Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
All else being equal the weight of the bindings doesn't really matter and since they're right under your feet it's not affecting things like spin weight. Of all the places to cut weight they're probably the least noticeable when riding.

BUT, when you're jumping a lot or spinning or riding lifts all day for multiple days with the board hanging off your foot overall weight does matter for comfort. I have some heavier boards that are 500g heavier than the light ones and with an extra 400g for both bindings (comparing heavy bindings to light ones) and the extra weight of the vibram sole on XLT TM-2's I ride over regular TM-2's, the grams can add up significantly for the whole setup. And you definitely feel 1000g of difference over a whole day.

Still not going to turn me off of Targas for most boards but if I can save half a pound by riding Drives or Falcors instead on a heavy board I might. For the same reason I wax the top of my boards with car wax so I can brush snow off more easily.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Is this where the skiers are hanging out? Wouldnt it be better to be in shape than have to worry about saving grams of weight? Is this a troll thread?

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
I'll take shock absorption and comfort over grams anyday. Targas rule.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'll take shock absorption and comfort over grams anyday. Targas rule.
Im with you on that! Depends on what boots you got though. With some you require more additional shockabsorbtion from your bindings, with some less...
Still with bindings the most important things for me are:

Comfort (shockabsorbtion) -> then response -> and then weight.

With todays bindings though, you can have all 3 ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
All else being equal the weight of the bindings doesn't really matter and since they're right under your feet it's not affecting things like spin weight. Of all the places to cut weight they're probably the least noticeable when riding.

BUT, when you're jumping a lot or spinning or riding lifts all day for multiple days with the board hanging off your foot overall weight does matter for comfort. I have some heavier boards that are 500g heavier than the light ones and with an extra 400g for both bindings (comparing heavy bindings to light ones) and the extra weight of the vibram sole on XLT TM-2's I ride over regular TM-2's, the grams can add up significantly for the whole setup. And you definitely feel 1000g of difference over a whole day.

Still not going to turn me off of Targas for most boards but if I can save half a pound by riding Drives or Falcors instead on a heavy board I might. For the same reason I wax the top of my boards with car wax so I can brush snow off more easily.
Yes, swingweight isnt really affected by the bindings, the weight you have to carry into the air when doing an ollie (and therefore everytime your board is leaving the ground) is though. There the weight of a setup as a whole comes into play, ie boots, bindings and board together.

But I agree with you that the weight of the board is much more noticeable than the bindings.
With boards though, the feel depends much more on how the weight is distributed alongside the board (reducing swingweight in the tips) and also how much pop you can get out of the board.
I remember when I got my Slash Paxson. When I first hit the slopes with it, I thought this was the lightest board I ever had.
Last season I got curious and weighted all my boards. I was really surprised. The slash wasnt really lighter than the others and all 6 boards I weighted were within a 75g-window!!
So if you put this in perspektive, a 200g difference per bidning is quite alot.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Rome Cleaver, M/L = 983g

These things are considerably stiffer than the Targas. Wow.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Rome Cleaver, M/L = 983g

These things are considerably stiffer than the Targas. Wow.
I also noticed that when I hand flexed them. I’m curious if they break in and soften like the Katanas cos the highback is also very thin. Out of the box, they really feel like if the highback was a full carbon one (while it’s 30/70 carbon nylon).

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Comfort (shockabsorbtion) -> then response -> and then weight.

With todays bindings though, you can have all 3 ;)
It might be this:
Durability -> Comfort (shockabsorbtion) -> then response -> and then weight.

A couple of seasons ago my Union MC-Metafuses got a snapped heel cup and I got replacements under warranty with no fuss. Sometimes the tech is lighter, but more brittle in the cold...

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I also noticed that when I hand flexed them. I’m curious if they break in and soften like the Katanas cos the highback is also very thin. Out of the box, they really feel like if the highback was a full carbon one (while it’s 30/70 carbon nylon).
I don't get the feeling they're going to break in much, they really feel like full carbon to me too. I just strapped into them on a board in my living room and they're no joke. The base is stiff too. As long as they ride smooth I think I'll really like them. These Auxgrip straps feel even better than the Targa ones which were my previous favorites.

There's next to no info on the Cleavers out there but my first impression is that if you wanted a lighter, stiffer, even more comfortable Targa, here you go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It might be this:
Durability -> Comfort (shockabsorbtion) -> then response -> and then weight.

A couple of seasons ago my Union MC-Metafuses got a snapped heel cup and I got replacements under warranty with no fuss. Sometimes the tech is lighter, but more brittle in the cold...
Well, of course durability is a pretty big factor as well. It´s still not the most important one for me though; A binding that would last me for years but is uncomfortable as hell is not much use to me whereas a comfy one which only lasts maybe a season or two is...

·
Registered
96 Posts
They r size M. Still brand new in box due to COV. 😭😭
Ok, well in that case the weight isn't even that impressive. Still very light but my Burton M reflex Bindings (Diode baseplate and Cartel highback + straps) are about the same weight.

I have a pair of Union contact pros M, which are just under 800g. I thought the falcors were even lighter. The Contact Pros are not really good bindings though - at least compared to Burtons imo. They are way too soft/unresponsive for my taste and still not as comfortable as stiffer Burton Bindings. The straps are too small and the baseplate doesn't feel as smooth as Burton re:flex or EST. I still would like to try the falcors, it seems like they would solve almost everything I don't like about the contact pros...

41 - 54 of 54 Posts