Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an idea today and was wondering if anyone out there is doing it. I have a car with no roof rack. I was thinking I could buy a mountain bike rear car rack. Then mount my snowboard rack to that. One thing that kind of worries me is weight. But I cannot imagine 3 mountain bikes heavier than 4 snowboards. Anyone done this or seen it done?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. that was cool the way is typed it in for me but that was not my question. I have no hitch on my car. But some bike carriers do not need hitches. These type of bike racks attach with only straps. But it has two bars that extend out the rear of the vehicle. I was thinking I could attach my snowboard rack to the two bars on the mountain bike rack. This would make me care my snowboard perpindictular to the vehicle's travel. Take a look at this link

Allen Deluxe Trunk Mounted 3-Bike Carrier - Walmart.com

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
not sure that could be a good idea because it will act like a spoiler but it would be far back. that might create a drag on your car and slow it down or at least you could burn more gas. thats my opinion on that, i would not do it myself.have you had the chance to look at SEARS for roof racks? i got mine from there for $200 and i just kept looking at craiglist for snowboard racks. i spent a total of $300 for my setup last summer. hope you could find something,goodluck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
A roof rack will hurt your MPG just as much if not more. My roof rack takes off about 3 MPG while im on the highway. It honestly probably wouldn't hurt anything, at most you might generate a tad bit of downforce at 100+, but you shouldn't be going that fast with that thing on your car anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts