Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for new bindings. Currently on Rome DOD and have instep pain and pressure (boots are fitted correctly). I'd like to use something with the ankle strap higher up, I know I can get Rome's with the pivotmount but I don't like how tight my boot sits in the heel cup. The nitro phantoms look like they sit high up but just thought I'd grab some opinions and recommendations from here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have Katanas - pivot mount works great but I have the same issue with the narrow heel cup. Going to try new boots this year and if that doesn’t work will sell…

I also got a pair of Now Selects at the end of last year - heel cup is definitely wider. Straps are symmetrical and sit at a normal position but many of the other models have the strap you can flip. I would look for a pair with an h3 base and the flip it strap (now or jones)

·
Registered
55 Posts
What size boots are you in and what size Romes did you try? My 10.5 Kendos fit great in my M/L Katanas with a little bit of room laterally in the heel cup and even more in the toes.

I know Burtons have a high and low setting for the ankle straps.

Bataleon's new bindings are based on Romes as well, but you can flip the ankle ladders to sit higher or lower. Think they call it their "Kink Ladder" system.

Like the Nows mentioned above, the new RIde bindings have flippable ankle straps that give you support one way and flex the other.

I'd say Unions probably won't work for you, though, since most of their straps sit super low in my experience.

·
Registered
620 Posts
NOW / Jones bindings naturally sit a little bit higher because the heel cup sits higher. Quite a few of the straps are also flip-it so you can swap between "Surf mode" and "Freeride model".

Just compared my Jones Mercury versus older Burton Cartels (both medium), the natural attachment point is maybe a cm higher than the stock holes on Burtons.

Burtons also come with a second set of mounting holes... height of that hole is about the same as stock NOW position in mediums.

Go with Hanger 3.0 bindings, widest set heelcup. For sure avoid Hanger 1.0, Hanger 2.0 might work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts