Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been checking out a lot of the Shred Vid's lately,.. (torturing myself in anticipation of SNOW!!) and as a NooB who has yet to "Get Any" big air. How would you guy's (...and/or Gal's) describe the forces involved in sticking those kinds of landings?? The riders in the vid's make it look easy & painless. (...not withstanding the occasional spectacular rag doll wipe-outs!)

I see all these boarders sailing thru the air,.. 30-40-60+ feet & more (...some of those Cliff Drops are straight up, freakin' INSANE!!) and I can't help wondering "exactly how hard are those landings??" What do you folks who have actually made those kinds of jumps, what would you equate those forces to? Jumping off the living room couch?? ...a 3-4 ft. step stool?? ...The roof?? What?

I mean, at 6ft. 220 lbs., 50+. If I just straight jumped off the roof of my house, (9-10 ft.high) ...I'd end up in traction for the entire season!

I was curious as I don't think I have read anyone describing the kinds of stresses they experience landing.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,537 Posts
IF you get your distances right and land IN the landing zone, the touchdown is like jumping down to the landing in your house from 2-3 stairs up. Depending how the jump is set up, it can be as smooth as an airplane coming in for a landing.

On the other hand, if you knuckle or clear the landing zone, it can feel like anything from jumping down the entire flight of stairs to dropping off the roof. I've knuckled some 20ft jumps and it rattles your teeth. I saw a guy knuckle a 30' step-down and he had to lie there a while before he could get up.

Us old guys have to be very deliberate about planning these things out. This season I'm going to use the roller beside the Northlands jump to establish proper approach speed before I actually start hitting the jump.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Most of the time you're landing on an angle while moving forward. This helps a lot in dispersing the force and making the landings softer. The angle allows you to convert some of the force from landing into more speed. You would have to be really lucky to drop 50' with no forward momentum and come away unharmed.

If you actually fell from 40 feet it would look like this:

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Last season was my 1st real air experience and it started late in the season.

As Donutz said when you do it right it is nice and smooth. I have hit harder off a rail landing then a good jump landing.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
watch good landings and study the guys making jumps again Donutz points you in the right direction don't study the failures.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
DO watch the failures. you will learn way more than watching people stick it over and over again. just don't visualize the failures when you go to actually attempt it.

the bottom line is: keep momentum. good jumps have a long and usually steep landing. long so you can't overshoot it, steep so you keep your momentum.

lots of times even if you fall on a big jump, as long as its in the landing its not the end of the world. sure sometimes you instantly catch an edge at speed and slam your head or something hard into the snow, but alot of the time you just skid along on your back like a turtle and you'll be fine, hell even some tumbling ass over teakettle is ok - as long as you kept your downhill momentum.

by far the worst crashes are when things stop very quickly.

as far as landing big kickers goes, as long as you land smoothly and ride away (with speed) it just feels like you landed smoothly and rode away. its just like landing gear touching down. if it was a flatter landing and you stuck it you will have felt like you just absorbed the impact with your knees, quads, lower back, core and kinda muscled out the impact.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D :D :D ha! Thanks Guy's! I appreciate the 1st hand feedback on this!

Don't watch that. You really don't want to watch that.

These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.
No worries Donutz!! I personally am far from ready to attempt anything like even the smaller jumps! As I said,.. I was simply curious because I really had no idea what I should expect from landing one if I ever did give it a try!! No real point of reference!

watch good landings and study the guys making jumps again Donutz points you in the right direction don't study the failures.
DO watch the failures. you will learn way more than watching people stick it over and over again. just don't visualize the failures when you go to actually attempt it.

the bottom line is: keep momentum. good jumps have a long and usually steep landing. long so you can't overshoot it, steep so you keep your momentum.

lots of times even if you fall on a big jump, as long as its in the landing its not the end of the world.

...alot of the time you just skid along on your back like a turtle and you'll be fine, hell even some tumbling ass over teakettle is ok - as long as you kept your downhill momentum.

by far the worst crashes are when things stop very quickly.
Slyder, Shred, thanks! I see the wisdom in both points of view!!
Of course I understood, intellectually anyways, the basic physics that forward momentum and downward landing trajectory would work on dispersing the forces of impact, but as I'm sure you would be the first to tell me,.. understanding it and experiencing it are obviously two completely different animals!!!

It still looks a little freaky and scary to me at this stage of my riding, but it's comforting to hear that when done correctly,.. (...after proper prep and a certain level of progression & mastery of the requisite skills!) I won't have to be able to withstand jumping off a 2 story building or anything to survive it! :D :D ;) (...of course "That" probably wouldn't be bad if I could!!) :D

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
When I landed my 1st park jump small by most standards 15-20 footer HUGE to me. Someone called it "air awareness" seeing what is going on while you are in the air.

My first jump was a blur, literally. I had my eyes open was concentrating. I remember popping of the lip nicely next thing I know I'm riding smoothly down the landing ramp and I don't recall seeing or experiencing a thing till I was nearly off the landing ramp. It is a weird feeling your first real jump, at least it was for me. As the day continued and I hit the jump line more and more I was "seeing" what was happening around me.

This actually scared me more than the landing, which was very clean for my 1st one. Just some more thoughts for ya

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is a great thread.

First of all I have never made any jumps but I am looking forward to it one day.

But before you guys make your jumps, are you ever concerned that people before you might have got stuck (crashed or whatever other reasons) near your landing spot?

Unless we are talking about some 2 feet jumps, I guess it's not until you are in midair then you see if your tentative landing spot is clear or not. Right?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
This is a great thread.

First of all I have never made any jumps but I am looking forward to it one day.

But before you guys make your jumps, are you ever concerned that people before you might have got stuck (crashed or whatever other reasons) near your landing spot?
Moderately. I personally always wait to see that the landing is clear, but skate park rules apply (your job to get yourself out of the way if the guy behind you can't see you).

Some people play it safe in the park and check to see that the person who went before them is still on their feet (and leaving the landing zone).

Other folks just wait a few seconds after the person before *should* have been able to land and clear the area, just presuming that the area is clear enough.

Unless it is a fairly big jump, you can usually see if someone has gotten held up because they fell or something.

Unless we are talking about some 2 feet jumps, I guess it's not until you are in midair then you see if your tentative landing spot is clear or not. Right?
Mmm, that's a bad time to figure out that you're going to have a rough landing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Awesome question and some great answers (accept the video that made me limp)!

Recap, forward momentum and transitions are everything. Thats why when we knuckle it doesn't look as bad as that vid we take a little bounce suck it up in a low stance and ride away.

I over jumped a big hip like that 2 seasons ago. Shattered my front foot heel in 6 pieces. My forward momentum died out around 25'. But Flat landings like this are few and far between most of them are knuckling (not so bad) and over jumping (the worst).

I find myself taking more flat impacts by screwing up on tall boxes and rails and dropping 5'-8' to the deck.

To leave it off you truly don't and shouldn't worry about it till you get there. Just think about that next jump in head of you.GL

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think your question's already been answered, but I'll just say it again. As long as you take off from the lip with the right amount of speed and momentum, the actual landing will not hurt at all. In fact on a perfectly built booter, landing in the "sweet spot" can feel incredibly smooth.

Obviously you'll have to build up the confidence and control in the air to hit bigger jumps, but once you get the hang of it you'll realize how fun jumping can be. :thumbup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Take a park lesson or have your friends to show you the basics of terrain parks. It will give you more confident then just hit the park first time as you might get hurt if you don't know what you are doing. The instruction will teach you the basics and it sure gives you more confident of hitting the smaller jumps and foot control.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I've been checking out a lot of the Shred Vid's lately,.. (torturing myself in anticipation of SNOW!!) and as a NooB who has yet to "Get Any" big air. How would you guy's (...and/or Gal's) describe the forces involved in sticking those kinds of landings?? The riders in the vid's make it look easy & painless. (...not withstanding the occasional spectacular rag doll wipe-outs!)

I see all these boarders sailing thru the air,.. 30-40-60+ feet & more (...some of those Cliff Drops are straight up, freakin' INSANE!!) and I can't help wondering "exactly how hard are those landings??" What do you folks who have actually made those kinds of jumps, what would you equate those forces to? Jumping off the living room couch?? ...a 3-4 ft. step stool?? ...The roof?? What?

I mean, at 6ft. 220 lbs., 50+. If I just straight jumped off the roof of my house, (9-10 ft.high) ...I'd end up in traction for the entire season!

I was curious as I don't think I have read anyone describing the kinds of stresses they experience landing.

I will say though, every snowboarder you see taking huge jumps like that, his legs are 2wice as strong as yours.

You don't really notice to what degree your legs are strengthening, because it happens so gradually, you still get tired @ the same rate.
You probably have to have @ least 40-50 days riding to get close to that strength.

Then one day you'll go off something bigger than normal, your stomach drops & your brain tells you this is gonna suck.
Then you stomp it, your legs don't even buckle one bit. This happens by accident for most people I believe, biting off more than you can chew.

Then there is the boot factor.
I have a bum ankle, so I have been buying pretty much the stiffest boots on the market for the last 20 years.

Your Quadriceps are by far the strongest muscle on your body(jaw doesn't count). Your ankles aren't even close, but stiff boots brings them up to a level close to the strength of your quads. Probably more.

Bare feet & you jump off your roof, yep your right you'll be in traction.:(

Super stiff boots on, your ankles would be fine. :)
You'd still eat shit though, cause your quads aren't strong enough.:mad:

Get 50 days riding in, slap on your super stiff booties, you will stomp that shit. :D
Your neighbors will think your a fuckin' super hero, I know mine do.:cheeky4:

TT

·
Registered
294 Posts
A little too much speed > Not enough speed. When I first started hitting 50+ footers in Tahoe I pussed out the first 2 times or so and landed on the knuckle every time which definitely did some damage to the legs.

The first time I cleared the knuckle I hit it with a little too much speed which launched me like crazy and also threw my weight back way too much. Those couple seconds in the air I thought I was gonna break my back for sure but when I came down on my back I just slid down the landing smooth as shit no pain at all. This was honestly better than me landing it because it made me get over the natural thought of "if I eat shit on this big ass thing Im screwed".

And remember the first couple times you hit 50+ footers your going to need a little more speed that you would normally think because you lose a decent amount of speed going up the larger lips that are necessary for these size jumps. I think thats why I shorted it the first couple times I tried. :thumbsup:

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
...The first time I cleared the knuckle I hit it with a little too much speed which launched me like crazy and also threw my weight back way too much. Those couple seconds in the air I thought I was gonna break my back for sure but when I came down on my back I just slid down the landing smooth as shit no pain at all. This was honestly better than me landing it because it made me get over the natural thought of "if I eat shit on this big ass thing Im screwed".
I can definitely see how experiencing a flubbed landing like that,.. the way you did could be really helpful in getting past the fear and mental blocks.

I imagine Once you "Know", 1st hand that failure doesn't necessarily = death & destruction, it must have been much easier to approach attempting additional jumps without that "Panicked Anticipation" & fear getting in the way to "Muck Up" proper technique. (...not that I'm anxious to give the same thing a try!!) ;):D

...And remember the first couple times you hit 50+ footers your going to need a little more speed that you would normally think because you lose a decent amount of speed going up the larger lips...
Oh My,.. I thank you for your supreme optimism on my behalf! :D :laugh: (...I will store that away for future reference tho!)
I'll consider myself a HUGE success if I finish the season consistently sticking 5 footers!! ;) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very good question and very good responses by all so far. Not much more I can add since I'm not hitting 50 footers at this point. Biggest I've ever hit would probably have been a 20 footer at most and when I was learning I ended up breaking my collarbone hitting a 10 footer. So from my experience, make sure your landing zone is free of huge potholes and moster dips in the middle of it. I hit the 10' kicker, landed it and then my nose went into a pothole of some sort and I flew forward and landed on my front shoulder breaking my clavicle.

So best thing I can recommend is to inspect every jump your going to hit through and through before you hit it rather than just assuming its in good shape and has been maintained.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Chomps if you make it out to Alpine Valley at all this season their beginner park area usually has a super friendly jump, from the lodge looking up the hill it would basically be immediately in front of you. I would say it's normally about a 10ft table top style jump, if you hit it right you might get 5-6ft of air over the table and it's usually a pretty mellow landing. Although it is relatively "small" it is pretty much a perfect jump most of the time in terms of shape, and because it is small & friendly, it's great to practice on. Only downside is it's right in front of the lodge/bar so everyone can see you bail :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.