Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The problem is you said you'd been using size 16 boots. If size 18 is your real size in snowboard boots (not shoes/trainers), it would be physically impossible to get your feet into size 16's. So something doesn't add up.
Sorry for the confusion. When I was a teenager I would cram my feet into size 16's, this is no longer possible. Basically it was foot binding and that was over 15 years ago, I've gained weight since then and my feet definitely have spread out in general. As an adult I have not found anything that fits my needs for snowboarding and so haven't done it in years. Currently my plan is to work with a local snowboarding shop to make custom bindings because I just can't figure out any other option. I hope they are willing to work with me but I know the price is going to hurt. I find it extremely frustrating that companies can sell boots that are impossible to actually use.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I've gained weight since then and my feet definitely have spread out in general.
That right there kind of proves all of our point. Thats increasing the width of your foot, you don't make up for width by adding length which is what sizing up is. Are you scared of getting your feet measured? 2 minutes no work and you can get real answers for your question, come join the boot sizing cult!

·
Registered
424 Posts
That right there kind of proves all of our point. Thats increasing the width of your foot, you don't make up for width by adding length which is what sizing up is. Are you scared of getting your feet measured? 2 minutes no work and you can get real answers for your question, come join the boot sizing cult!
He's going to be way bigger than 14 though, which is the largest size Burton do in wide boots as far as I know. Still might fit in something weird like Adidas I guess. Don't know what TM-2 go up to in wide models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hah, I feel that it's getting missed that cramming my feet into those was 15 years ago (note I said I was a teen so I was smaller as a human), my feet kept growing, if it helps I wasn't this tall at the time either. The current boots were bought after being measured by a Ride associate in store in Seattle so I'm not afraid of being sized. I appreciate the thought but I'm more asking about assistance with fitting a binding for the size 18 boots that I own versus arguing my size, which the focus seems to have switched to.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
2,151 Posts
Weather it's size 16 or 18, this is a tough one. BTW, as far as the foot spreading out, both my wife and I have experienced that recently. We both moved up 1/2 a size with our last pair of boots. As you age, your arch flattens and that increases the length and/or width of your foot.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
2,151 Posts
Hah, I feel that it's getting missed that cramming my feet into those was 15 years ago (note I said I was a teen so I was smaller as a human), my feet kept growing, if it helps I wasn't this tall at the time either. The current boots were bought after being measured by a Ride associate in store in Seattle so I'm not afraid of being sized. I appreciate the thought but I'm more asking about assistance with fitting a binding for the size 18 boots that I own versus arguing my size, which the focus seems to have switched to.
Good luck with that. I assume Ride didn't have an answer for you. Seems like if they make a size 18 boot they should make a binding for it. I'd understand if the binding is just out of stock, but if they don't make one at all, that's bad business. Good luck, you face a challenging issue. It's one thing to have big feet, but yours are beyond big...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yeah, it was unfortunate because in store they made it sound like all we had to do was call corporate but it seems that wasn't the case. They do not have an answer, they just try to talk to me about buying a new board.

It has been a journey finding everything including clip-in bike shoes (found a pair in Germany that fit!) but I've been pretty lucky that big shoes are becoming easier to find in general, even if they have to be special ordered.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Ehh, that can be a standard response in Seattle...or at least they said the similar when looking for boots years ago...but I'm on the small end of the spectrum 6.5/mondo 24. Oh we'll call corporate or you can order a pair for the production line...ya right...the only ones that got that service were the "team pros."...cause I called and emailed.

With 18's do you even need a board?

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Here's an idea. Find some old metal ride spi's, bent metal or some other metal based bindings. Cut them in half, then plate/screw/weld them to an underlying aluminum plate. Or you could manufacture some baseless bindings like the old ones and then just plate it and get some new straps...use a set of big high backs. If you know your binding angles, then just drill holes in the plate and some longer binding screws.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally found a pair of snowboard boots that actually fit but am now struggling with finding bindings that will fit with my boots. I have Ride Bigfoot Snowboard boots in size 18. I haven't bought a board yet because I'm doing it one piece at a time but I also know that will be a challenge. I used to cram my feet into size 16s and would rent and it was doing some real damage to my feet so I just can't do that anymore.

I'm 6'7" and 255 pounds so something smaller wouldn't work. I'm hoping someone out there has some sort of thoughts, I know the boots go up to size 22 so other people have to be struggling with this!
Actually have a solution! Flow xl bindings will fit a size 18 boot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So while I was unable to find any options that were already created and ready to sell but the good news is that I was lucky enough to find a local company (Boardworks Tech Shop, they're awesome to work with and enthusiastic about problem solving!) that was excited by the challenge and they made custom bindings for the size 18 boots. So stoked for once to have boots that actually fit perfectly that don't make me feel like I'm breaking my toes to fit into and now I have bindings to match. Now doing research into boards that will be a good fit but I am currently looking into a Skunk Ape board like the shop recommended. Wanted to give an update for those who asked!

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
So while I was unable to find any options that were already created and ready to sell but the good news is that I was lucky enough to find a local company (Boardworks Tech Shop, they're awesome to work with and enthusiastic about problem solving!) that was excited by the challenge and they made custom bindings for the size 18 boots. So stoked for once to have boots that actually fit perfectly that don't make me feel like I'm breaking my toes to fit into and now I have bindings to match. Now doing research into boards that will be a good fit but I am currently looking into a Skunk Ape board like the shop recommended. Wanted to give an update for those who asked!
Johnny is a good guy and does stellar work, he is my go to for board work

21 - 38 of 38 Posts