Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo,

I’m new here so apologies if this has been answered countless times.

I’m a 6’5” 215lbs boot size 13 dude, with about 10 years of experience (I guess intermediate level).

I’m looking for a good all mountain board that will get me around through trees and on groomers. I’m not a huge park guy, but hitting some jumps would be fun. This year I want to make it my goal to perfect my switch, so not sure how that will correlate to twin or directional (what are your recommendations?)

We don’t get much powder here, so I’ll be trying to find some in the trees therefore Ill need something mobile.

I was eye balling the 161 skunk ape HP or the 164.5 W t.rice pro. Could you give me any recommendations or personal experience?
Really appreciate it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I demoed both at the end of last season. The Skunk Ape has been a dream board of mine for some time (similar specs to you; add an inch and add 40lbs, at the time of demo) I rode the 169 SA and loved it. Both boards rode pretty similar but also only took a couple runs on each so I'm sure there are some subtle differences there that I wasn't able to pick up. I lean more towards the SA but my preference for board, sans volume shifted, is to be 165+. I know it's only .5cm difference but I just have a mental block about it for some reason.

The biggest differences between the two are: A) the base. The T. Rice has a sintered base and the Skunk has Lib's TNT base, which from my understanding is their version of extruded. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that :p. B) the set back.T. Rice has 0 set back and the SA has .5in setback,. You are basically standing in the center of both boards so riding switch would be natural on either. And C) something that most people don't need to think about but us vertically blessed people need to look into is the stance range. How wide is your stance? The SA goes up to 26in where as the T. Rice only goes to 25. If your stance is narrower than that then no worries but that is definitely something I look at when searching for boards.

None of the above are necessarily better or worse, just things to consider.

Both boards fit what you described as your riding style. I am curious though why a 161 SA or a 164.5 T. Rice? In theory, the 161.5W T. Rice would ride more similarly to the 165 SA due to the effective edge measurements. I think the Waist Width on both would be fine if that was your concern for the size difference. Congrats on your future new deck!

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I'd add the TRice Goldmember 163 to your list. It has some setback so it performs a little better in pow than the TRice Pro and I found it slightly easier to turn.

Also the Lib EJack 162W or Gnu Mullair 164W have similar width and are even more directional but still ride switch just fine. And if you want to really work on switch, flipping the bindings on a directional board is the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts