Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I've been lurking this Forum for several years now, and always found it to be a useful reference tool every since I stopped following new tech innovations in riding. So, I finally decided to join and be part of the discussion.

As the title says, I'm looking for input on bindings. I have a few in mind, but would appreciate any input you may have.

The Facts

Experience: 18 seasons :)
Location: Upstate NY, Mass, and Vermont riding (fast hardpack).
Rider: 5'11" 155lbs
Style: Aggressive freeride. Fast charging, hard carving, popping off drops, rollers, and hips. Essentially zero rails, but the occasional park jump when conditions are good. Occasional pop-180 or butter, nose / tail / method grabs. Trees when available.
Current set-up: Trilogy Arts "The Castle" 157, older Union Data bindings, Salomon F20 boots. Boots are ill-fitting and will be replaced as well.
Stance: Slight duck, good bit of forward lean. Considering going back to a 100% directional stance because I almost never ride switch.
*The new board I'm looking at bindings for: * Smokin' Superpark 156 (camber). This is a "freestyle" board, but is said to be snappy and medium stiff. Weight range for this size is 150-200. Seeing as though I'm only 155, it should make the board on the stiffer / snappy end for me, which I love.

The Contenders:

-Raiden Phantom (highback stiff enough?)
-Raiden Blackhawk
-K2 The Company
-K2 Formula (too soft?)
-Rome Arsenal (low end?)
-Rome Targa

*I've never ridden a canted binding before, so it's of interest. Beneficial ? Not sure.

*Flows are always on my mind, but unsure of them.

*I'm not really a Burton fan, so please don't go there. It's only because I find their bindings too wide for the narrow boots I use and will use.

That's my essay; thanks for entertaining it.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
If you think you'll be riding a directional stance why are you looking at a twin board?

Bindings that will fit your style best are the Company and Blackhawks from that list. I'd add Flow NX2 AT's or Fuse RS's and Flux SF's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already bought that board. The reason that I bought it is this: It was a great deal for a high-end magne traction board, and the flex seemed aggressive enough for me.

I rode a directional stance for 15 seasons or so, then tried "duck". There are occasions when I ride switch, it's just rare.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
If you think you'll be riding a directional stance why are you looking at a twin board?
I already bought that board. The reason that I bought it is this: It was a great deal for a high-end magne traction board, and the flex seemed aggressive enough for me. There are occasions when I ride switch, it's just rare.
Sounds like you bought the wrong board. I know in most posts we say the boards aren't that big of a deal, but if you almost never ride switch, why get a twin board?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds like you bought the wrong board. I know in most posts we say the boards aren't that big of a deal, but if you almost never ride switch, why get a twin board?
Probably got it from the Smokin factory sale. 200 bucks for a good board is pretty sexy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I appreciate the concern you all have about the board being a twin, however, I've been riding 30+ days per season for 18 years. I'll be fine on this twin; the flex is right, the weight range is right, the waist width is right. I wanted to try Magne on a non-Mervin board, and got a great deal on the Smokin', as mentioned. The board I'm replacing, the Trilogy Arts one, is also a true twin and has been nothing less than a joy to ride.

I don't mean to sound pompous, rather, I'm just confident that this board will work fine, and I came for advice on new binding tech and matching them to the Smokin'. I haven't stayed up on the tech, and bought my Union Datas several years ago; they're now a bit beat-up. Thanks

I'm not super interested in Flux bindings. Maybe it's worth another look, but last time I tried a pair they were overly wide and too plush for good response.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What model of which ? Board, or bindings ?

My old (current) set-up is a Trilogy Arts "The Castle" 157cm with Union Data bindings (the originals).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The plot thickens:

Evo.com has 2013 Raiden Phantoms for $133 after discount code.

They also have the 2013 Rome Targa for $149 after discount code.

Milosport has the Raiden Blackhawk for $145.

Am I ignoring an obvious choice ?

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
The plot thickens:

Evo.com has 2013 Raiden Phantoms for $133 after discount code.

They also have the 2013 Rome Targa for $149 after discount code.

Milosport has the Raiden Blackhawk for $145.

Am I ignoring an obvious choice ?
Honestly, whatever you go with will not make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
just wanted to chime in on the smokin' superpark, my flatmate this last season rode the 11'/'12 model and absolutely loved it for freeriding and the days I rode with him I can say it was a phenomenal board that killed it on all the terrain we hit. Can't comment on park because we never ventured into it

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are looking for response from Flux... try the SF or DM. Also, Flux has 3 sizes to ensure it fits every boot out there. Sometimes people get confused because what maybe called a large in most binding brands is actually a medium in Flux's. If you have any Flux questions I would be happy to clear anything up!

·
Registered
196 Posts
ive heard good things about the airbags on nitro/raiden bindings.. i picked up a pair of raiden zeros this summer and im really looking forward to trying them. phantoms are a step up from zeros i believe and a bit stiffer?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll take a closer look at the new Flux SF. I'm still looking at Raiden stuff at this point, primarily, and am now looking at sizing options. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts