Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks all for replies. Nice to hear they are durable since i can’t find regular anyway.
Still i wonder, if they are durable that much, warranty sould have been 2 years at least. 1 year means only 1 season.

I have no experience of these other than regular, so this is just my point of view:
BOA looks most breakable since the mechanism is very big and extruded, make something possible to hit and crash it when riding or even traveling inside checkin baggage. People somethimes throw the bags to places there. Something can hit them always.

Speedzone looks more durable because of being less complexity and being smaller. Harder to hit it with something by a mistake. But as far as i know, to repair is harder.
Bıt if this is less likely to be broken, i would prefer speedzone. Because when they are broken its aleays hard to fix.

I love regular laces. Harder to make them tight but its just a minute.
edit: Also there are some techniques to make regular lacing tight. After each row you twist laces to keep tightenig.
(y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I tried the Ion step on speed lace at the shop, I was pulling so hard on the lace and nothing was happening, it was almost impossible to tight them ??? Is it better when the boot is broken in ? Or I was simply not doing the right thing ? I went with the Photon Boa instead but I like stiffer boots.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
There is no need to heave-ho on the speedlaces as if you are trying to choke your ankles to death. The reason they are called speed laces and is actually the fastest lacing method out there is that you only need to firmly tug at them for secure fits above and below the ankle. Really pulling them an extra few mms may feel more secure but also take their toll on the hardware. Locking down the inner boots more securely will probably cure the loose speedlace feel more effectively than yanking on the speedlace pulls. Broken-in boots will help, too, no doubt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I tried the Ion step on speed lace at the shop, I was pulling so hard on the lace and nothing was happening, it was almost impossible to tight them ??? Is it better when the boot is broken in ? Or I was simply not doing the right thing ? I went with the Photon Boa instead but I like stiffer boots.
i have noticed the same.
Thats why i prefer BOA

Question : Burton use instead of these metalic ropes the New England Ropes
So far i know , when this kind of ropes are wet, the loose a little from stifness. Or am i wrong?
My problem is that my calves are relativ thin, and if i have to make the BOA (or SL) every couple of hours tighter, then after a couple of weeks there will be no more rope to tighten

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
i have noticed the same.
Thats why i prefer BOA

Question : Burton use instead of these metalic ropes the New England Ropes
So far i know , when this kind of ropes are wet, the loose a little from stifness. Or am i wrong?
My problem is that my calves are relativ thin, and if i have to make the BOA (or SL) every couple of hours tighter, then after a couple of weeks there will be no more rope to tighten
New England ropes do not really have any stretch in them, nor technically get wet. It's more likely that the ropes are digging into the boot tongues. Also a lot more likely that your feet are bedding into the liners or the liners are packing out from your body heat.

Sounds like you could benefit from some shin shims like these.

·
Registered
323 Posts
you should probably try some on in a shop to get an initial impression. unfortunately from then on it is going to be a matter of trial and error to find what works for you, keeping in mind that as you get better your requirements will change. essentially you need to start somewhere, if i had to start from scratch with boots i would definitely go traditional laces and add something like the lace lock on the nike kaiju boots that would effectively allow you to have a dual zone with trad laces without the extra fuss.

given that you are starting off i would suggest focusing on comfortable midrange boots without too much fnky tech as you will probably be replacing them in a year or two anyway. the money you is better off being spent on trips and lessons, not gear (again, this is what i would do if i had to start from scratch).

with all that being said, make your choice and focus on having fun snowboarding :)

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Just to add, there are now buckles that can be used instead of laces, speedos and boas. ;) I have done all the other methods but now buckles are my thing...why settle for less. lol
Don't listen to this guy, he's gonna have you in hardboots and a onesie before you know what happened. :-D

21 - 28 of 28 Posts