Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking around for some bindings to pair with my FA for all mountain riding. I was looking at Union Force, but the heel cup looks similar to the Contact pros I already have that seems to pinch and wreck my boots in the heel. I’ve been looking at Burton Cartels, Malavita’s and Now Drive bindings. I’ve also been suggested Rome D.O.D’s. Any of these have Pros or Cons against the others

my boots are a burton Imperial size 10 UK with reduced footprint, so I think I’m in that shitty size group where I have to pick between Med and Large bindings. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
If money is no object and you lean toward freeride on the FA then Burton Genesis X EST are killer. Other than that though I think other brands are a bit cheaper for what you get. Cartels would certainly work though if you're considering DoD's.

Now Drives are great too, and they're very responsive and locked-in if that's what you're looking for.

With the Rome's you don't have to pick, you're squarely in the L/XL size. I'd also look at Targas if you're a very aggressive rider or want pivot mount. Otherwise DoD's are great. I will happily put either on my Mullair which is similar to the FA.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately money is a bit of an object, which is why I was looking at Cartels instead of Malavitas. Out of those two I think I prefer the Vitas, but didn’t know how much I’d be sacrificing by saving a bit of money on the cartels.
The DODs are similar price to Malavitas.

just realised I had been looking at Now Pilots, not the Drives as I originally said. I think from what I’ve read, the Drives are a bit too stiff for what I want. And everywhere seems to say Now ratchets aren’t the best.

I’m gonna have a look at Targa’s but I think I’m choosing between DODs and Malavitas. I also don’t know if I should get the EST vita’s or not. I think in the long run I’m more likely to change my board again before I change the binding, so having a disk option would probably make the most sense

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
In that case I own two DoDs and sold my Vita's. In fairness those Vita's were the 2014 reflex model and I think they've stiffened the base since then but at the time they weren't as responsive as I wanted for stiffer all-mountain boards. Great for freestyle though.

But personally DoDs check all the boxes for me and you can find them used or last year's model for really cheap.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I was at the stage where I just needed a few more people to talk me into DODs. I’ve never heard a bad word said about Rome bindings

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I think I was at the stage where I just needed a few more people to talk me into DODs. I’ve never heard a bad word said about Rome bindings
The only thing bad I have to say about most Rome bindings is that they tend to be slightly heavier than other brands for similar response due to the metal. But that's a trade-off that they more than make up for with comfort, dampness, and durability. DoD's are one of Rome's lighter bindings too so I wouldn't even think twice about it. Not something I notice while riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts