Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! My Era just came in yesterday and now I need some binding recommendations. I'll be doing park riding but also outside the park too. I'd say about 70% park, 30% elsewhere.

I've boiled it down to a few bindings in particular.

Flow M9's (Regular or SE...?)
Raiden Phantoms
Salomon Holograms
K2 Formulas

I don't think I want a really soft binding, but also not a very stiff one either. Pretty sure all 4 of these are middle of the road, right? Which would be more keyed towards park riding?

Any other recommendations are also appreciated.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
If you're looking for previous year then you've nailed it with your choices.

If I end up with one this year I'll be putting my older M9's on it with new Hybrid straps, basically making them last years M9SE's. I'm one of the 1% that doesn't like canting so from 2014 it'd be Five SE's. My second choice would be the Holograms.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have the holograms and LOVE them amazing bindings blew my formulas out of the water. I don’t know about flow bindings as I have not used them but salomon made a winner with this binder. I use mine on my evo, blacklist, orion, villain and heritage I almost sold my now ipo’s cause of how much I loved them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're looking for previous year then you've nailed it with your choices.

If I end up with one this year I'll be putting my older M9's on it with new Hybrid straps, basically making them last years M9SE's. I'm one of the 1% that doesn't like canting so from 2014 it'd be Five SE's. My second choice would be the Holograms.
My apologies, I was indeed referring to last year's models for all of the bindings listed. I'm on a budget.

I haven't had any knee problems in the past snowboarding, even with crappy rental bindings, so my guess is that canting wouldn't really affect me much. My knees are fine. Do you think I'm correct to make this assumption?

Here are some M9's I found, cheapest one's I could find for size Large (I'm a 10)

Flow 2013 M9 (Black/Lime) (Flow FI12M5MNINBKL), Snowboard Bindings | Ambush Boarding Co.

Here are some Raiden Zero's I found for REALLY cheap, although they weren't part of my initial list: Raiden Zero Binding (Black) (Raiden 836253-001), Snowboard Bindings | Ambush Boarding Co.

I couldn't find any Holograms for a cheaper price, $160 is my maximum budget I think.

I found a really some really cheap Phantoms the other day, but I can't find them now. Maybe they've become sold out.

So yeah, it seems like M9's are gonna be the one's I go with, unless I'm convinced to snag those cheap Zero's, even though they are described as having a "skatey" feel. I longboard so I think I kind of know what this would be like. I typically ride with medium or loose trucks too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bump

Ok so I don't think I want the M9's, just because I don't want to risk trying the unique strap design because I may not like it. I have no way of trying it first, so I think I should stick with what I know. So if I were to go with the Flows, I'd be getting the SE's. The cheapest one's I could find are $180.

I also found some K2 Forumlas in the $120-$130 range.

Would it be better to save up a bit more and get the SE's or go cheap and get the Formulas for a good bargain?

Both are great bindings for my style (More park, still some all mountain) from what I've seen from users of all kinds. Again, I won't be in the park all the time, so I don't want a park-specific binding. A park-ish binding that's good outside the park too is what I'm looking for, if that is possible. Kind of like the very deck I'll be installing these on.

Holograms aren't totally out of the question either I guess. The cheapest I could find for them are $188, but I'm not sure if I really need to spend that much on bindings. I live in Indiana so I can't snowboard as much as Western folk.

Is it worth saving $50 more for the SE's?

If this isn't a straight forward type thing, and more of a personal preference thing, then what are some points that can help me decide for myself?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Nah just get Formulas. Aint nothin wrong with them and they've been the team favorite for some years now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah just get Formulas. Aint nothin wrong with them and they've been the team favorite for some years now.
Awesome, thanks Nivek. I think one time I remember reading one of your posts regarding which bindings had the best dampening on the market. I think you might have been the one that mentioned K2's but I could be wrong.

Either way, I'm convinced. Thanks!

I'm so stoked. Lol you and BA are the 2 main people that influenced me to get the Era, and now you with convincing me to get the Formulas...haha I'm so stoked. And with some 2013 32 Lashed boots with this setup (tried them on at my LBS today), it's gonna be off the chain. :yahoo:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts