Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new board because my Rome reverb rocker just does not work well for what I do. I mostly just carve blacks and never go to the park. I also want a board that can handle powder well since I do see powder a few times a year. I weigh about 130lb and am 5'9" with a size 9.5 boot. My bindings are flux dmcc-lights if that matters. I was really interested in the never summer raptor but am not sure if the 156 is too big or not. I am also considering the 154 Jones flagship but would rather get the raptor if it isn't too big. I will also take other suggestions.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Raptor if you are into high speed carving with powder capability or a 153 cobra if you want something just a little more playful. You have to probably be on your game all the time with that raptor though because you are slightly undersized

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel like I don't have many choices then. I was also considering the yes pick your line but it's also 156. Is the flagship any good, for some reason I feel like I shouldn't get it.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I've got about 18 days on my Virus so far. I've used this in all conditions and for a big mountain board I haven't been on anything even close to it. For carving, powder, etc. it's just significantly better than even a Burton T7 which is supposed to be a great big mountain board.

I'm not sure how it compares to the other exotics (Kessler Ride, Oxess Freeride, Donek Incline, Prior Mens Freeride), but compared to any mass produced freeride board I've tried, it's on another planet.

When I bought it I tried to ride it with an open mind. And I've been on several "normal" boards since then (Burton T7, Burton Custom, Palmer Platinum), and this board is just better. I know it's subjective, but it's better.

Okay I'm done gushing... :blink: the only problem is it's about $1400 by the time it's shipped from Germany.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There are lots of other options. First you should probably decide if you want a RCR or CRC variant. They ride very differently even for similar styles of board. I prefer CRC such as NS or Lib C2BTX. You could look at a Lib TRS 154, Trice 150/53 or attack banana 153 or GNU Riders Choice 154.5

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Raptor if you are into high speed carving with powder capability or a 153 cobra if you want something just a little more playful. You have to probably be on your game all the time with that raptor though because you are slightly undersized
speaking of a 153 cobra, i have one for sale for $375 + shipping.. if you change your mind, PM me

·
Registered
417 Posts
Theres one other freeride board out there I would love to try out. The Nidecker Megalight. Not going to throw down nearly 700 bucks to try it without riding it though. Just want to see how it fares compared to my Raptor. Something for you to add to your list though.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Theres one other freeride board out there I would love to try out. The Nidecker Megalight. Not going to throw down nearly 700 bucks to try it without riding it though. Just want to see how it fares compared to my Raptor. Something for you to add to your list though.
YES PYL and Jones Flagship are almost identical to the megalight....made by nidecker, same profile....flagship is stiffer though

Also I traded with a friend of mine who rides the Raptor, and I ride a Pick Your Line....the different camber profiles make them ride REALLY different. I found the raptor to be much more damp than the PYL, but when flat-basing or cat-tracking to a different area, the raptor felt a bit loose and squirrely. they both had the same amount of float to me. I would really try to demo/rent a board with the two main types of hybrid profiles (RCR vs CRC) and see which you like better.

·
Registered
417 Posts
YES PYL and Jones Flagship are almost identical to the megalight....made by nidecker, same profile....flagship is stiffer though

Also I traded with a friend of mine who rides the Raptor, and I ride a Pick Your Line....the different camber profiles make them ride REALLY different. I found the raptor to be much more damp than the PYL, but when flat-basing or cat-tracking to a different area, the raptor felt a bit loose and squirrely. they both had the same amount of float to me. I would really try to demo/rent a board with the two main types of hybrid profiles (RCR vs CRC) and see which you like better.
I agree. Flat basing the Raptor does get a little loose...especially near the bottom of a pow line when tracking through the little rabbit trails. Otherwise, best board ive ever owned. The PYL is interesting but I though the base materials and edges and dampning were different with the megalight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Also I traded with a friend of mine who rides the Raptor, and I ride a Pick Your Line....the different camber profiles make them ride REALLY different. I found the raptor to be much more damp than the PYL, but when flat-basing or cat-tracking to a different area, the raptor felt a bit loose and squirrely.
That rip down to stairway chair convinced me to pick up The Greats, just arrived today.

·
Registered
947 Posts
That rip down to stairway chair convinced me to pick up The Greats, just arrived today.
I actually saw this sick pow board i wanted (desc said it floats on anything). Then i took it to my bath thub and it wouldnt float, so i exchanged it for burton mystery. I swear it was the swallow tails fault.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts