Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
I get what sounds like the same pain, but only sometimes. No rhyme or reason that I can figure out, so I'll stay tuned.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Could try leaving you boots looser at the bottom. I'm sure you with sort it out. Don't think its
the bindings.
Thats what i want to believe. I hope its not a binding issue because generally speaking bindings should be able to form to most boots right? maybe i need to adjust the ankle strap, and i dont even crank the bottom half lf my boot anymore, i just twist until i feel a light resistance. Ill try again tomorrow though and update you guys.

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Try pushing your bindings further toward the toeside to give yourself more leverage. Might be working your small footsies too hard to get on edge, and you've got a highback to help on your heelside.

I also ride Targas and Katanas now and couldn't recommend them enough, pivot mount is the shit, and footbeds are super cushy.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,219 Posts
Agree with Phedder on moving bindings toeside to gain leverage.

Also: do your boots have a stiff tongue? I know from my 32 boots that the stiff tongue presses down on my arch when strapped in when I press on toe edge the lazy way via the shins (i.e. via the boot itself), instead of pressing via using forefoot/calve muscles. If via shins, the boot is forced into more fwd lean and then the tongue starts to press down on my forefoot, resulting in "cramps" if done long enough. If I OTOH get on toe edge by getting my knees/weight over the edge using forefoot, my ankle and boot stays +/- in the same lean, no tongue pressure, no cramps.

I haven't found out how to solve this fwd lean tongue pressure problem, btw. Was thinking of hacking a part of the tongue out, but didn't so far.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you sure it is not an actual foot cramp, you can move your foot and wiggle your toes? Does it happen on toe or heel edge? How is the fwd lean set up on your bindings?
You may be over extending your foot.... as Phedder and Neni said to gain toe leverage you could move bindings toward toe edge and and fwd lean for better heel. But also you may be overextending your foot because you are not bending your knees enough. Have somebody film you....
If it is not pressure from bindings problem, you can also work on feet exercises, stretching, strengthening etc.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If dual zone boa, try leaving the lower zone loose/just barely snug. I was cranking mine down and got the same pain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you have high arches?
I've been riding for 20+ years and I have very high arches and in turn the bone is quite "high" where the 2nd strap goes across the boot. I've tried everything and nothing seems to help...when I was younger I dealt with it and just kept going but now that I'm older, the 2nd half of the day can be a bit tough to continue on....especially when the resort doesn't have a gondola (where I can unbuckle and take all pressure off the top of my foot bone. I've heard the burton step ons alleviate the pressure on that spot since no strap there, and likely am going to give in and go by the set up this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

TL ; DR I have properly fitted boots, union stratas on a DOA and union forces on a slush slasher. Both set ups tend to give me pretty gnarly foot pain when riding on an edge for an extended portion of time or when having to stop abruptly and there's a lot of force either on toes or heel side. What's wrong?

Sup guys. This might be a bit long so bear with me. This foot pain started a year ago when I started to take boarding seriously. Bought my own gear and unfortunately, bought over sized boots. Vans aura pro double boa size 8.5. I ended up with pretty bad boot pain and I posted about the issue here and most attributed it to an over sized boot which was true. I would get heel lift etc causing me to compensate with cranking down the ankle strap on my union forces.

This year, I went to proper boot fitter who put me in some DC control boas sz 8 (told me DC's would be good for my semi wide foot). I measured to a size 7.5 (25.4cm) on size guide on this forum but there was no way I was going to fit in a 7.5 in the DC's. I also have Sidas insoles.

So the issue occurs whenever I'm riding too long on a certain edge and my foot goes through this "cramp" like pain that causes me to literally just stop mid run and take a seat. The pain is relieved once I'm out of bindings leading me to believe the bindings might be the issue and I know for a fact I don't over tighten my ankle straps. I make sure the ankle straps are just snug enough to keep my boot in place. I don't crank my boots either. The pain happens in the midfoot and I honestly don't know what's causing it. Is it the way the binding strap just sits over my small but wide foot? Would bindings like Rome targas or Katanas help with this type of pain since the angle of the ankle strap can be adjusted so it could sit higher on my ankle? I honestly cant make it out, you guys might have more insight than I do. Please do let me know if you've experienced this before and what you've done to alleviate the cramping pain. Is it something my foot has to get used to since I'm only about 20 days in in terms of my snowboarding career. (20 days in a span of 3 years)

My current set up is DC control boa boot, on a DOA and union stratas binding angle -6/+15 goofy rider

Some things I might add; I don't have heel lift, and I'm a pretty athletic build, 5'9 180lbs. I can walk around all day in the boots, but throw me in a semi long run and my feet are toast. This pain has been really holding me back from improving and with confidence in the park. Would putting some padding on the midfoot area of the liner help at all? thanks in advance!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts