Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gday All,

I`m an aussie snowboarder with about 25 days under my belt. I`ve just
returned from my first trip in about 5 years to Falls Creek, Victoria, Australia.

I usually snowboard in new zealand.

This last trip the snow was fairly slushy, spring conditions, but I got the feeleing that my board was just a bit long ( or stiff) for the general charge
carve type of boarding I do. I occaisionally found myself in icy chutes, for which I found myself completely out of control as my board would'nt flex enough to make contact with the ground between ice bumps.

Anyway I`d like some advice on a new board. My current board is about 8 years old, its a 159cm Lamar slayer. I reckon its fairly flat and quite stiff.
For the most part this board works at reasonable speed but won`t flex much for any ollie action and is generally a bit of a boat.

It was quite cheap when I bought it, and off ebay, so I reckon I can get something more suited to what I want to be doing.

I`m fairly short ( 5 7" ) weigh about 200 lbs and have snowboard boots about size 10. I'd like to start charging natural terrain for tricks, do some small rails / jumps in the park, but more often just charge mainly groomed runs and surrounds in australian / new zealand conditions - which are more often than not icey, occaisional powder, or slushy.
Id like to be able to load up ollies, which my current plank does not allow.
But I don`t want a full blown freestyle board, as I reckon I'm too old to get into that too much, beyond the occaisional rail ( old school skater I be )

I've been internet lusting after the gnu billy goat 156, but it might be too much for my ability.

Can you please offer me a couple of board suggestions for me to have a look at?

edit: weight in lbs - damn imperial guess made me much heavier than i am :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Burton custom or burton process.

If you want a skatey loose fun feel get the Flying V version.

If you want more precision or you see a fair bit of ice than get the cambered version.

Size 10 boots, no need for wide sizing.

I only know burton stuff, Nivek if he reads this can cover any other board in the universe it seems, plus he knows burton too.

·
Premium Member
5,619 Posts
Hi Chillbilly,

Stoked that you loving riding. A lot has happened in the last 8 years in terms of board tech. You are in for a notable joy increase.

The Billy Goat is a cambered deck (with a dip) so in that sense it will have some similarities to your current board and will not feel entirely unfamiliar. I would not concern yourself about it being too much ability-wise but the real question will be how much of a role park will play in your riding. If you see that growing, you may want to look at a more neutral model. If you see it remaining a small portion of your riding then you will love it and 156 will be a great size choice for you.

STOKED!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Not to discourage you from 156 billygoat and if wanting to load it up to ollie and blast groomers consider the c3 version. However also consider a 157 Rider's Choice. The reason (I've demo'd the RC and have a 159 billy c2) the billy is torsionally (twisty) softer, so it really likes to keep the nose in the fall line; and the result is that it likes to charge down the fall line...so in a way you endup riding lower with flexed hips/knees and doing lots of cross-under turns (to keep the edges parallel with the fall line)...being mentally aggressive...the way to control/ride the billy is to be aggressive and it can be fun. Verses a RC is alittle more relaxing and playful, it does not mind going transverse (torsionally stiffer)...across the fall-line and hop edge to edge and the mag is more pronounced, thus going down a steep chute you have some grippage...vs the billy wants to point it and go and its more like hang the fuck on to your bleeding bits and your control is by riding the thing via available terrain...like up the chute walls on the way down. I think either one is good, but its also about how mentally aggressive you want to be...cause the billy will demand that you are on point.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
I only know burton stuff, Nivek if he reads this can cover any other board in the universe it seems, plus he knows burton too.
Don't tell people this. I work at Qdoba, I make all this shit up...

Sounds to me like you're looking for an all mountain freestyle deck of which the Goat is not. It's more an all mountain/freeride feel.

Look into the Burton Process Camber, Arbor Coda, Flow Era, K2 Happy Hour or maybe the Subculture (haven't ridden it yet), Rossi Angus or Jibsaw, Bataleon Evil Twin, Signal OG, or a Nitro Team Gullwing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the tips guys. After reading those responses I probably want more of a 'relaxed' ride than the billygoat. I`ll check out some of those recommendations. I am keen to get something poppable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Liking the look of the Riders Choice and the K2 Happy Hour.

Question about the Gnu Riders Choice 2014-

I`m Goofy footed, so I`d have to ride the board backwards to use the asymetric design properly, are the nose and tail of the board identical?

Is it easy to tell which way is which?

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Liking the look of the Riders Choice and the K2 Happy Hour.

Question about the Gnu Riders Choice 2014-

I`m Goofy footed, so I`d have to ride the board backwards to use the asymetric design properly, are the nose and tail of the board identical?

Is it easy to tell which way is which?
It is a true twin, so both ends (nose/tail) are identical. There are markings on the board showing which is the heel edge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts