Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I’m looking for a new board. I currently have a Ride UL 163W and it has started to crack in the base. I’ve had it for a while so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade. My issue is I’m a big guy 6’3” 280-290 lbs with size 14-15 boots depending on brand. With my current board I had to buy risers so my toes and heals didn’t dig in on the steeper stuff or some hard stops. I’d really love to be able to not use them though as they feel different (less connected) while riding.

I’m currently looking at a few different options. I love all mountain type riding. Trees and stuff just mostly casual riding. I usually stay away from the park unless I make a wrong turn. So current options are:
Ride Super Pig
Libtech skunk ape
Burton custom X Wide

I’m open for more options. Those are just the only ones I have found that I think would work. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
First things first. Go to the boot sizing thread by @Wiredsport and make sure you are wearing the right size boots. You would be shocked at how many people come in here and end up going down in boot size. You should not be wearing street shoe sizes in snowboarding boots....

Then deal with the board....

Seriously dont discount just going through the process.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your current board is the 26.6 waist width model? I wear size 13 boots and own the Elan El Grande which is 167 and 28.4 waist and Bataleon Goliath which it's 164 and 26.8 waist. The Elan is not made anymore but Bataleon Stallion at 167w is 27.5 at waist. I'm 6'7" and 240lbs. For this weight I wouldn't go for a shorter board. Are you sure your boots are sized correctly?

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Hey guys! I’m looking for a new board. I currently have a Ride UL 163W and it has started to crack in the base. I’ve had it for a while so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade. My issue is I’m a big guy 6’3” 280-290 lbs with size 14-15 boots depending on brand.
Hi Nick,

You may be able to make tome really good gains right there. Let's start with your foot size. Are you wearing a Wide boot?

Please measure your feet using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi Nick,

You may be able to make tome really good gains right there. Let's start with your foot size. Are you wearing a Wide boot?

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.
STOKED!.....:smile:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Hey guys! I’m looking for a new board. I currently have a Ride UL 163W and it has started to crack in the base. I’ve had it for a while so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade. My issue is I’m a big guy 6’3” 280-290 lbs with size 14-15 boots depending on brand. With my current board I had to buy risers so my toes and heals didn’t dig in on the steeper stuff or some hard stops. I’d really love to be able to not use them though as they feel different (less connected) while riding.

I’m currently looking at a few different options. I love all mountain type riding. Trees and stuff just mostly casual riding. I usually stay away from the park unless I make a wrong turn. So current options are:
Ride Super Pig
Libtech skunk ape
Burton custom X Wide

I’m open for more options. Those are just the only ones I have found that I think would work. Thanks in advance for your help!
The Knapton twin from Donek has a 26cm waist but can be spec'd to 28cm or wider (custom job anything you want).

https://www.donek.com/product/knapton-twin/#topsheet

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am a bigger guy too and I own a skunk ape. So I can give you my opinion on it. I think it's a great big man board for a few reasons. First off it is very forgiving, doesn't punish for mistakes. Plenty of width for bigger feet. I wear a 13 (but according to weird sport in should be a 12) and I have even ridden it with 14's and had no major heel/toe drag issues. Bindings are set at 18 front -12 rear if memory serves me. Turns initial a bit slower and such especially if your going slow compared to more nimble and narrow boards. The hybrid rocker profile can be playful and used for all mountain. I rented one when I first got back into riding after a long break and fell in love with it then. I would say only thing now is I got a bit board of it and went back to full camber rides. Though at the best of my ability the skunk ape was handling everything and can be a daily driver. I also own the box knife and hot knife in wide and they work for a size 13 as well. If you have any other questions that I can help with feel free to ask.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Nick,

30.4Cm Length and 12.1Cm Width. Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
49 Posts
30.4Cm Length and 12.1Cm Width. Thanks so much for your help!
That's size 12.5 US and EEE width. The problem is.... most of the brands don't make boots in half sizes above mondo 300. I only know of Salomon, Adidas, Deeluxe and Nitro. Burton wide boots which would fit you come in size 12 and 13 only.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's size 12.5 US and EEE width. The problem is.... most of the brands don't make boots in half sizes above mondo 300. I only know of Salomon, Adidas, Deeluxe and Nitro. Burton wide boots which would fit you come in size 12 and 13 only.
So the best thing would be to go 13 then correct? 13 EEE?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most likely. I haven't found Burton boots in size 12.5 so far when I was looking for myself. I would wait for Wiredsport's reply. He will give you a better idea of what to look for. But for such a big difference in boot size your board selection options will increase considerably.

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
So the best thing would be to go 13 then correct? 13 EEE?
Hi Nick,

Yes, Sadly we are still limited for Wide boot options but either the Burton Ruler Wide or Burton Photon Wide will work well in Mondopoint 310 or size 13 in snowboard boots. Keep in mind that your underlying size is 12.5 so many traditional Wide models will be good choices for you. Lots of options out there!

STOKED!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok awesome. So now that I’ll be down a size from 14-13 does that open up any more options for me? I’m considering the xl superpig or the stump ape now. Thoughts?

·
Registered
142 Posts
When I was writing the wrong boots size, which was 14 I think any board that I tried that had a 26.5 waist was fine. So anything around that Mark I think you’ll be OK with the 13s

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
One other thing to consider if you're worried about foot size and boot-out are bindings. Many bindings have a large heel loop but ones like Flow NX2-GT's don't. Combined with the size 13 boots down from 14 and no heel loop you're shaving a few cm's off of the width which will expand your board options further.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts