

For the price of a lift ticket, you get $20 bucks off a lift ticket, and the 4th day's free.
Shit, I totally forgot about those, that's a great idea, where can you pick them up again?

·
Registered
288 Posts
At the hill usually,

If you're here early Dec, shouldn't be a problem getting them then.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

If you have a 3 mtn ticket you can ride sunshine or the lake during the day and ride norquay at night and it wont cost you another day

1 - 20 of 23 Posts