Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth getting a season pass here for a newbie at the current rate? I would go fairly often but how much are lift tickets usually?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Is it worth getting a season pass here for a newbie at the current rate? I would go fairly often but how much are lift tickets usually?
Divide the cost of a pass by the number of times you realistically expect to ride this season. If it's more than a normal day pass, don't get a season pass. If it's less.... do. All their rates should be on their website.

·
Registered
898 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
How long have you been riding? Or is this the first time?
If its the first time.. go once or twice to make SURE you really wanna snowboard and that it IS for you (i cant think of any reason why you wouldn't love it)..

For me.. I get a season pass to Wisp (Maryland), i'm only about 40 minutes from there and I go every Saturday and Sunday.

I'd say get the pass! It'll give you a good reason to wake up and go shred, for free :yahoo: (well, after you purchase the pass..)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I loved that place when I went, wish it was closer to me honestly. I guess Wisp is the best spot that's closest to me, Timberline-Canaan Valley are closeby too. Snowshoe's a hike and for what it'd cost me I might as well go to NY or something lol

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Blue/CBK

Blue has a better park, Camelback has better trails. CBK requires a $10 parkpass and the manditory viewing of the burton safety film, on premises. The park is free at Blue, and in my opinion, it's the best place to learn the basics in Eastern PA. Although both Shawnee and Mountain Creek South have significantly larger features in their parks, neither of them get any snow so the conditions always suck. Blue usually has an adequately spaced jumpline with a couple 15-20 footers, culminating in a 30+ footer. And they make a lot of snow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Blue has a better park, Camelback has better trails. CBK requires a $10 parkpass and the manditory viewing of the burton safety film, on premises. The park is free at Blue, and in my opinion, it's the best place to learn the basics in Eastern PA. Although both Shawnee and Mountain Creek South have significantly larger features in their parks, neither of them get any snow so the conditions always suck. Blue usually has an adequately spaced jumpline with a couple 15-20 footers, culminating in a 30+ footer. And they make a lot of snow.
I`ve never quite understood how the measurement of jumps work... Let`s say you have a 30-footer, does it mean you need to jump 30+ feet to clear the knuckle of the jump?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I`ve never quite understood how the measurement of jumps work... Let`s say you have a 30-footer, does it mean you need to jump 30+ feet to clear the knuckle of the jump?:dunno:
Yes. You can only really give a range though. Conditions are constantly changing. Some have flatter projections than others.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you hit one yet, a nice park jump?
Not anything close to 30 ft, but I can straight air 10-15 footers without fearing for my life, haha! Gonna work on switch straight airs, and hopefully be able to land some 180s this season.

How about you? Advanced rider?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a pass for Blue at the end of last season for this season. I got into riding a little late in the season last year. Been to Shawnee, Jack Frost and Blue. Out of the three, I liked Blue the best. Maybe I'm biased because that's where I got completely comfortable getting down the mountain lol. I'm from Delaware so it's about a 2 hour ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Perhaps. I only 50/50 boxes and rails and I'm not a fan of spins, that's not too advanced. I prefer gapping boxes and rails. I like large straight air, methods, 180's and method to 180.
Yeah, very often a huge bs180 looks way cooler than a triple-something-1440, haha. What does "gapping boxes and rails" mean? (sorry for the n00b questions)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Haha Blue is my favorite mountain to go to on a weekly basis. It's the best that's within a day trip so I head up every weekend during the winter. I prefer Blue over Camelback even though it's 20 minutes farther away. CB has shorter trails and they have a slower lift system, and its very crowded on weekends. When I was there, lines were enormous and the conditions were pretty icy.

Blue has a nice variety of trails and it feels like you have many more to choose from than Camelback. There are 2 high-speed lifts that take you bottom-top and the lines move along pretty quickly. Mountain Creek... Oh MC. It's 35 minutes away from me yet I still refuse to go. Lines are crazy, trails are limited, but the park is pretty diverse.

Wow, that was one hell of a tangent. Blue has a season pass discount going on right now. Figure out how many times you'll go and if you'll save any money by getting the season pass or not. With a season pass, you can walk right onto the lifts, so keep that in mind if you're just breaking even.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought a pass for Blue at the end of last season for this season. I got into riding a little late in the season last year. Been to Shawnee, Jack Frost and Blue. Out of the three, I liked Blue the best. Maybe I'm biased because that's where I got completely comfortable getting down the mountain lol. I'm from Delaware so it's about a 2 hour ride.
same situation here but i started opening day at camel. Blue is def the best but the lift lines suckkkkk, they need another lift bad.

im from DE too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
same situation here but i started opening day at camel. Blue is def the best but the lift lines suckkkkk, they need another lift bad.

im from DE too :thumbsup:
In my experience lift lines at Camelback moved more slowly. Yes, the lines at Blue are long, but it's pretty organized and the line moves quickly.

Also, does anyone know Blue's opening day last year?

·
Registered
97 Posts
In my experience lift lines at Camelback moved more slowly. Yes, the lines at Blue are long, but it's pretty organized and the line moves quickly.

Also, does anyone know Blue's opening day last year?
Camelback does move slowly but they have more lifts you can choose from. Mostly the 2 high speed quads are packed but if you go to any of the triple or doubles the lines are usually dead, though it takes longer to get to the top. Blue lines are a mess from what i have experienced on weekends, they try to put it in order but i just doesn't work with all the dumb*** ppl & the kids.

I believe both Camel & Blue opened on Christmas week last year (went to camel on Christmas eve)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
This is why I love ski tracks.. I thought I didn't hit Camel until Christmas eve, but it looks like I got in a day on Dec 15th, so they were open then.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts