Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's good everybody,
Just a quick question if my board is too narrow, I know this question was asked like 100k times, but I just want to get some reassurance if my setup will work this season. I'm a total noob just starting out so I'm still figuring out things etc.. My board is 155cm with 250mm waist width, my boot size is 11.5 using low profile boots. My stance is +15 in front and -9 in back. I'm including some pictures so you'll get some sorts of an idea. Thank you all for any help. 20191116_140037.jpg 20191116_140523.jpg 20191116_140544.jpg 20191116_140714.jpg 20191116_140731.jpg 20191116_140800.jpg 20191116_140825.jpg 20191116_140843.jpg 20191116_140945.jpg 20191116_141012.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PlanB, Thank you so much for a quick reply and reassurance, like I said I'm pretty new to snowboarding and was afraid that my bindings and boots are overhanging too much. The overhang is equal on both heel and toe side.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Hi Acid,

The much more important issue is barefoot overhang. It is very common for new riders to buy boots in their shoe size (which is always too large). If that is the case, the boot can be very well centered while the foot will often be way off. Have you taken your barefoot measurements yet? What boot size do you have?

Please measure your feet using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

STOKED!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Wiredsport,

I usually wear shoe size 11 or 11.5 it depends if it's a Nike or Puma shoes.
I measured my foot as you said and it came out to 11 1/8 in (28.25cm) and the width is 3 7/8 in (9.8cm).

Got a new board from Rome it's a Factory Rocker and when I put my bare feet on the board where the bindings will go my feet barely overhang at 0 degree stance, plus I'm new to snowboarding. This year will be my 5th time on the board so I'm total noob so no carving of any kind etc..

Thank you,

aCiD

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Hi Acid,

28.25 cm is Mondopoint 285 or size 10.5 US in snowboard boots. 9.8 cm is a narrower C width foot. I would strongly suggest that you correct this as it will become very difficult to correctly center your foot in boots that are a full size too large. Are you riding at a zero degree stance angle?

STOKED!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Wiredsport,

So in other words I should get smaller boots and most likely different bindings? Right now my boots are the same size as my regular shoes so 11.5 and my bindings are I think if I remember correctly XL.
My stance is +15/-9 but I might experiment more with that.

Thank you,

aCiD

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Hey Wiredsport,

So in other words I should get smaller boots and most likely different bindings? Right now my boots are the same size as my regular shoes so 11.5 and my bindings are I think if I remember correctly XL.
My stance is +15/-9 but I might experiment more with that.

Thank you,

aCiD
Hi,
You will want size 10.5 US boots. 28.25 cm is mid range (the range is 28.1 to 28.5 cm) for mondopoint 285. With the stance angles you have noted, you will lose about 1 cm of barefoot overhang. You will want to make sure that you still have some barefoot overhang at your stance angles as this is critical for leverage. The range for each binding model is different. Is your binding labeled XL?

STOKED!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
You will want size 10.5 US boots. 28.25 cm is mid range (the range is 28.1 to 28.5 cm) for mondopoint 285. With the stance angles you have noted, you will lose about 1 cm of barefoot overhang. You will want to make sure that you still have some barefoot overhang at your stance angles as this is critical for leverage. The range for each binding model is different. Is your binding labeled XL?

STOKED!
Hey Wiredsport,

Thank you for all your help, sorry didn't get back sooner to this thread but I was out of town. Yes my bindings are L-XL (Rome 390 Boss). I just picked up Nidecker Triton boots in size 11, they felt the most comfortable on my feet they feel just perfect with just a little bit of wiggle room in toe box. Bindings and boots should be here next weeks so Stoked!

Thank you,

aCiD

·
Registered
100 Posts
You will want to make sure that you still have some barefoot overhang at your stance angles as this is critical for leverage.

STOKED!
Is this true for volume shifted snowboards like the Orca? My feet are 265 and the 147 size model has a 257 waist width. The 150 has a 265 waist width...thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Hey Wiredsport,

Thank you for all your help, sorry didn't get back sooner to this thread but I was out of town. Yes my bindings are L-XL (Rome 390 Boss). I just picked up Nidecker Triton boots in size 11, they felt the most comfortable on my feet they feel just perfect with just a little bit of wiggle room in toe box. Bindings and boots should be here next weeks so Stoked!

Thank you,

aCiD
You don't want any wiggle room in a boot (especially a new boot). You are a mid-range 10.5 not an 11.

STOKED!

·
Registered
224 Posts
You don't want any wiggle room in a boot (especially a new boot). You are a mid-range 10.5 not an 11.

STOKED!
Why is this exactly? If you have a little bit of room and your heel and ankle are locked in and you're not going to be sliding forward, then what's the issue?

Srs question.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Why is this exactly? If you have a little bit of room and your heel and ankle are locked in and you're not going to be sliding forward, then what's the issue?

Srs question.
Hi RTC,

Snowboard boots are designed so that you have firm pressure into the toe, heel and sides of the boot. The liner materials are compliant and are designed for this fit spec. The mondopoint system relies on this. Extra room will callow motion inside the boot and it will worsen as the boot breaks in. Snowboard boots pack in ~1 cm (one full boot size) in the first week of riding.

STOKED!

·
Registered
100 Posts
@Wiredsport Is the width rule true for volume shifted snowboards like the Orca? My feet are 265 and the 147 size model has a 257 waist width. The 150 has a 265 waist width...thoughts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts