Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

Last year I made the switch from my old Burton King to a Ride Slackcountry.

So far I am loving the board, but I have the feeling my old Burton Custom bindings are not doing the job for the Slackcountry. So, I’m looking for new bindings.

What kind of bindings would you put on a Slackcountry? I am mostly on the piste, but go off-piste every chance I get. I like to do the occasional jump or 180 but you will very rarely find me in the park. (maybe 1 day a year).

So I think I’m looking for a good, solid all-mountain binding that can take on high speeds on the piste and will give me enough off-piste confidence.

Cheers,

Fithvael

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To clarify a bit more, I have done A TON of research, on this forum, on the webs, youtube reviews etc.

I have a few bindings in my head, but I was wondering what you guys would come up with before I’d give you my list.

Hopeing for some advice,

Thanks in advance,

Fith

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I have my eye on a few things but I have doubts about all of them:

Ride Capo
-I am reading different things. Some people hate the metal, some like it. Some think it’s stiffer then the Targa, some think it’s not.

Union Atlas
Union Force
Union Charger
-From what I read on the forums, the differences between the Atlas and Force are not that huge. The Charger is more of a stiff all mountain charger? How does it do on jumps and tight off-piste tree runs?

Rome 390 Boss
Rome Targa
-I’m confused about these. Some have the Boss as a middle of the road stiffness and all-mountain binding. Others rate this a park oriented binding. Others say the 390 Boss is a great freeride binding almost as stiff as the Targa.
I read that some say the Targa is about the same stiffness but more adjustable. Others say the Targa is a lot stiffer…

Then there are the
K2 Company
K2 IPO
-I have read some good comments on both of these, but somehow there is less information on them and lower popularity it seems. What can I expect from these?? They look good from the specs and little tidbits I get.

Some other mentioned bindings for freeride:
- Salomon Calibers
- Burton Malavitas / Cartels (Im not a huge fan, but if they’re solid, im open for them)
- Flux SF45 (But they have no canting afaik…)

So… what to choose?

Again, my riding style is about 60% piste, 35% off piste (slackcountry mostly) 5% park / jumps on piste / 180’s etc.
I would love to try out canting, I ‘ve heard and read many good things about it.
I ride a Ride Slackcountry (rocker)

Any advice, preferable from personal experience?

Tnx again,

Fithvael

·
Registered
70 Posts
I rode the Union forces with a K2 brigade my second year riding, then moved them over to my Slackcountry for this coming year. I love 'em but I'd go ahead and write them off as a poor match for the Slackcountry. The flat footbeds aren't a bad thing per se, but they will give you chronic saddle crotch if you try to widen your stance too much. Canted footbeds will do you so much good on a rocker board I'd hate to pass it up, but I don't have cash for new bindings right now.

If you want to stick to Union, you might look into the Factory, which have canted footbeds. Otherwise you might try out the Burton Cartel or something from K2.

Capos suffer from Ride's generally poor binding construction. I've rode the EX and have had more than one run ruined by a strap adjuster or high back adjuster coming loose while I was riding and keeping me from controlling the board. Not a big fan, I'm sure they've improved since I rode them last, but I still hear people complaining about the lackluster design in the hardware.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there,

Thanks for that! Very useful :D

Im pretty sure now that I want something with canting and am looking into K2 Company bindings or Rome Targa's (I think the 390 bosses will be too soft for me).

Good to know the Union was no match with the slack. And good to know the Ride bindings suffer from bad construction. Two of my mates ride Ride bindigns (old Alpha's) and they have had stuff break regularly.

THanks again!

Fith

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
If you're looking for a stiffer not quite freeride binding I'd be looking at K2 Companys, Flow NX2AT's or Fuse RS, Flux SF's, Now Drives, Nitro Blackhawks, or Salomon Chief.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there,

Thanks for the advice!

What is the difference between the K2 company and k2 formula bindings? Is it just comfort or stiffness aswell? Seeing they are a bit cheaper and in sale here atm.

Havent looked into the Flow NX2AT's or Fuse RS, Flux SF's, Now Drives, Nitro Blackhawks, or Salomon Chief. But will definitely look at 'm now :)

Fith

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
From standard bindings..... Union force/atlas would be 1st choice. Flux RS second choice.

Rear entry, I love flow nx2-gt or SE. Stick with the flows that have the dual straps. It has a way better response to the binding. I rode the traditional power strap for 5 years and changed last year to the toe strap/ankle strap flow design. It was like my feet and board edge woke up from a nap......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts