Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Rome Targas and had the impression that they were the heaviest of the bindings I own, but that was based on how heavy they *felt* compared to others.

But now since I'm bored and broken, I weighed all the bindings I own on a kitchen scale and was a bit surprised at the results. For reference, my wallet with a few credit cards in it and about $12 in cash weighs 100 grams.

From lightest to heaviest, including mounting hardware and screws:

1. Burton Malavita (Medium, 2014) = 900g
2. Salomon District (Large, 2014) = 1000g
3. Rome DOD (L/XL, 2018) = 1058g
4. Union TRice Pro (Large, 2017) = 1062g
5. Rome Targa (L/XL, 2017) = 1142g

The Malavitas are the most impressive weight-wise, but then again they are Mediums and the rest are Large or L/XL. (I've had trouble in the past with larger boots baaarely fitting in the Vitas)

The Targas are definitely the heaviest, but the difference between those and say, the Salomon District, was much less than I expected.

I was surprised that the DOD's came in as light as they did cause I thought they used the same base plate as the Targa with a flexier highback, but that's not accurate; the heel loop on the DOD's is thinner and apparently lighter than the Targa. I'm excited to ride the DOD's; I haven't yet.

My impression of the Unions was that they were "pretty light, but not light the Vitas" and it turns out they're on the heavier end of the bindings I own. The Trice's also seemed marginally heavier than the Atlas and the Forces when I bought them.

Lesson learned: You probably don't need to worry about the weight of bindings. The difference between the heaviest and the lightest is negligible and you can probably save more weight by waxing the top of your board with car wax and being diligent about wiping the snow off before you get on the lift. The differences within a class of bindings with the same sort of characteristics is even less.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Damn I just mounted my 2012 Union MC-Metafuses last night! Will need to take one off again...

Base Material - DuPont Zytel ST nylon
Highback Material - Carbon fiber
Ratchets - Magnesium/aluminum

These should be pretty damn light.

Edit: 829 grams! Nice :) Size L/XL

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Medium Now Drive 907 g
Medium Now Pilot 930 g

Pretty sure Salomon Quantums would be right down there, too, but I don't have any unmounted right now.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
So its too damm hot and bored...me thinks ya'll are weighing just 1 single binding and not the pair.

So according to tech specs...per single binder

binding with cleat 583g

However more importantly, the plan is to enlighten myself by the beginning of the season...so far seemingly on track

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
So its too damm hot and bored...me thinks ya'll are weighing just 1 single binding and not the pair.

binding with cleat 583g

However more importantly, the plan is to enlighten myself by the beginning of the season...so far seemingly on track
The pair won't fit easily on the kitchen scales ;)

What bindings are those?

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Doh..oh yea...forgot, I've got a kitchen scale...somewhere's in the creepy basement.

Perhaps cheating on the bindings...Phantoms

Phantom Splitboard Bindings

However so far 1 week in, got 3600g of my 13600g goal before the season off my lardness.
Thought you were comparing apples with oranges :grin:

Nice work! I achieved no fitness goals over the southern hemisphere summer..... Paying for it now.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

binding with cleat 583g

Yeah, if you'd like to weigh bindings according to what I did:

1. Weigh a single binding
2. Make sure you include all hardware required to mount it to the board. Disc, screws, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Medium Now Drives - 922g with mounting hardware. These are a riding buddy's and they seem really light for the promised responsiveness so he's stoked to try them out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2018 Burton Genesis X Reflex (M) = 856g
2019 Flux TM (M) = 960g

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi there

interesting thread:grin:
I´ve always been a sucker for light gear and i think it´s really a pain to get some information about the weight of gear online but its definately something to consider when buying bindings.
Sure it´s not the most important thing I look for in a binding but if the bindings offer a good, confortable ride but feels like an anker that would be a reason to consider a change (at least for me)
In my opinion if you are a hard charger and just like to bomb down the hill the weight of your bindings ie your setup as whole is pretty much irrelevant.
I even kinda like the added weight of my longer board which i use when I feel like charging. :grin:
As soon as you start to jib around in or out the park or you do alot of hiking the weight of things suddenly get a whole new relevance.
I actually never really cared about the weight of my bindings, i still liked light boards though ;-) , until i got my union contact pros.
I was like: holy hell these things weigh nothing:surprise: I mostly used burton bindings because they were just the only ones i´ve tried that really stayed relieable over the years, they are on the light side of things but how the unions felt was just on another level. So i decided to weigh them. I was pretty surprised to learn that the difference between the contact pro and the burton cartel reflex i had at the time (I think the 2015 model with the old baseplate i guess the newer models with the newer more streamlined baseplate will weigh quite a bit less) was just about 130g per binding.
So yes, the about 260g-difference (for both bindings) does make a difference!
The board just feels lighter when you pick it up and when you`re jibbing around especially when ollieing but also for spinning of kickers or on rails it just feels a little more effortless.

So for the sake of putting some information in the ether here is the weight of my current bindings:
All with discs and screws.

Union contact Pro 2016 size M: ~800g
Burton cartel M 2015 reflex: ~930g (That one is from memory though i dont have them anymore could be +/- 20g or so)
Frankenbinders the ones i use mostly now: diode baseplates 2016 size M with cartel straps and highback: ~840g
The Burton EST ones are without the screws because I don´t know if i should include only the male part (12g) or the female part of the screw too, since the female ones technically are inserts so they´re probably more board than binding, both would add 25g)

Burton Cartel EST 2015 size M : ~895g
Burton diodes EST 2016 size M: ~995g

·
Registered
718 Posts
Flow NX2 Fusion L Black 2018 - 1071g for one binding with everything included.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Be sure to knock the snow off of your topsheet. Bang, you probably just saved more weight than the difference between the heaviest and lightest bindings in the market.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Be sure to knock the snow off of your topsheet. Bang, you probably just saved more weight than the difference between the heaviest and lightest bindings in the market.
I like the snow on my top sheet. Don't tell me how to live my life.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Medium Now Drives - 922g with mounting hardware. These are a riding buddy's and they seem really light for the promised responsiveness so he's stoked to try them out.
For the response they have and at that weight, the Drives are pretty impressive.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts