Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a directional free ride board for the east coast "Vermont" and my annual trip to big mountains "Telluride, Banff, Kicking Horse, Jackson Hole ....ect"
I like the 2022 Yes Pick Your Line and the 2022 Libtec BRD . Which board is better suited for east coast riding and carving?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looking for a directional free ride board for the east coast "Vermont" and my annual trip to big mountains "Telluride, Banff, Kicking Horse, Jackson Hole ....ect"
I like the 2022 Yes Pick Your Line and the 2022 Libtec BRD . Which board is better suited for east coast riding and carving?
I went from a Lib t rice pro and orcas to a PYL. Rode primarily east coast (Vermont) and now am in Colorado. As a disclaimer both those decks were c2 variants though I have a bit of experience with c3 (headspace)

I found moving to the PYL to be a revelation, I’m not sure if it was the mild rocker between the feet or the number of contact points with magna traction but after going to yes the Libs now feel both looser and also a bit more catchy. Whether be going straight or carving the pyl offers a more predictable locked in feel and still performs in the ice with that under bite edge disruption

I haven’t gotten c3 in powder but will say the c2x floated a bit better in powder but the PYL is no slouch with its taper and big nose

At the end of the day if it was my money I’d go for the Yes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went from a Lib t rice pro and orcas to a PYL. Rode primarily east coast (Vermont) and now am in Colorado. As a disclaimer both those decks were c2 variants though I have a bit of experience with c3 (headspace)

I found moving to the PYL to be a revelation, I’m not sure if it was the mild rocker between the feet or the number of contact points with magna traction but after going to yes the Libs now feel both looser and also a bit more catchy. Whether be going straight or carving the pyl offers a more predictable locked in feel and still performs in the ice with that under bite edge disruption

I haven’t gotten c3 in powder but will say the c2x floated a bit better in powder but the PYL is no slouch with its taper and big nose

At the end of the day if it was my money I’d go for the Yes
I'm surprised that you said the libtecs c2x floats better then the PLY. I currently ride a 2016 lib TRS c2x and really think it doesn't really float that well. I know the BRD gets great reviews for float with its early rise nose even though it's more camber c3 .
I would love to demo both boards and see which one carves better and does better in ice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm surprised that you said the libtecs c2x floats better then the PLY. I currently ride a 2016 lib TRS c2x and really think it doesn't really float that well. I know the BRD gets great reviews for float with its early rise nose even though it's more camber c3 .
I would love to demo both boards and see which one carves better and does better in ice.
To be fair my c2x was a orcas 159 with more width then my pyl 164w so it’s not a pure apples to apples, I found the center rocker and tail rocker kept the whole board up where as the pyl was the nose only.

I found the PYL to be way more locked in on ice due to the camber from insert to insert rather then the r-c-r-c-r profile

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
As much as I love my PYL, it's hard to trump camber AND mag on ice. So in this case, probably the BRD. Also consider Rossignol XV or Jones Flagship, both with camber and mag. PYL's underbite edge is better than straight edges but not as clutch on ice as the mag imo.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I read somewhere the BRD has a mellow camber and not your typical aggressive C3 with some rocker on the nose. Also, not much mag too to make it less grippy in the soft snow. It's more of a powder board than a free ride board.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I read somewhere the BRD has a mellow camber and not your typical aggressive C3 with some rocker on the nose. Also, not much mag too to make it less grippy in the soft snow. It's more of a powder board than a free ride board.

I would definitely go c3 if I wanted edge hold on ice over c2x the middle rocker makes it a bit washy. The gremlin would be top of mind

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
As close to full camber as possible for VT. If this is your only board get something with a little rocker in the nose so you can handle the fresh snow. I might look at a K2 Broadcast or Manifest/MTeam if I were you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thinknI read the same thing from the Good Ride or something

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've tried magny-traction on gnu headspace and underbite on yes pyl and the y.
my vote is for under-bite because your use-case is larger turn radius vs. magny-tech for feature-to-feature adjusts.

I ride local east coast hills (laurentians) and find the yes tech better suited for trash and degenerate conditions. Always choose camber dominant. All things being equal, in ice, the camber will dominate rocker and rocker hybrids without breaking a sweat.

For edge-tech: the magny-traction seems to catch awkwardly, vs. the under-bite is a little more graceful. You might be able to make up for things with binding/boots choices. For pressing through ice, I find 6-7/10 stiffness wins the day. you take an agressive all-mnt or 'chill' freeride board/bindings/boots setup, and simply adapt your stance + fill in any gaps with raw skill.

For icy park conditions, probably go magtrac. But for carving/edging freeride like u mention, the underbite tech wins. To really get the most out of it, you need to more carefully (de)tune the edges on the yes boards. So you sharpen more/less so the disruptions bite more ("first catch") and other areas don't out-compete but still bite ("hold"). if you're willing to finesse it that way, the under-bite scales your quiver better.

I suspect stuff like yes.y (honorable mentions to stuff like rome berzerker and nvrsmr east) would be better than both those boards for optimizing carving/edging under uneven, slush, ice, patchy, etc. The Y for example is stiffer and directional at the cost of saying 'nope' to park/jib in trash conditions. it's going to be my daily this season. Climate change is forcing many of us to design for worst-case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've tried magny-traction on gnu headspace and underbite on yes pyl and the y.
my vote is for under-bite because your use-case is larger turn radius vs. magny-tech for feature-to-feature adjusts.

I ride local east coast hills (laurentians) and find the yes tech better suited for trash and degenerate conditions. Always choose camber dominant. All things being equal, in ice, the camber will dominate rocker and rocker hybrids without breaking a sweat.

For edge-tech: the magny-traction seems to catch awkwardly, vs. the under-bite is a little more graceful. You might be able to make up for things with binding/boots choices. For pressing through ice, I find 6-7/10 stiffness wins the day. you take an agressive all-mnt or 'chill' freeride board/bindings/boots setup, and simply adapt your stance + fill in any gaps with raw skill.

For icy park conditions, probably go magtrac. But for carving/edging freeride like u mention, the underbite tech wins. To really get the most out of it, you need to more carefully (de)tune the edges on the yes boards. So you sharpen more/less so the disruptions bite more ("first catch") and other areas don't out-compete but still bite ("hold"). if you're willing to finesse it that way, the under-bite scales your quiver better.

I suspect stuff like yes.y (honorable mentions to stuff like rome berzerker and nvrsmr east) would be better than both those boards for optimizing carving/edging under uneven, slush, ice, patchy, etc. The Y for example is stiffer and directional at the cost of saying 'nope' to park/jib in trash conditions. it's going to be my daily this season. Climate change is forcing many of us to design for worst-case.
The problem is I'm not just looking for a board for carving hard pack and ice exclusively on the east coast. I would like a board that can also handle powder out west with some float.
That being said I am really excited to get off a rocker board and switch to a mostly camber now that I'm improving and laying down some nice carves on my edges.I have experienced the problems you mentioned with rockers and ice . A rocker can be very forgiving but it also lacks stability.
I'm really leaning towards the PYL at this point the 160w would work well with my 11.5. boots.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The problem is I'm not just looking for a board for carving hard pack and ice exclusively on the east coast. I would like a board that can also handle powder out west with some float.
That being said I am really excited to get off a rocker board and switch to a mostly camber now that I'm improving and laying down some nice carves on my edges.I have experienced the problems you mentioned with rockers and ice . A rocker can be very forgiving but it also lacks stability.
I'm really leaning towards the PYL at this point the 160w would work well with my 11.5. boots.

That’s the exact transition I made, t rice pro c2 to yes PYL 164w, 11.5 boot but 250lbs. Ripped it up from Jay peak to Berkshire east and all mountains in between for 50+ days and now am using it in crested butte. For me it was a great Swiss Army knife board for hard pack and powder scenarios. Coming off the rocker dominate t rice i found myself significantly more confident

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That’s the exact transition I made, t rice pro c2 to yes PYL 164w, 11.5 boot but 250lbs. Ripped it up from Jay peak to Berkshire east and all mountains in between for 50+ days and now am using it in crested butte. For me it was a great Swiss Army knife board for hard pack and powder scenarios. Coming off the rocker dominate t rice i found myself significantly more confident
I'm coming off of a libtech TRS c2x. How is your PYL holding up? I have seen reviews of people complaining that it can get banged up easily.
By the way I'm dying to get out to Crested Butte. It looks like an incredibly challenging mountain and I love that it has an old ski town feel!

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,054 Posts
I'm coming off of a libtech TRS c2x. How is your PYL holding up? I have seen reviews of people complaining that it can get banged up easily.
By the way I'm dying to get out to Crested Butte. It looks like an incredibly challenging mountain and I love that it has an old ski town feel!
Topsheet-wise, the PYL is the most fragile board I have. Anything and everything leaves a scrape.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Crested Butte is so sick! There's some incredible freeriding to be had over there when the conditions are good. It can be steep and icy sometimes too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I road the orcas for a season with c2x, my PYL comment would hold.

Boards tale of 2 halves for me, very strong base & sidewall, I’ve gotten into some gnarly rocks and no core shots. Other half top sheet nicks if someone looks at it in the lift line

I got 80 days at CB last year, phenomenal mountain when the snow is right, all sorts of amazing terrain to rip into but it is rocky AF until it fills in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would like a board that can also handle powder out west with some float.
I'm really leaning towards the PYL at this point
Then just do the PYL and don't look back! It's better in pow then the Y but has a more delicate topsheet as ppl have mentioned. only rode it a few hills at tremblanc but we had a powder day there and it monstered the pow and held it's own at the end of the day when the slopes were totally washed out into uneven chop/ice. The yes/underbite tech > magtrac is the move for your application(s). I settled on the Y just for the cost savings (vs. optimistic) and the volume shift. Doubtful you'll get the PYL all scratched up, and if worried there are fixes.

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts