Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking to buy a new board but figured I'd step up from the hand me down bindings I have while I'm at it. What's the rhyme or reason to binding shopping. I see theres flex differences but as far as that goes seems like a popularity contest with Union. Is it that some brands are better with certain boots, boards or a feel thing. Any recommendations for a 3rd year rider on a Salomon Assassin.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
What boot you're rinding, how wide your stance is, and what you do on snow is important. If you ride duckstance and wide, you might want a binding with canting. I say might, because I hate canting. If you do spins and jumps/drops, and some bumpy terrain, you probably want stiffer highbacks for support, like past jib flex. Also does the shape of the highback match your boots and riding style? Does it hurt somewhere when you move around?

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Unless you have specific preferences, bindings are about comfort and most are going to match an Assassin just fine. You want a do-it-all kind of binding like a Burton Cartel, Union Force/Strata, Rome DoD/Katana, Bent Metal Transfer, Now Pilot, Salomon Hologram.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
It's mostly a feel thing, 3rd year rider on an Assassin you could probably put any binding on it and ride it just fine. Drblast's list above are all safe bets you can't really go wrong with unless you can't get along with Now's Kingpin system or Salomons Shadowfit - They're two that do actively feel different to 'traditional' bindings. I personally like both those techs for their intended design.

Pick something in the $200-300 range with a medium flex, then choose what features you actively want. I love the adjustability of Romes, the out of the box comfort of Burtons, edge to edge power and smoothness of Nows, and the lateral freedom of Salomon. Personally never been a big fan of Unions but I also haven't spent enough time on them to change that opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts