Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
For the response they have and at that weight, the Drives are pretty impressive.
Oh hell yeah, I've ridden these on my buddy's Yes Optimistic and they were super responsive. One of the few bindings I'd consider as a replacement for my Targas, although I like the straps and pivot mount on the Targas better.

I also feel like my size 10's baaaarely fit in the Medium Now's so I have that same in-between sizing problem that I do with Burton bindings. Still, on medium Malavita's I feel like I just overpower the binding and I got none of that from the Drives. Excellent design.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Oh hell yeah, I've ridden these on my buddy's Yes Optimistic and they were super responsive. One of the few bindings I'd consider as a replacement for my Targas, although I like the straps and pivot mount on the Targas better.

I also feel like my size 10's baaaarely fit in the Medium Now's so I have that same in-between sizing problem that I do with Burton bindings. Still, on medium Malavita's I feel like I just overpower the binding and I got none of that from the Drives. Excellent design.
Drives are great. Also Rome has great straps and buckles; they're kinda heavy and have a lot of little nuts and bolts... they don't come loose and stuff. So the only thing is not as plug and play as the others and the weight. Neither is a big deal.

I'm US10.5 so it's also a pain... I just get bulky boots (Vans, ThrityTwo - luckily they fit my feet very well) and go ok with L bindings...

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Drives are great. Also Rome has great straps and buckles; they're kinda heavy and have a lot of little nuts and bolts... they don't come loose and stuff. So the only thing is not as plug and play as the others and the weight. Neither is a big deal.

I'm US10.5 so it's also a pain... I just get bulky boots (Vans, ThrityTwo - luckily they fit my feet very well) and go ok with L bindings...
I was tossing around the idea of a Rome franken-binding cause I think a DoD with pivot mount would be pretty great. I have DoD's, Targas, and the older style Katanas now and I want those all combined somehow. Maybe the new stiffer Katana is exactly that.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My plan exactly.
Can we (and by "we" I mean "you") ask someone at Rome to make a pivot mount DoD for 2021? That would rock.

Looks like the square hole in the Targa and Katana heel loop is larger than the three on the DoD. I guess I could throw a DoD highback and strap on a Targa base but the Targa base is beefier than the DoD one.

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
My plan exactly.
Can we (and by "we" I mean "you") ask someone at Rome to make a pivot mount DoD for 2021? That would rock.

Looks like the square hole in the Targa and Katana heel loop is larger than the three on the DoD. I guess I could throw a DoD highback and strap on a Targa base but the Targa base is beefier than the DoD one.
I have done zero research into the compatibility. This makes me sad. They probably wont add pivot to the DOD since that's a defining upgrade to Targa and as the team binding no pivot is one less thing to break or go wrong. I may have to do what you're saying and go Targa with DOD straps and highbacks...

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I have done zero research into the compatibility. This makes me sad. They probably wont add pivot to the DOD since that's a defining upgrade to Targa and as the team binding no pivot is one less thing to break or go wrong. I may have to do what you're saying and go Targa with DOD straps and highbacks...
I don't have a Vice to check but I am wondering if the Vice pivot mount is different enough that it might fit in the DoD. I'd be happy with the reduced angle options on a DoD if it helped them sell Targas too. And next year's Targa has the cool toe strap so maybe the completely different upgraded straps are enough to differentiate it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow thats really light! Even lighter than my Contact Pros!
I wonder where they managed to shave this weight off, is it really just the onepiece-baseplate?
I weighted all the parts of my Diode Est (2016 model) against my Cartel Est to see where the weight difference comes from, so I could make the lightest possible hybrid.

The diodes (size M) weighs just over 1kg - 1005g with screws. Whereas the Cartels weigh around 100g less - 909g (size M 2015 model with screws).
When I weighted all the parts though; straps, hichbacks baseplates and footbeds, I found that the majority of the weight-difference comes from the footbed. The springbed is really heavy: 205g, whereas the Cartels EVA-footbed only weighs 125g. The highback of the Diodes is also abit heavier around 20g more a piece. The straps just have some minor differences. I expected the carbon baseplate of the diode to make a big difference though. Turns out: There is only a 15g difference beteween the two baseplates! So carbon vs glass-nylon doesnt really make a huge difference weight-wise.

So I wonder where they managed to shave off 160g per binding compared to my cartels - thats alot!

·
Registered
330 Posts
All the hardware is titanium and nothing is tool-less plus the foot bed is very thin. I've been toying with the idea of using them on my skipjack without the foot bed since it already has padding. The board feel should be insane!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hahah well, its definately worth a try :-D

Personally, Im more of a shockabsorbtion over boardfeel guy - so I would kick the thinbed out for a more cushioned footbed anyway...
Im still thinking about buying an X-Base too though. I would probably swap the footbed out for the springbed.
I love the repsonse and the feel of the diodes but I just cant get over the weight of them.
I caught myself alot of times mounting my cartels instead of the diodes just to save a little weight, even though they are less responsive. And this solution still cant completely satisfy me in terms of weight. Yes, burton bindings Est and Reflex are not heavy by any means but since I experienced my the contact pros - everything significantly heavier than them just feels really heavy end restrictive....
Compared to my lighter bindings, the diodes just feel like an anker.

The Springbed would make the X-base significantly heavier but it would still be quite light. The feeling of the springed is just awesome and it gives you WAY more response compared to an EVA-Footbed.
I just dont know if the response would be too much for me or if I would miss the hinge-system with the X-base...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I'm confused is this a Biking forum? I bet if we all agree to pay $1,000 we can get bindings that are down to 500 grams each! Best part is they'll feel the exact same.

I love the industry more than most anyone but I'm more on the functional working tech side than stats just to say stats thing. In my head I just always go "do they make sure they go to the bathroom before getting on the board to reduce weight, do they decide not to carry a protein bar because of the added weight?"

(Caveat backcountry hiking is a completely different story)

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm confused is this a Biking forum? I bet if we all agree to pay $1,000 we can get bindings that are down to 500 grams each! Best part is they'll feel the exact same.

I love the industry more than most anyone but I'm more on the functional working tech side than stats just to say stats thing. In my head I just always go "do they make sure they go to the bathroom before getting on the board to reduce weight, do they decide not to carry a protein bar because of the added weight?"

I still have the first board I bought, a 90's O-Sin 163W. I got it on sale with some horrible bindings that didn't have a front ratchet. I never realized how heavy that board was until I got a new Burton Dominant that weighed about the same with bindings as the old board did without. I could never understand why I was so tired at the end of the day when my buddy was still going strong, but the next day out with the new lighter board I was the one who wanted to keep going.

So while my favorite bindings (Targa) are actually the heaviest ones on here, weight is still a consideration. If I could have a binding that rode exactly like the Targas but 100g lighter I'd jump on that depending on the cost. I still hate paying more than $200 for bindings and luckily I can pick Targas up for less than that on sale.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Well thats funny. I bike too and I always feel that people way overthink the whole weight of everything :-D With my bike I dont really care that much about the weight.

I agree with you that weight can be soemthing pretty stupid to focus on for snowboard gear too.
And Im definately with you on the issue that function and comfort are the most importand parts when it comes to bindings - thats why i still use burton bindings and didnt abandon the ship yet to get some ultralight fully carbon bindings - because I ilke the comfort of burton binders more and I think they are more reliable.

I also dont buy snowboards because of their weight. Yes light snowboards are fun, especially for riding park and messing around on piste but in my experience they just fall apart sooner than the heavier, and therefore heftier constructed conterparts I`ve owned.
Boot weight is pretty noticeable - but i dont watch out for light boots either. With boots fit stands above all else. and then function - meaning flex and longevity aka flex retention.

With bindings though, I believe there really is something to gain. Yes, I guess to some extend you will still sacrifice a little bit durability but in recent years some companies have proofen, that one can build durable yet light bindings. (like union for example). Me personally, I do notice lighter bindings, even if its just 50g per binding - I`ll notice it.
Im not saying that its a dealbreaker if my bindings are a bit heavier but if the bindings can offer me all the function I need, comfort, response, boardfeel, butterability AND reliability and still manages to be lighter than the competition I will be drawn to that bidning over a heavier one.

It also depends on your riding style though. If you just bomb down the piste you probably wont care about the weight of your gear at all. I personally even like a little added weight on my feet for bombing, makes everything feel a little more damp.
But as soon as you start throwing some freestyle elements into your riding - you will profit from a lighter setup!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I still have the first board I bought, a 90's O-Sin 163W. I got it on sale with some horrible bindings that didn't have a front ratchet. I never realized how heavy that board was until I got a new Burton Dominant that weighed about the same with bindings as the old board did without. I could never understand why I was so tired at the end of the day when my buddy was still going strong, but the next day out with the new lighter board I was the one who wanted to keep going.

So while my favorite bindings (Targa) are actually the heaviest ones on here, weight is still a consideration. If I could have a binding that rode exactly like the Targas but 100g lighter I'd jump on that depending on the cost. I still hate paying more than $200 for bindings and luckily I can pick Targas up for less than that on sale.
I bet that was a whole new world ?

I never really thought much about the weight of my bindings too until I got my Union contact pros. Compared to my older Burton cartels, which werent exactly heavy to begin with, they felt almost like I got no bindings on my feet at all.
It really is a noticeable difference - at least for me.

Board weight is really noticable as well of course. But in my experience with boards its more important how the weight distribution is (thinned out tips for example). I once got a slash paxson. which felt airy and light as hell. I thought that that was the lightest board I ever had. When I weigtet it though, I saw that it was pretty similiar in weight to my other boards. But it felt way lighter when riding and especially when spinning.

Im not a fan of light boards though. While they certainly are fun, light usually just means that theres less material in them - unless of course they have some crazy carbon-whatever construction...
So the material loss usually means a less durable construction overall. Every (noticable) light board I had wasnt durable at all. I m aware that this is just a very small sample size and is based on my experience so take that for what is worth.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

The board weight difference wasn't 50 grams and there was a lot more to that than board weight alone. Binding weight will ABSOLUTELY not affect fatigue if your riding lifts except for when you're actually on the lift and the boards dangling, but again snow weight will be ore than binding weight.. Weight doesn't affect turning strength, that's stiffness and board flex. It cant be felt when the board is on the ground in any meaningful manner. That's not binding weight that's all conditions, form, stiffness, >1% binding weight.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Me personally, I do notice lighter bindings, even if its just 50g per binding - I`ll notice it.
Im not saying that its a dealbreaker if my bindings are a bit heavier but if the bindings can offer me all the function I need, comfort, response, boardfeel, butterability AND reliability and still manages to be lighter than the competition I will be drawn to that bidning over a heavier one.
You CANNOT feel the difference in 50 gram snowboard bindings. that's 0.1 lbs. If I put one thing in each hand with a difference of 50 grams youd barely be able to tell which is heavier, let alone as part of an entire setup strapped to your feet.

To put it in snow perspective, 50 grams is the equivalent of 0.4 cm of snow on a 6x6 inch area of your board.

Or ~1.3 cm of snow on a square inch of your board is 50 grams.Youll fluctuate more snow weight than that each run, you wouldn't be able to even have a baseline to go off of.

My math is probly slightly off with conversions and everything but you get the point.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The board weight difference wasn't 50 grams and there was a lot more to that than board weight alone. Binding weight will ABSOLUTELY not affect fatigue if your riding lifts except for when you're actually on the lift and the boards dangling, but again snow weight will be ore than binding weight.. Weight doesn't affect turning strength, that's stiffness and board flex. It cant be felt when the board is on the ground in any meaningful manner. That's not binding weight that's all conditions, form, stiffness, >1% binding weight.
Again: I fully agree with you. It all depends on your riding style. If you dont get any airtime whatsoever, dont ever do a 180 or even a noseroll and just carve down the slopes regular: you wont notice the weight of your bindings at all. Although I guess it still affetcts the maneuverability of your board on some level but im sure thats not really a noticeable difference.
I even think the weight of your board doesnt really matter for just riding groomers. Alot of other things will have way more influence on how your board feels, how tired you get or how easy your board turns.
In that regard bindings are REALLY important too though. But in terms of flex, response, and above all: comfort.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You CANNOT feel the difference in 50 gram snowboard bindings. that's 0.1 lbs. If I put one thing in each hand with a difference of 50 grams youd barely be able to tell which is heavier, let alone as part of an entire setup strapped to your feet.

To put it in snow perspective, 50 grams is the equivalent of 0.4 cm of snow on a 6x6 inch area of your board.

Or ~1.3 cm of snow on a square inch of your board is 50 grams.Youll fluctuate more snow weight than that each run, you wouldn't be able to even have a baseline to go off of.
Yes, 50g is a very extreme example and its very subtle. I just took that number because its the weight difference of my cartels versus my union contact pros and I can feel a difference when I conentrate on it. And to be clear: yes, iI dont feel this difference while riding! I just feel it when handling the board. Read: picking the board up, riding lifts etc.

This changes when you scale the difference up though. When i put my diode est on my board instead of the contact pros, then thats about a 200g difference per binding. And that is REALLY noticeable - also while riding.
Again there is not really a difference for just carving regular but as soon as I do an ollie, a spin or even a noseroll- I really feel that my setup is just heavier than usual and that I have to work more to hop on to a rail for example....

21 - 40 of 54 Posts