Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sold ALL boards at the end of last season and hope to be riding a 157 K2 Alchemist as a daily resort driver and 156 K2 Niseko Pleasures as a powder board this season. Looking for binding recommendations for these two boards.

Advanced rider (NOT a steep hard charger) with size 9 Burton Tourist boots (I also split). I'm assuming I'm looking for an All-Mountain binding with a stiffer flex for the daily driver and a softer flex for the powder board. I've always used Burton Genesis bindings, and can do that again, but thought I'd maybe try somethiing different this season. Also I've ALWAYS had issues with the toe strap on Burton bindings staying in place.

Some important features:
1. Durability
2. Lightweight
3. Boot fit
4. Comfort

I like simplicity in a binding, and will tend to "set it and forget it," so I'm probably not looking for a binding that requires a ton of micro-adjustments.

I've looked at Rome Katanas and Vice, but found them to be pretty heavy. I've previously looked at Union bindings, and was REALLY impressed with the apparent quality (Altas/Force combo?). I've looked at K2 Lien AT's, but my size 9 boots fit between a Medium and a Large binding size. Although I've never confirmed this, it would appear that one size would be too big, while the other too small. Also curious about Arbor, Ride and Salomon bindings. Looking for quality, not budget.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Union Falcor would be a good option especially for the Alchemist. I have a brand new pair in arctic white that I'm looking to sell if you're interested in.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I like the Flux XF binding. Very nice binding and responds well. Nice straps. The highjack rotation is a bit messy. I do not really mind that the foot bed aren't very padded...

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
If you're going by how heavy bindings feel instead of weighing them or trying them out, you're going to get the wrong impression. Most bindings are within 100g of each other.

I'm not a fan of bindings where the heel cup, ankle strap, and high back are all attached with a single screw. That's a single point of failure that does sometimes fail. Union bindings are like this. Plenty of people still happy with them but I've had bad experiences.

Arbor are very similar to Union but the high back is attached separately, so if Katanas are too heavy I'd go for the Arbor Cypress.

Burton bindings are excellent if you don't want metal.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Have you tried the new Katanas with the updated ankle straps? I had the previous version, got the new one and while the old ones were heavy, the new ones are definitely on the lighter side (these new ankle straps shave off a lot of weight).
My friend has the Cartel X and these are a great binding too.
If you’re into the lightest bindings possible - Burton X-base. I rode these most of the last season on all kinds of boards be it all mountain freestyle like Rossi One LF or Capita Asymulator or full stiff beasts like Amplids Pentaquark or Unw8 and these are the most comfortable full carbon highbacks I’ve ridden. But might be hard to find a Reflex version now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Now Drive Bindings with toolless kingpin on both boards.

I personally like the Pilot for more freestyle oriented riding

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Anyone here riding, or have feedback on, Nitro Teams or Team Pros?

It kinda' seems that Nitro gear, in general (like Nidecker), doesn't get much love.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
...(I also split)....thought I'd maybe try somethiing different this season. Also I've ALWAYS had issues with the toe strap on Burton bindings staying in place.

Some important features:
1. Durability
2. Lightweight
3. Boot fit
4. Comfort

I like simplicity in a binding, and will tend to "set it and forget it," so I'm probably not looking for a binding that requires a ton of micro-adjustments.
Looking for quality, not budget

Recommendations?
CLEARLY you did not read ANY of my post, and are just spewing hard boot drivel for no apparent reason.
However, I focused on the above...to which you could get to 1 boot and 1 binding to cover all your "important features," including split, "set and forget it" and you can adjust flex/ride for soft, med, stiff and a no binding feel within 15 seconds...that would get you quality without budget concerns.

Sir, I'll cease my drivel.

·
Premium Member
3,423 Posts
Anyone here riding, or have feedback on, Nitro Teams or Team Pros?

It kinda' seems that Nitro gear, in general (like Nidecker), doesn't get much love.
I had the Team Pros last season and preferred them over Cartel X. The big meaty ankle strap wasn't for me but every other feature is fantastic. Super cush baseplates, grippy toe straps, nicely cupped high backs, adjustable heel cups. If you ride the same binding angles on both boards their mini disks have a lock that stops them accidentally changing angle settings when swapping between boards.

Some recent chat on them here - Prices Going Up On Gear For 2022?

My vote for a single binding would still go to Rome - Katanas or DODs most likely. They're really not that heavy, Katanas feel light to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My vote for a single binding would still go to Rome - Katanas or DODs most likely. They're really not that heavy, Katanas feel light to me.
Besides not liking the the beefy ankle strap WHY are you riding Romes over Nitros?

And why Katana/DOD over the Vice? DOD seems a little stiffer than the Vice? Maybe DOD on daily driver and Vice on Powder board?

·
Premium Member
3,423 Posts
Besides not liking the the beefy ankle strap WHY are you riding Romes over Nitros?

And why Katana/DOD over the Vice? DOD seems a little stiffer than the Vice? Maybe DOD on daily driver and Vice on Powder board?
Romes over any other brand for me because of the Pivot Mount feature, that alone lets me keep pressure off my instep so their bindings are always comfortable for me. They have fantastic adjustability in general, I like their straps, I like their footbeds and baseplate dampending, I like their highbacks - really every thing about them. Durability too, I had a 2nd hand pair of Targas I got from an instructor friend. Between us those bindings saw over 200 days on snow for sure, more likely 250+ and were still bombproof. I bought a newer pair before they were discontinued and hope to keep them alive for many season to come.

I'm not recommending the Vice purely because the Alchemist and Niseko pleasures are both fairly stiff boards and I'd rather have a binding with more drive like the full wrap baseplate of the DODs or the stiffer highback that the Katana has over the Vice. For more middle of the road boards I think the Vice would be a great catch all binding and the features you get at that price point is hard to beat. In general I prefer stiff and responsive bindings though, so if you prefer that looser surfier feel you'll probably love the Vice.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
One reason I haven't even tried nitro bindings is the 3 degree canting. That seems excessive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
One reason I haven't even tried nitro bindings is the 3 degree canting. That seems excessive.
Actually, I run double positive angles (F25, R7) with a 21" stance width. I would ASSUME a 3 degree binding cant would work well with double positive binding angles? Maybe not in the front though? I really drive from my (mostly rear) knees when turning.

People who use Nitro Team/Pros seem to REALLY love them. You just don't hear much about them and, besides Pheddar, not many people seem to be familiar with them.

I've learned A LOT about boards during the past few years, but understanding subtle differences in bindings is still a work in progress.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I haven't tried any Nitro or Nidecker products, but I want to!

3 degree canting does seem excessive, especially if you ride ++. Why is 3 degree canting so popular right now though? My K2's have 3 degrees, but the nature of their tripod frame and the pods let you flex that out pretty easily. Still, I'd really prefer they did away with the canting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've been using Union STR for a number of years now. Solid, simple, not very expensive. Basically unions all mountain binding stripped of all the bells and whistles. Rated as medium flex intermediate to expert but I ride them hard in all kinds of terrain and conditions with no problems. Great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been using Union STR for a number of years now. Solid, simple, not very expensive. Basically unions all mountain binding stripped of all the bells and whistles. Rated as medium flex intermediate to expert but I ride them hard in all kinds of terrain and conditions with no problems. Great bang for the buck.
As a recovering Union addict, I respectfully disagree with recommending the STR for a stiff board like the Alchemist.
The STR’s flex will not be sturdy enough for such a burly board.

The STR is a good binding for its place in the Union lineup (and more power to you for making the STR work for your needs).

The OP is not concerned about budget.

Within the Union line, I would go Atlas and/or Falcor- as both are fairly stiff, have good dampening, and have a non-stick base to help prevent snow & ice buildup (which is good to have for a powder board like the Niseko Pleasures).

The Atlas has a standard disc, while the Falcor has a mini disc. The disc type could be a consideration and deciding factor, depending on your preference.

I personally prefer the mini disc because I like a little more flex and play underfoot. Some people (such as my friends) like the standard disc for a more “locked-in” feel.

Regarding toe straps: I have found Union toe straps to mold and hold onto my size 10 DC boots. This applies to 2018-newer Union, as they have been much improved versus previous years.

I recommend size Medium in Union for size 9 boots.

There is no “set it and forget it” binding unless you are talking about adjustments, such as forward lean and strap length. Screws on any binding can get loose after a shred session, so it is a good idea to make sure to inspect/re-tighten everything before every trip to the mountain.

And did I mention that I am a recovering Union addict? (No “fan boy” here). I also own a pair of Bent Metals and still considering Rome bindings for my 157 Stale Fish.

Nitros look good too and those are very underrated from what I am learning.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts